The one where we build an Outlaw.

boardsurfer

Good day today! The Outlaw rides again!

IMG_20180303_162032.jpg

Started early this morning wrapping up the details on the transfer case. Basically double check everything is tight, connect the signal plug, breather and shifter cable.

Then Slimebones and I started on the drive shafts. I went with Adams 1350s. Pretty textbook install if not awkward trying to hold it in place to get the first few bolts started. They are not light.

After that we touched everything on the rear axle that we had left loose before, waiting for it to be down on its own weight. Satisfied that everything was torqued, we started on the fluids. Slimebones filled the transfer case and made a huge mess :D, I filled the rear diff and gained the privilege of smelling like gym socks and stale fritos. Gear oil is some dank shit. :icon_crazy:

Then we climbed in and took another tentative trip around the block. Traction control light was on. Turned itself off, then came on again a minute later. Odd. Then I realized I hadnt done any of the programing for the gears, tires, and transfer case. Fixed all that, went around the block, still with the light on the dash.

Doug set to looking at the speed sensors on the rear and discovered one of them loose (the one I did, of course) Pulled the plug, took the sensor out (that was a fight) cleaned everything off really well and put it back together again. The problem was that it was just really dirty and when I put it together, it never really made a solid contact. After cleaning it out really well, we had a successful trip around the block.

Finally, we did a quick and dirty alignment and called it a day.

IMG_20180303_162208.jpg

IMG_20180303_162147.jpg

IMG_20180303_162121.jpg

Slimebones

This was a real cool project. We ran into a few obstacles along the way, but somehow we kept our cool and got past them(getting the TC up in being one of them). Overall, I think things went really well. One concern we have at this time is trying to figure out why there is a 2 degree difference in caster readings between driver and passenger sides. (measured at top ball joint). All arms are the same length. (left to right) Also, we would like to pull the tie rod adjustment in a little more to get the alignment tits. It is as short as it will go. Synergy rod. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

boardsurfer

Looking even sweeter! :thumb::rock:

Thanks! I am beyond excited.

A couple observations driving around this morning. 5.13 gears - even with much bigger tires - make a massive difference! Shout out to my brothers grabbing second gear 10 feet into the intersection. My normal shift points need recalibrating in my brain, so that will take a little getting used to.

The 37s feel much bigger than they are. Maybe because I have been driving the wife's Jeep on 33s for the last month. But I certainly feel a lot taller than before. Steering feels light while moving and requires a lot of correction to stay straight in my lane. I suppose that is 13.50 tires following grooves in the road. It could also be toe in or lack thereof. Right now the measurements are exactly the same on the front and rear of the tire and that is as good as I can get because the Synergy tie rod doesnt go any shorter. It could also be a caster problem.

I hit the highway briefly just to get up to speed. I wanted to see how the tires felt and if I needed to have them balanced. They feel perfectly smooth to me all the way up to 70 mph so I think I will leave them alone.

I think that's it for now. Im going to go clear out the garage so the wife can park in it again. :yup:

desertrunner

Got a little more work done tonight. I think the hard stuff is finally behind us. The transfer case has been swapped. This thing was just a massive pain in the ass the whole way around. Getting it out sucked. Getting it in sucked. I hope to never have to mess with that again.

Because the thing weighs 100+ pounds, this is what we rigged up.

View attachment 294824

Looks good, doesn't work. Just not enough room to get it high enough and into place. So I pulled all of that contraption out, dragged the case up on to my chest and bench pressed it into place. I held it up while Doug turned the output shaft so the splines would line up. Once that happened it slid right into place. That sucked, but it worked.

I think that is the last real hurdle. Lots of details still to address, but I should be driving again before the weekend is out.
Haha I remember doing that exact same thing with my t case swap, the Jack I had didn't work so I rolled it on my chest slid under there and benched it up in there, only I didn't have a second helper to turn the yoke to line up the splines... pain in the ass but so worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

Haha I remember doing that exact same thing with my t case swap, the Jack I had didn't work so I rolled it on my chest slid under there and benched it up in there, only I didn't have a second helper to turn the yoke to line up the splines... pain in the ass but so worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man, we tried 3 or 4 times with different configurations for the jack + blocks to get it up there but it just wasnt going to happen. I'm glad it is done.

WJCO

Meme King
ThanSteering feels light while moving and requires a lot of correction to stay straight in my lane. I suppose that is 13.50 tires following grooves in the road. It could also be toe in or lack thereof. Right now the measurements are exactly the same on the front and rear of the tire and that is as good as I can get because the Synergy tie rod doesnt go any shorter.

I bet the tires are part of it. I noticed a very similar symptom with the tires that I just got from you. It's been strange to get used it, but I like it more.

As far as your tie rod, that makes no sense. The PR44 is the same as an OEM axle as far as the side to side length.

boardsurfer

it is weird for sure. The adjuster wont go in any more than it already is. What I need to do is take it apart and see of the TRE will go into the adjuster any more. There are no threads showing there which is why I didnt do that already, but after some thought, I should definitely check it out to see.

WJCO

Meme King
it is weird for sure. The adjuster wont go in any more than it already is. What I need to do is take it apart and see of the TRE will go into the adjuster any more. There are no threads showing there which is why I didnt do that already, but after some thought, I should definitely check it out to see.

Is this a new tie rod or did you have it on your old axle? If it's new, measure it from eye to eye and compare it with your old OEM one.

Top Bottom