The JK Factory Tire Carrier Sucks!!

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
So that it's clear, I still prefer and recommend a real tire carrier that is either mounted to the frame or solidly secured to the body. A solid hit to the spare from a ledge climb or drop can still do significant damage to the tailgate and rear glass - trust me, I have seen it happen. The only point I was making is that you don't need to spend $700 on a Chinese replacement carrier that I have personally seen break and on more than one occasion.

i'm going to get the evo tire carrier, but i don't know how i'm supposed to get the tire on. it's really heavy.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
i'm going to get the evo tire carrier, but i don't know how i'm supposed to get the tire on. it's really heavy.

A self-proclaimed body builder here on the forum once told me that too. Said he couldn't get it on without 2 other guys and 15 min. Me, I'm a small scrawny guy so I just use magical pixie dust. Using it, I can get mine on without issue and in about 2 minutes. :crazyeyes:

olram30

A self-proclaimed body builder here on the forum once told me that too. Said he couldn't get it on without 2 other guys and 15 min. Me, I'm a small scrawny guy so I just use pixie dust. Using it, I can get mine on without issue and in about 2 minutes. :crazyeyes:

how much do you bench? :crazyeyes:

pvanweelden

Whoah, sorry. I was under the impression they had upgraded the hinges. My bad.

No worries, I was trying to polite, while my mind was saying 'Wtf is this guy talking about' :D

Back on subject- I did add a bottom bumpstop to my factory carrier after I realized the daystar bumpstops weren't really doing that much to isolate the tire with the mbrp bracket.
1410544205185.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No worries, I was trying to polite, while my mind was saying 'Wtf is this guy talking about' :D

Back on subject- I did add a bottom bumpstop to my factory carrier after I realized the daystar bumpstops weren't really doing that much to isolate the tire with the mbrp bracket.
View attachment 99940

You know, that's a great idea and something that the old TJ's had. Don't know why they got rid of the lower isolators on a JK. :naw:

2013CGJKU

Whoah, sorry. I was under the impression they had upgraded the hinges. My bad.

Those hinges are probably the biggest gimmick in the automotive world since those electric superchargers that you were supposed to stuff in your intake tube! Haha!

Levi

2013 CG JKU 6-speed

pvanweelden

You know, that's a great idea and something that the old TJ's had. Don't know why they got rid of the lower isolators on a JK. :naw:

Thank you. It helped to stiffen up my 315/70 but mainly gave me a little extra peace of mind.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL!! Looks like the TeraFlex fanboys are finally coming out of the woodwork to defend their precious company on FB. :cheesy:

clackey.jpg

I should note that I made NO mention of TeraFlex on FB no did I make any mention of breaks - just posted up how well the factory tire carrier has held up on Evolander. :crazyeyes:

olram30

I saw that, guess you can't say the factory tire carrier is holding up either. What can you say without getting people upset.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
LOL!! Looks like the TeraFlex fanboys are finally coming out of the woodwork to defend their precious company on FB. :cheesy:

View attachment 99962

I should note that I made NO mention of TeraFlex on FB no did I make any mention of breaks - just posted up how well the factory tire carrier has held up on Evolander. :crazyeyes:

Typical..... So I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Your haters will take advantage of ANY opportunity to hate on you.

2. People who buy and install Teraflex products seem to feel as though they must defend their sacred TF name at all costs.....

It's pretty hilarious when you think about it. Folks getting their panties in a bunch.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I saw that, guess you can't say the factory tire carrier is holding up either. What can you say without getting people upset.

Apparently nothing even if it's on your own website. :naw:

What I don't get is why fanboys get so worked up over a whole lot of nothing. Don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Think that my recommendation on products is biased, don't buy what I recommend. Don't think I'm being truthful when I show PROOF of how a product has failed, spend your money however you damn well please. To suggest that I shouldn't share what I have seen on MY forum or facebook page is like suggesting that I shouldn't share what I have seen in my own house. It's so funny to hear these trolls accuse me of being some kind of Nazi or Communist when it is THEY who want to SILENCE me for speaking out. :naw:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Typical..... So I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Your haters will take advantage of ANY opportunity to hate on you.

2. People who buy and install Teraflex products seem to feel as though they must defend their sacred TF name at all costs.....

It's pretty hilarious when you think about it. Folks getting their panties in a bunch.

The sad truth is, I actually know this Clit guy. He even got his bodyshop to help us out with our VENGEANCE build back in the day. I honestly don't know why he feels the need to take on TeraFlex's fight now and in this manner. It's so funny how guys like him always try to make it into a money thing - as if I need or would even want TeraFlex's money.

olram30

Apparently nothing even if it's on your own website. :naw:

What I don't get is why fanboys get so worked up over a whole lot of nothing. Don't like what I have to say, don't read it. Think that my recommendation on products is biased, don't buy what I recommend. Don't think I'm being truthful when I show PROOF of how a product has failed, spend your money however you damn well please. To suggest that I shouldn't share what I have seen on MY forum or facebook page is like suggesting that I shouldn't share what I have seen in my own house. It's so funny to hear these trolls accuse me of being some kind of Nazi or Communist when it is THEY who want to SILENCE me for speaking out. :naw:

I only recommend products that I would personally put on my jeeps. I've bought shit products before and try to help people not make the same mistakes that I have. But some of these people's brand loyalty is amazing! I don't get it.

Something interesting is Mopar makes a High Lift Jack mount for the tailgate. Stock rubi wheel and tire is 72 pounds + 30+ pounds for the high lift + 5 pounds for the bracket = 107+. I believe a 37" nitro and a ATX Slab is 105

Disclaimer: These weight are just estimates based on shipping weights but just sayin. :rolleyes2:

heybob

Yup glad to see posts showing the good oem parts. There is a local group that swear by teraflex track bars and hinges. I've tried to explain the waste of money but I stop short of making enemies.

Personally the biggest killer of oem tailgates is the teraflex spare tire extender bracket. I've seen it do it's best at killing those tailgate welds. The directions say nothing about keeping the tire isolated. It's not adjustable so the spare just hangs out there like a giant lever.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Something interesting is Mopar makes a High Lift Jack mount for the tailgate. Stock rubi wheel and tire is 72 pounds + 30+ pounds for the high lift + 5 pounds for the bracket = 107+. I believe a 37" nitro and a ATX Slab is 105

Disclaimer: These weight are just estimates based on shipping weights but just sayin. :rolleyes2:

A 37" Nitto trail grappler is 85 pound and a mud grappler is 90 pounds. The slab weighs 30 pounds I believe. So the wheel and tire are a bit more but you have a valid point.

Top Bottom