The Winch Thread

Wizard

When I fitted Dyneema cable to my winch I had a set of nylon rollers made up for my standard fairlead, and these have been working well for the last few years.

They have been used many times since, and have past the test of time.

Jersey_Devil

Ok I found this related to the rope installation on a drum that had wire rope previously. It was in the instructions for my synthetic rope install.

Note: When installing synthetic winch rope on a winch that has previously run wire rope, it is required that both the
winch drum and fairlead are closely inspected for any damage, nicks, or burrs that may damage the synthetic rope.
Using sandpaper, a scuffing pad, or equivalent, make sure drum and fairlead surfaces are free of any damage. It is
your responsibility to make sure the winch drum, fairlead and other items particular to your installation are free of
damage. We recommend a new aluminum hawse fairlead be used with your new synthetic rope.

And Overlander is correct as far as the fairlead. You need a hawse instead of the roller fairlead.

:thumb:

Awesome! Thanks!

StrizzyChris

When I fitted Dyneema cable to my winch I had a set of nylon rollers made up for my standard fairlead, and these have been working well for the last few years.

They have been used many times since, and have past the test of time.

Yup! I know a few companies make swap out rollers for fairleads like daystar. Cheap and easy, but u can get hawse fairleads pretty cheap too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Wizard

Yup! I know a few companies make swap out rollers for fairleads like daystar. Cheap and easy, but u can get hawse fairleads pretty cheap too.

I can't complain about the price of the rollers, they didn't cost me anything. Mates rates!

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't be surprised if some synth. line manufacturer/retailer provide a hawse with the purchase of new synth. line.

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Dave_g

The air compressor on a Warn Powerplant have any issues filling tires or running air tools? also can you still plumb in a compressor tank?

I have not purchased one yet but I've always wanted one.

Jersey_Devil

The air compressor on a Warn Powerplant have any issues filling tires or running air tools? also can you still plumb in a compressor tank?

I have not purchased one yet but I've always wanted one.

From what I hear it's great! But I don't own one.... Wayalife has one he posted above, but I don't know anybody else with a power plant

Prime8

PowerPlant HD, 12k. Haven't gotten it installed yet, but from what I have heard, it fills tires faster than the $250 ARB setup...
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1360248580.085656.jpg

Holeshot

Banned
1. What kind of winch do u own? Titan TW12 http://www.titanwinches.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=31

2. Pros ; Great finish, supposed to be water proof (not tested yet), fully water proof solenoid, Excellent customer service ;business owner reply to mails in few hours, he even added me to a group buy from a tacoma club to get a better price! Even if it's already cheap ((650$ CAD) canadian business). Nice big hook. Comes with both wired and wireless remote controler and a cover. Weights only 62 lbs with syntec rope.

Cons ; Hook latch freeze in winter, hook is too big to get through the fairlead without removing the entire rope. Can't remove the hook without cutting the loop.

3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic? 94' of syntec

4. Ever had to use it? only once, today, to pull out a stuck minivan in the snow bank. Seems to work very quietly and smoothtly.

2012-12-18 19.17.35.jpg 2012-12-18 19.18.35.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of years ago, I also had a Warn M8000, paid something like 750$ +tx CAD. Steel rope.

Pros ; Very durable, I abused the Sh*t out of it several times, got it sunk under water and had to use it underwater and still worked fine until I got rid of it. A friend of mine bought it and it is still on his KK.

Cons ; Steel rope, heavy.

It's a great winch but a bit pricey IMO. You sure pay for quality, but also for the name! That's why I gave a try on Titan, read tons of great comments on these.

18-05-08_1626.jpg

Last edited:

Jersey_Devil

Got mine essentially brand new for $1k on Craigslist. Keep your eyes peeled. I searched nation wide for mine. Luckily found one 3 hours away.

I'm not gonna buy a new winch, I have a Warn XD9000i that I got a heck of a deal on.... I'm just gonna add ARB on board air system

JK&Beyond

1. What kind of winch do u own?
2. Pros/Cons?
3. What kinda line do u use? Steel or Synthetic?
4. Ever had to use it?

1. Warn M8000
2. Very reliable, no problems ever, and price was extremely fair ($650 new). Line speed a little slow for what I use it for, but not bad enough that I wouldn't buy another one just like it.
3. Steel
4. Bunches of times. Everything from suzuki samurais to chevy Z71's.

great winch, super happy about getting it. got it on amazon.com.

Would like to try a superwinch on my new JK. heard their good and pretty good for the money. Although I would like to know how the VR10000 did on Vengeance. WOL...any word on that? or anyone with experience with any of the VR's?

Dixon4x4

2. Pros/Cons?
4. Ever had to use it?

1. Warn M8000
2. Very reliable, no problems ever, and price was extremely fair ($650 new). Line speed a little slow for what I use it for, but not bad enough that I wouldn't buy another one just like it.
3. Steel
4. Bunches of times. Everything from suzuki samurais to chevy Z71's.

great winch, super happy about getting it. got it on amazon.com.

Would like to try a superwinch on my new JK. heard their good and pretty good for the money. Although I would like to know how the VR10000 did on Vengeance. WOL...any word on that? or anyone with experience with any of the VR's?

I have the VR10000 with synthetic line on my 09 JKU and have had no problems with it, been running it for 2 years now and have used it numerous times. I would like if the line speed was a little faster but definitely not the slowest out there. In my opinion it is a great winch for the price and available parts to repair it if needed.

JK&Beyond

I have the VR10000 with synthetic line on my 09 JKU and have had no problems with it, been running it for 2 years now and have used it numerous times. I would like if the line speed was a little faster but definitely not the slowest out there. In my opinion it is a great winch for the price and available parts to repair it if needed.

Fantastic. Thanks. It's come down to the VR10000 and the superwinch talon 9.5 for me. But that's after a new bumper and lift. lol. $$$:shock:$$$

JK&Beyond

Who has experience with the Rugged Ridge winches? Good or bad?

Got a buddy with a rugged ridge 8500 on his land cruiser. He has to use it a lot and has winched off me several times. I wouldn't get one because it's like watching a snail get winched. really slow line speed. But it's a beast work horse (think peirce winch :brows:). There are better options out there. Although it is half the price of my M8000 so if it's a budget deal theres not much of a choice.

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Is there a major issue with mounting a winch upside down? Im looking at a sealed winch to keep submersion less of a worry. I dont forde much being in AZ, but there are places it may be necessary. I want to hide it inside the stock bumper. I would mount it properly, but it will stick out the top too much and if I can get away with it, I dont want to cut the cross member. Will I have issues with the winch pulling differently? I plan on mounting the selenoid under the hood.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

RubiconRon

What did you not like about the Compressor on the power plant?

2. Pros/Cons?
4. Ever had to use it?

1. Warn 9.5ti
2.Pro- It is a Warn.
Con- Came with steel line.
3.Synthetic
-SAFETY- If it snaps it falls to the ground. Steel lines have the possibility of flying through the air. Injury or death may occur. God forbid damage to your Jeep. A fray in a steel line could leave you with a good sting on the hand even if you are wearing work gloves like you should.
-WEIGHT- I don't care for Heavy Metal.
-FLEXIBILITY- Synthetic is easy to handle and move around for when you are adding some pulleys into the equation.
4...EVER HAD TO USE IT? If you have a winch, go get stuck and learn how to use it. :rock:

....Was not impressed with the air compressor on the Power Plant. I would go with an ARB high output any day.

What did you not like about the Compressor on the power plant?

Top Bottom