The building of Anvil II -- The Deuce

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Awesome, glad to hear the new unit bearings helped things out. :cool:

Thanks for that write up on it. The stuff on this site has got me wrenching, more than I ever thought I would. I swear, if I’d had this site, when I was a teenager, I’d have probably tackled the front end problems on Dad’s old 78 F-100.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

How difficult is it to replace a rear axle seal? Something that can be done in the driveway. I assume you can do it, without needing a new shaft.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
How difficult is it to replace a rear axle seal? Something that can be done in the driveway. I assume you can do it, without needing a new shaft.

It’s doable but getting the bearings off the shaft to replace the seal is a pain in the dick. I recently did one at work and I couldn’t even get them off with the press. Had to cut the old bearings off to just go to the seal

notnalc68

It’s doable but getting the bearings off the shaft to replace the seal is a pain in the dick. I recently did one at work and I couldn’t even get them off with the press. Had to cut the old bearings off to just go to the seal

So it’s where the bearings are pressed on to the shaft?

WJCO

Meme King
So it’s where the bearings are pressed on to the shaft?

Here's a quick picture I found on the net. The inner retainer and bearing are pressed on the shaft. You have to have a press to get the bearing back on when you change the seal regardless of how you get the bearing off, so you will need a press.

usa-10.jpg

notnalc68

Here's a quick picture I found on the net. The inner retainer and bearing are pressed on the shaft. You have to have a press to get the bearing back on when you change the seal regardless of how you get the bearing off, so you will need a press.

View attachment 279450

Great. That’s what I was trying to figure out. Whether I needed to take it to my shop, or not.

WJCO

Meme King
Someone around here may have an old rear rubicon shaft laying around they could give you with everything already on it. Beats buying a new one. I'm assuming labor on something like that will be about 1.5 hours at a shop.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You will NEED a press to get the new bearings on and if you don't have one, you might want to have a shop do this for you. Also, there is a collar that you will need to remove which requires some drilling and then chiseling to fracture it. If you're real careful, you might be able to cut it off.

Stotch

Caught the Bug

Yep, I just went straight to cutting.

You will NEED a press to get the new bearings on and if you don't have one, you might want to have a shop do this for you. Also, there is a collar that you will need to remove which requires some drilling and then chiseling to fracture it. If you're real careful, you might be able to cut it off.

These guys are spot on. I just did it on my rear D44 on the WJ. Pretty similar process I assume. As stated you will need a press to get the new seal and bearing on. I cut off the old ones with a Dremel and was just careful not to cut into the shaft. You can get a shop press fairly cheap (probably <= to the labor to pay a shop) as long as you have somewhere to put it. I've got some photos up in the build thread in my signature; first page, post #8.

Last edited:

notnalc68

I was quoted $271, at a local tire and auto I use, but I’d really rather get a quote from my gear shop. Idk if the tire and auto place knows beans about Jeeps, but the gear shop does.

WJCO

Meme King
I was quoted $271, at a local tire and auto I use, but I’d really rather get a quote from my gear shop. Idk if the tire and auto place knows beans about Jeeps, but the gear shop does.

You could also buy the bearing, seal, retainer and remove the axle yourself. Then take all of this to a shop that will do it, it's likely about half an hour of labor for their press time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Honestly, I might recommend you just buy everything you need, seal, collar and hell, new bearings too being that you're at it already. If you really want to save money, cut the collar off yourself and then take your shaft to a shop with all your stuff and have them press it on. Shouldn't cost much at all to do. OR, if you have the space, Harbor Freight sells decent presses for about $100.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You could also buy the bearing, seal, retainer and remove the axle yourself. Then take all of this to a shop that will do it, it's likely about half an hour of labor for their press time.

LOL!! Beat me to it by just a hair :crazyeyes:

Stotch

Caught the Bug

The parts are only $50-$60 and you can get a shop press for $100-$150. They're probably charging $200 for labor. If the gear shop charges you less labor it could be about the same as doing it yourself, you just won't get a shop press outta the deal ;)

notnalc68

Honestly, I might recommend you just buy everything you need, seal, collar and hell, new bearings too being that you're at it already. If you really want to save money, cut the collar off yourself and then take your shaft to a shop with all your stuff and have them press it on. Shouldn't cost much at all to do. OR, if you have the space, Harbor Freight sells decent presses for about $100.

So...I bought a HF press. What bearings. Timken, Crown, Spicer?

Top Bottom