Tire help decision!

Ddays

Hooked
Really Pete? You're actually asking whether or not you should get bigger or smaller tires on a Jeep forum? :grayno:
Get the bigger tires dammit. Passing's gay anyways.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Dammit! Just when I thought everybody forgot about this thread you guys slam me this morning! Lol! Okay I admit I'm a pussy I kind of over-analyze s***. I mean I do have a Superchips that should help me. The wifey said get them dammit it you've been wanting them all along. The wife says I drive like a grandma anyway. I know most you guys have probably put the 35 or larger on and geared later guess I could do that too. How bad would it truly be though just slamming those things on and not gearing? Livable? I really appreciate everybody's input as well.

Sent from my XT1080 using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Dammit! Just when I thought everybody forgot about this thread you guys slam me this morning! Lol! Okay I admit I'm a pussy I kind of over-analyze s***. I mean I do have a Superchips that should help me. The wifey said get them dammit it you've been wanting them all along. The wife says I drive like a grandma anyway. I know most you guys have probably put the 35 or larger on and geared later guess I could do that too. How bad would it truly be though just slamming those things on and not gearing? Livable? I really appreciate everybody's input as well.

I would have gotten the 315s as well if I weren't driving a grocery-getter with no wheel well clearance. Anymore trimming on mine and I'm cutting into car seats.

enfielded0405

As I mentioned in an earlier post. I have metric 33"s and at 70 mph I am turning like 1700 rpms. Any grade I kick down out of OD and if locked in 3rd 2500 rpms and unlocked in 3rd 3000 rpms. My jeep is my DD and I have a 32 mile commute. It is liveable but coming from a string of V8s less than optimal. When I hit the mountains I turn of OD and keep it to 70 and with the converter locked its fine, 2500 rpms.

If you know you will regear I would get the 35's and just turn OD off and you will be fine. I wasn't ready to regear and went 33's and I am glad I did. But would admit I have 35 envy from time to time.

Good luck with your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clutch

Caught the Bug

Definitely livable! Seriously.

Boji

I'm running 4.10 gears and 35" tires with the seat gripping 3.8. Honestly, it's really not that bad around town. On the highway it's livable but sluggish, if I need to accelerate on any kind of incline over 70mph I have to put it in overdrive to get any power.

As for the tires, go with the bigger ones now. More expensive, yes. But cheaper than buying new tires once you regret the small ones ;)

madstiles

I have 35s with 373 and 3.8 it won't win a drag race but still goes good. As for tires check out Cooper st maxx I love them they are siped mud and snow rated have the holes for studs if you need way quieter than a mt and still get shit done I have yet to get stuck in the southeast mud also great for the Florida monsoons we get .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
Okay I admit I'm a pussy I kind of over-analyze s***.

You feeling ok? You type 'pussy' but self-censor "shit" :thinking:

:cheesy: Seriously, I think you'll be happier with the larger tires. Maybe on long climbs it'll be a littler tough, but there's always the downhill on the other side to make up for it!

I too over analyze things.....on my 08, auto, 373 I went with 33s. Happy, sure. Then you start to see other Jeeps rolling 35s, and you start to think on this.....then you get ticked off with yourself. That goes away after a little while, then a jeep with 35s pulls up to you at the light and the cycle starts all over again.

My 08 was fine for me, I'm not a speed demon, I have no experience with 35s on that jeep, but I would assume it would be a tad sluggish....I think this is subjective and to each their own.

When I built my 16.....not even a hesitation, 315 70 17 mickey MTZ P3, auto and 410s....very happy and pleased.

Best of luck on your decision....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
You feeling ok? You type 'pussy' but self-censor "shit" :thinking:

:cheesy: Seriously, I think you'll be happier with the larger tires. Maybe on long climbs it'll be a littler tough, but there's always the downhill on the other side to make up for it!
Lol! I was using that voice shit app! On my way. Found 5 for $1301!!! I'm gonna do it

Clutch

Caught the Bug
I have 35s with 373 and 3.8 it won't win a drag race but still goes good. As for tires check out Cooper st maxx I love them they are siped mud and snow rated have the holes for studs if you need way quieter than a mt and still get shit done I have yet to get stuck in the southeast mud also great for the Florida monsoons we get .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
Do not give the man anymore options to think about. I swear it's like coaxing a squirrel to a nut!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Uh-oh! Did you get 37's instead?

LOL! She would have killed me. Went with the Master's 315/70/17. Now some more questions..... I have the EVO Fascia installed with stock carrier. I might shave off brake light because I have the ORO light installed. Would I need a spacer or should I remove the Fascia. Did not think abut that until after I purchased tires and got sick.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: I did not purchase the Rancho kit yet. I am basically running now a 2.5" lift with my set up. Should I trim my pinch seams for giggles now?

Pursesnatcher

Ok guys I am ready to step it up.

Rig specs:

2011 JK 2 Dr Sport
Auto
3.73 gears
Rubi wheels

Lift specs:

New Rancho 2"...ordering Monday

Tires I am looking at.

Mastercraft Courser MXT 295/70/17 @ 59 lbs E load @ $206 each
Mastercraft Courser MXT 315/70/17 @ 63 lbs D load @ $236 each
Nitto Trail Grapplers 295/70/17 @ 69.84 lbs:eek: E load @ 271 each. Not including discount from DT starting Monday.

Now I know larger and heavier tires mean components wear out quicker. I am contemplating getting the 315's instead of the 295's in the Master's instead of the Nitto's. Cooper makes the Master's and have read good reviews. I like that they are sipped as well. They are very affordable for 295's 5 are a little over $1000 and 315's under $1200. live in CO and do hit the mountains often. I feel I still might suffer with the 315's as I do not plan to re-gear anytime soon.

Real world thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Have you seen this?

K3UFwrFl.png

It's a smokin' deal - go to 4WheelParts and they'll do everything in store.

I wouldn't go for the Mastercraft, out of the three you chose I'd go for the Nitto personally. But if that BFG deal is still good, you should hit that up. Really can't beat that!

Top Bottom