The Winch Thread

Jersey_Devil

Is there a major issue with mounting a winch upside down? Im looking at a sealed winch to keep submersion less of a worry. I dont forde much being in AZ, but there are places it may be necessary. I want to hide it inside the stock bumper. I would mount it properly, but it will stick out the top too much and if I can get away with it, I dont want to cut the cross member. Will I have issues with the winch pulling differently? I plan on mounting the selenoid under the hood.

Paratroopers stay up longer!

Honestly I'm not sure..... I'd call or email the manufacturer and ask them to be safe

Miramontes

Im getting the Warn Zeon. But can't decide on the 10s or 8s. The 10s is just 100.00 more. What are your thoughts. Is 100.00 worth 2k more?

Chris

jkjurny

Im getting the Warn Zeon. But can't decide on the 10s or 8s. The 10s is just 100.00 more. What are your thoughts. Is 100.00 worth 2k more?

Chris

I'd say yes, but imagine a scenario you'd be in where you might need it. Will you worry about the $100 then? If money is an issue there are cheaper options than the Zeon.

jkjurny

That's what I'm thinking. Which one do you have?

I have the 10s. Haven't experienced using another winch nor seen others use theirs live. I've only done the rope stretch with mine. Worked fast enough for me, and looked comparable to what I've seen in videos.

CerOf

Watch the new part 3 heartland jk experience and then choose your winch, carefully.

We ALL say, "That'll never be me!"

Famous last words.....

You'll know what I'm talking about after you watch. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363821423.484485.jpg stuff happens. :)

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Tackerdown

Banned
Watch the new part 3 heartland jk experience and then choose your winch, carefully.

We ALL say, "That'll never be me!"

Famous last words.....

You'll know what I'm talking about after you watch. View attachment 20608 stuff happens. :)

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

It looks like you could drive across it.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jksmith93

I just won a Rugged Ridge 8.5K winch completely free in a local Jeep club raffle. $300 new
Pros:
Fills empty space on the bumper
Easy to install
Cons:
it's Rugged Ridge
Steel not synthetic

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
how easy is it to swap a steel line for a synthetic? want to save some weight and it seems like everyone uses synthetic and loves it

CerOf

It looks like you could drive across it.

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

"looks like" is correct, but you'd be wrong! :clap2:

This was during a drought and the lake was WAY down. The water table; however, was about 1' below the surface. Got to that point and it immediately sank. Sad part....I hooked the winch up to the wife's Kia minivan....:blush:

RubiconRon

This was during a drought and the lake was WAY down. The water table; however, was about 1' below the surface. Got to that point and it immediately sank. Sad part....I hooked the winch up to the wife's Kia minivan....:blush:

I hope you got pictures!? Priceless!

Always looking for a trail!

Tackerdown

Banned

LOL. I was a Minivaner for a long time they are quite the beast no shame there.:naw:

gyoe

Brand: Smittybilt XRC-8
Pros: cheap Cons: haven't found any yet
Line: Synthetic
Used: yes 3x's; a tree, myself, on a cherokee

jkjurny

I like that look! That's Sexy. Did you add an additional battery?

Always looking for a trail!

I'm still running the stock battery. Plan to upgrade to the Diehard platinum. All the trails I've run so far didnt need a winch. I did stretch my line and didn't see a big drop in battery voltage.

Top Bottom