THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED - Part 2 : Adventures on the Pony Express Trail

Awesome pics! Looks like a great adventure, I just can't figure out why my pictures don't turn out as good as your guys.

Great share! For mapping your routes and stuff are you doing it all digital? Or did u collect detailed maps and shooting with a compass? Only ask cause I would imagine out in that remote of a area digital might not be the most detail.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Great share! For mapping your routes and stuff are you doing it all digital? Or did u collect detailed maps and shooting with a compass? Only ask cause I would imagine out in that remote of a area digital might not be the most detail.

Based on paper maps, I plot my routes using satellite imagery to verify that the routes still exist and then download them onto my phone. I should note, this does not guarantee that the routes are still open and there are a lot of times where we have to turn around and double back out the way we came. This can really suck but it's all part of the fun.

Thanks so much for all the pictures and descriptions. I never knew Nevada had so much to explore. I have so many more places to add to my list. Finally got to Moab last fall and exploring all of it will take many years. So many places on my list west of Denver!

Based on paper maps, I plot my routes using satellite imagery to verify that the routes still exist and then download them onto my phone. I should note, this does not guarantee that the routes are still open and there are a lot of times where we have to turn around and double back out the way we came. This can really suck but it's all part of the fun.

That's sounds like a blast! Modern day frontiers man! I have done some of that in different more desert type places so I have much respect for the time it takes just to plan the route!

A great trip and great story...you & Cindy exemplify one the aspects of off roading that many in our sport overlook...while overcoming the challenges of difficult obstacles on rock-strewn trails are indeed fun, it seems to be the entire focus for most of us. Sometimes, just taking the road less traveled, add historical perspective & a nice lunch in the outdoors...you end up with a richly rewarding experience...

Last edited:
way cool

that's some awesome travailing look like lots of fun, would be a great trip. :beer::thumb::thumb:

:daydream: *sigh* this is one of the many aspects that make the West so awesome. While there are opportunities here in Pa and elsewhere in the East for some trails, it's still nowhere near the same. The lumber, gas & gov't have all but blocked access to the land over here. Thanks for sharing these expeditions!

:daydream: *sigh* this is one of the many aspects that make the West so awesome. While there are opportunities here in Pa and elsewhere in the East for some trails, it's still nowhere near the same. The lumber, gas & gov't have all but blocked access to the land over here. Thanks for sharing these expeditions!

PA and TX alike...sigh...

Super envious

Looks like an awesome time! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to having the time one day to do a trip like that.

Thanks for sharing the great pics and narrative. Nevada is a great state to 4 wheel. You really motivate me to get out and see this great country of ours!

Great pictures and narrative. It looks like a great place to explore. I love the history.:clap2:

You guys have just the best adventures and I love how you kindly take us all along with your amazing pictures, stories and history lessons...thanks for sharing!

Do you plan your trips in MGRS? If so what App are you using on your phone? I ask because I can't seem to find a good APP for MGRS.

Eddie, thanks for the pics and story details. Very few places like that to trek down here in South Florida, goimg to start looking i to where Amyrak's auto train goes and will hopping the beast on it and taking on some of these adventures with my cameras and enjoying a liytle more of america!

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you Eddie and Cindy for the picture's and the historic information!! Can't wait to load the wife, kids and dogs up and check out some of these amazing places we have here in Nevada!!

Sent from my SM-G935P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom