The one where we build an Outlaw.

boardsurfer

So the tear-down has begun! So far, no busted knuckles. And I can safely say that the impact wrench I got for Christmas is the best thing EVER. :rock:

Slow progress, but I was able to get the tie rod out, drag link and sway bar links disconnected, brake calipers, and brackets removed, which freed up the rotors to come off. I then hit what I thought was my first hurdle. I had no clue where the huge socket that I bought for the axle nut went. I tore my tool box apart and even broke down and asked the wife if I had left it somewhere stupid. As she was telling me that she had no idea what I was talking about it hit me exactly where it was. (side pocket of the tool bag). So I zipped off the axle nuts and called it good for the night.

IMG_20180206_173415.jpg

If I'm not mistaken I suppose my next step would be to disconnect the speed sensor, then the unit bearing, the the ball joints? The knuckle needs to transfer over.

Slimebones

Nice progress for one afternoon. I would suggest some PB Blaster or some form of penetrant around the hubs before you retire for the night. Should help to remove them tomorrow.

edit: and the hammer that Clutch mentions needs to be bigger than the one pictured above. Hit it real hard!

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
If your new unit bearings come with new speed sensors, don't worry about removing the old ones. If not, be very careful taking the old ones out. They usually break. New ones from Mopar are only like 20 bucks. You will likely need a slide hammer for pulling the unit bearing. Parts store can rent one if you don't have one.

boardsurfer

I would like to get to the point of needing a slide hammer, but I cant get the bolts out on the passenger side. The 12 point bolt that holds the unit bearing is starting to round off on 2 of them. I have pretty limited tool selection here and certainly no way of applying heat which Im guessing the next best step.

Driver side came apart nicely though. I went ahead and ordered a couple new bolts.

WJCO

Meme King
I would like to get to the point of needing a slide hammer, but I cant get the bolts out on the passenger side. The 12 point bolt that holds the unit bearing is starting to round off on 2 of them. I have pretty limited tool selection here and certainly no way of applying heat which Im guessing the next best step.

Driver side came apart nicely though. I went ahead and ordered a couple new bolts.

You can use a boxend 13mm wrench too. Just make sure it's on there good and hit it with a hammer or use a 2nd wrench for leverage.

Slimebones

And not to be too repetitive, but use lots of nut buster penetrant on those bolts. Notice you can get some on the opposite end of the bolt head on those bolts you speak of.

boardsurfer

I've never used penetrating oil before. I have no idea how it works, but I am a believer now! I got the passenger unit bearing out! Should be smooth sailing getting the rest of the front axle apart now.

WJCO

Meme King
I've never used penetrating oil before. I have no idea how it works, but I am a believer now! I got the passenger unit bearing out! Should be smooth sailing getting the rest of the front axle apart now.

Nice. It's actually like little wet ball bearings that provide a rolling layer between the metals and yes it does work. Glad to hear you got the bearing off.

Top Bottom