The Winch Thread

GraniteCrystal

Read through this entire thread with no answer. So, it's time for a THREAD REVIVAL! (Que WJCO, the meme king.)

In the next two weeks I will be investing in a winch. This will be the last large piece of my build and my budget is allowing $400 to spend on it. If I could save up more, I would. This is a use it or lose it sort of deal.

For my last Jeep I went with the Smittybilt XRC 9.5. I had no issues with it and it seemed like a fine winch, but I'm not buying it again.

I want a WARN, but the only one I will be able to afford is the Gen 1 VR8000. I know that this is a Warn from china. My question is, for those of you that went with this route, would you reccomend this winch? Is there anything that makes it stand out from the other chinese winches other than the fact that it's got Warn's name on it?
I don't have the VR series so can't comment specific to that. I have, however, found the Warn customer service to be impeccable (free replacement parts no questions asked, answered some newbie winching questions I had, etc) and that should be the same regardless of VR, Zeon, etc. Based on that alone, if choosing between Warn and another company, I'd go with Warn. Interested to see what others say specific to VR though.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?p=621404

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Read through this entire thread with no answer. So, it's time for a THREAD REVIVAL! (Que WJCO, the meme king.)

In the next two weeks I will be investing in a winch. This will be the last large piece of my build and my budget is allowing $400 to spend on it. If I could save up more, I would. This is a use it or lose it sort of deal.

For my last Jeep I went with the Smittybilt XRC 9.5. I had no issues with it and it seemed like a fine winch, but I'm not buying it again.

I want a WARN, but the only one I will be able to afford is the Gen 1 VR8000. I know that this is a Warn from china. My question is, for those of you that went with this route, would you reccomend this winch? Is there anything that makes it stand out from the other chinese winches other than the fact that it's got Warn's name on it?

I'm curious about the VR also.

Jeep with stuff on it. [emoji631]

TeamFaust

You might want to check out the Quadratec winches for a solid option at a lower price point...compare specs.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Like I said in your build thread, I just can't believe Warn would risk damaging their reputation, with the VR, if it were not a good winch.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug
Winch? Bulldog 9500
Line - Steel
Used it? Yes, several times now with no issues. 1st time buried up to the axles in river silt & mud, pulled out at 90 degrees with ease.
Pros - Has worked flawlessly, not overly large
Cons - thus far none, but if it does fail a Warn Zeon will replace it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

garndawg

I'll play:

1. What kind of winch do u own? Rebuilt M8000 with a motor off a M10k
2. Pros/Cons? I know how it works, inside and out
3. What kinda line do u use? Synthetic,
4. Ever had to use it? Not yet (unless spooling on the line counts)

Bought this off craigslist for $150. Dude has already bought a new motor (old one was completely trashed, bearing failure and lots of metal shaving in the casing), but it was indicating a dead short when he hooked it up.

I rebuilt the thing from scratch, new gaskets, solenoid cover, repacked all the bearings, repainted/refinished and then deleted the solenoid pack for a contactor. Added a synthetic line and have a M10000S equivalent winch for about $400 invested.

IMG953436.jpg IMG953435.jpg 20160530_155248.jpg

CCTX50

Found the Warn Zeon 10-S on sale today for 899.99 normally 1249.99. Then there is a 200.00 rebate and free shipping. Seems like a great deal just having a hard time pulling the trigger. 699.99 after rebate not bad. Sale ends tonight so still time to think about it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jackal01

Found the Warn Zeon 10-S on sale today for 899.99 normally 1249.99. Then there is a 200.00 rebate and free shipping. Seems like a great deal just having a hard time pulling the trigger. 699.99 after rebate not bad. Sale ends tonight so still time to think about it.

I wouldn't be hesitating one second if I were you.

WJCO

Meme King

If you were on the Dr Phil show, he'd tell you to do it.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

USMC Wrangler

I wouldn't be hesitating one second if I were you.

If you were on the Dr Phil show, he'd tell you to do it.

Got mine for that price on their first sale a couple weeks ago. Yes, I'm excited so I'm spamming pics all over the forum. Installed today...

IMG_2359.jpg

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

CCTX50

Well, looks like 4WheelParts will be shipping one down to South Texas also. Great deal was hard to pass up.

USMC Wrangler

Yeah, even though I shouldn't have. I pulled the trigger on the 10-s deal. It's the winch I originally wanted. Now I will have to sell my smittybilt.

Well, looks like 4WheelParts will be shipping one down to South Texas also. Great deal was hard to pass up.

Congrats to you both! Good luck with the sale NecessaryEvil.

Overall "build thread"
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?26097-I-guess-it-s-the-quot-Super-Stocker-quot-build

Judesign

Caught the Bug

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Congrats to you both! Good luck with the sale NecessaryEvil.

Overall "build thread"

Thanks, it will be here on the 28th. Can't wait. I should be able to sell the smitty winch locally, without problem.

Top Bottom