The "I don't really have a good name and probably never will" build.

Jaydoc1

Looks great! Curious, where did you get that handmike mount from? Im about to install the same CB in my rig, I really like that mount rather than drilling into the dash somewhere.

A company called Cooltechllc. They make a great solution/all-in-one kit for installing the Cobra WX 75.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A company called Cooltechllc. They make a great solution/all-in-one kit for installing the Cobra WX 75.

Had the same set up back when I had my 75 and mounted it in the same spot. Nice and out of the way. Looks good!

Jaydoc1

Used a Firestik Firering.

image.jpg

Got my SWR meter today and realized that my very clever routing of the cable actually would prevent me from using the EVO HiLift jack mount to actually carry the jack. :doh:

So I just spent the last thirty minutes unwiring and rewiring it. Ended up using the gate mount that came with the CoolTech Kit.

My SWR ended up being less than 1.1 across all channels with no tuning of the Firefly antenna at all. Felt very lucky.

hbkid22

Used a Firestik Firering.

View attachment 129187

Got my SWR meter today and realized that my very clever routing of the cable actually would prevent me from using the EVO HiLift jack mount to actually carry the jack. :doh:

So I just spent the last thirty minutes unwiring and rewiring it. Ended up using the gate mount that came with the CoolTech Kit.

My SWR ended up being less than 1.1 across all channels with no tuning of the Firefly antenna at all. Felt very lucky.

Where did you ground your antenna if you dont mind me asking?

Jaydoc1

Finally getting ready to do some more upgrades to the JK!

My 35" Trail Grapplers are on their last legs so I'm dropping it off this weekend with Wes at Trail Jeeps to get some 37s put on. I'll be getting some chromoly axle shafts, a regear to 5.13, and some ATX Slabs since my ATX Cornices don't have the required backspacing for 37s. I had initially planned to replace my 3" Evo springs with 4" ones to fit the 37s but Wes suggested that we go with flat fenders rather than increasing the lift height. We had initially talked about putting the MCE flexible fenders on but I honestly am not the biggest fan of that look and have read that they are flimsy, as well. I have always liked the look of the "Wayalife Cut" so I decided to take the plunge today. Here in Colorado we have all kinds of horrible stuff on the roads so I really wanted to try to maintain the fender liners, as well.

I've only gotten the front fenders chopped and haven't trimmed the edges yet. The liners actually turned out pretty well. I figure I can get home with 37s before chopping the rears so I'll do that when Wes if finished with everything else.

IMG_7724.jpg

Getting started. Man making that first cut took some encouragement from the guy helping me.

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7726.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg

No, I did not use a pet badger to make the cuts as a few of my friends have told me based on how rough the cuts look. We tried several different cutting tools. My buddy's compressor wasn't working great so the pneumatic reciprocating saw and cut off wheels didn't get the job done. Ultimately we used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and I haven't even knocked the edges off with a file yet. We did use a Sawzall for the substructure. Gonna let it warm up a bit tomorrow and get everything looking good. I'm happy with the way the cuts turned out.

Jaydoc1

So the 37s are on and the fenders all trimmed. The 5.13 gearing is perfect for Colorado, so far. Headed back up to Trail Jeeps tomorrow to have the new gears checked out.
I'm still jealous cozdude got to see it first!

I can't wait to get to Moab this week and try out the new gearing and tires!

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7789.jpg

At the shop and the Spyderco factory (right next to Trail Jeeps, strangely enough) the day I picked it up. Pre-rear fender chop.

IMG_7873.jpg

IMG_7875.jpg

IMG_7878.jpg

Finished the fenders today. I'm thinking of dumping the rear bumper and getting the EVO MFG REAR BOLT ON D-RING MOUNTS tomorrow if Trail Jeeps has a set in stock when I'm up there.

Thanks again, Trail Jeeps!

Jaydoc1

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_7955.jpg

It's grown up just a little since the day it came home from the dealership.

Last edited:

boardsurfer

Part of me is glad I don't live in Golden anymore. Tim and Wes would get sick of me stopping by to sniff around the shop for new parts. Jeep looks great!

Top Bottom