The one where we build an Outlaw.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Castle nuts and cotter pins are such a pain. Trying to balance the right torque, with lining up the hole for the pin is very frustrating.

A trick I picked up from my aviation maintenance days was to torque it to the lowest torque limit, then set the torque wrench up to the highest limit and make small incremental adjustments until it lines up or clicks, if it doesn’t line up between the minimum torque and maximum torque, something is wrong. Maybe something you already knew but just thought I’d throw it out there.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Slimebones

A trick I picked up from my aviation maintenance days was to torque it to the lowest torque limit, then set the torque wrench up to the highest limit and make small incremental adjustments until it lines up or clicks, if it doesn’t line up between the minimum torque and maximum torque, something is wrong. Maybe something you already knew but just thought I’d throw it out there.

Good advice, but most often the two (minimum & maximum) are not given, just usually the max.

WJCO

Meme King
Don't know if this is correct, but i was taught with castle nuts to torque to spec. If hole didn't line up, tighten slightly further until it did. Regardless with a tapered stud, you should be fine however you did it.

boardsurfer

Don't know if this is correct, but i was taught with castle nuts to torque to spec. If hole didn't line up, tighten slightly further until it did. Regardless with a tapered stud, you should be fine however you did it.

This is basically what the Synergy instructions say. Torque it down, then add whatever necessary to line them up.

Slimebones

What I have never liked however is, when you got just past that last hole, (at requited torque) and you have to go a whole helluva lot tighter to get to the next hole to line up for the cotter pin. Know what I mean?

WJCO

Meme King
What I have never liked however is, when you got just past that last hole, (at requited torque) and you have to go a whole helluva lot tighter to get to the next hole to line up for the cotter pin. Know what I mean?

Yep. I do.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Looks like carpet and a recliner there bud. Your woman is very understanding. Just move it inside. You have it made!!

That’s his man cave. Sports illustrated swim suit edition and bottle of hand lotion just out of frame ....

boardsurfer

Got a little more work done tonight. I think the hard stuff is finally behind us. The transfer case has been swapped. This thing was just a massive pain in the ass the whole way around. Getting it out sucked. Getting it in sucked. I hope to never have to mess with that again.

Because the thing weighs 100+ pounds, this is what we rigged up.

IMG_20180301_182337.jpg

Looks good, doesn't work. Just not enough room to get it high enough and into place. So I pulled all of that contraption out, dragged the case up on to my chest and bench pressed it into place. I held it up while Doug turned the output shaft so the splines would line up. Once that happened it slid right into place. That sucked, but it worked.

I think that is the last real hurdle. Lots of details still to address, but I should be driving again before the weekend is out.

WJCO

Meme King
Got a little more work done tonight. I think the hard stuff is finally behind us. The transfer case has been swapped. This thing was just a massive pain in the ass the whole way around. Getting it out sucked. Getting it in sucked. I hope to never have to mess with that again.

Looks good, doesn't work. Just not enough room to get it high enough and into place. So I pulled all of that contraption out, dragged the case up on to my chest and bench pressed it into place. I held it up while Doug turned the output shaft so the splines would line up. Once that happened it slid right into place. That sucked, but it worked.

I think that is the last real hurdle. Lots of details still to address, but I should be driving again before the weekend is out.

I feel your pain. Been there. Glad you're past that point and got it installed.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

View attachment 294824

Awesome! Doesn't sound like much fun, but sure it was worth it[emoji106]

mcflurry301

View attachment 294824

What is this orange brace? Safe to assume to keep it from exploding with larger tires and other heavy and bigger things turning!

boardsurfer

What is this orange brace? Safe to assume to keep it from exploding with larger tires and other heavy and bigger things turning!

Something like that yeah. The previous owner of the case put it on, I told him I didnt want it, he didnt want to take it off. The price was fair so I didnt complain. I cant remember the name of the company that makes it but if you google transfer case brace you'll find it.

Top Bottom