Tires

espi

Most 285's will have an actual measurement that's closer to an advertised 35" tire but, if you can find a 305, it'll be a better match.

Yes, most 315's will have an actual measurement that is TALLER than a tire that has 35" listed on the sidewall.

Are you talking 285/75r17?

I can see a 315/70r17 measuring the same or more than a 35x12.5 but a 285/70r17 is no where near a 35x12.5.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Always been curious of the treadwrights....I think I wheeled with a guy a while ago that ran them and has had a few sets and loves them for the price, but they were on a beater rig which made sense.

Army_Vet

Banned
Always been curious of the treadwrights....I think I wheeled with a guy a while ago that ran them and has had a few sets and loves them for the price, but they were on a beater rig which made sense.

Keep in mind they are not street legal

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheStick

The difference between a 315/70/17 and a 35 12.50 will mostly depend on air pressure, vehicle weight etc. in mounted they are very close within the same brand.

A 285/75/17 is only slightly less tall than a 35, but considerably narrower.

A 285/70/17 is comparable to a 33.

All will run less than advertised mounted under the weight of the vehicle.

Just remember that in the metric sizes the first 3 numbers are the width in mm. The second 2 are the sidewall height in relation to the width. You cannot determine the height of the tire without both, plus the wheel size. So don't assume all "285's" are the same. It's only one piece of the puzzle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking 285/75r17?

I can see a 315/70r17 measuring the same or more than a 35x12.5 but a 285/70r17 is no where near a 35x12.5.

You're right, a 285 measures no where near 35" but a tire with 35" written on the sidewall measures no where near 35". Of course, you don't have to take my word for it, do what I've done and physically measure them yourself.

espi

The difference between a 315/70/17 and a 35 12.50 will mostly depend on air pressure, vehicle weight etc. in mounted they are very close within the same brand.

A 285/75/17 is only slightly less tall than a 35, but considerably narrower.

A 285/70/17 is comparable to a 33.

All will run less than advertised mounted under the weight of the vehicle.

Just remember that in the metric sizes the first 3 numbers are the width in mm. The second 2 are the sidewall height in relation to the width. You cannot determine the height of the tire without both, plus the wheel size. So don't assume all "285's" are the same. It's only one piece of the puzzle.

Agreed, there is always such confusion with metric tires.

You're right, a 285 measures no where near 35" but a tire with 35" written on the sidewall measures no where near 35". Of course, you don't have to take my word for it, do what I've done and physically measure them yourself.

Again I am trying to confirm what tire size your talking about?

A 285/75r17 11.3 x 33.9"
Or
A 285/70r17 11.3 x 32.8"

It has nothing to do with not believing you, but you need to specify which size as one is an inch smaller than the other.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Again I am trying to confirm what tire size your talking about?

A 285/75r17 11.3 x 33.9"
Or
A 285/70r17 11.3 x 32.8"

It has nothing to do with not believing you, but you need to specify which size as one is an inch smaller than the other.

And it is you who needs to physically measure a 35" tire and then you tell me. :rolleyes2:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm confused.... A 315/70-17 calculates out to 34.36"

And?? Please physically measure a tire with 35" printed on the side wall and tell me what it's actual measurement is? Granted, no two tires will measure the same and some will be shorter or taller than the next BUT, on average, what will it's height be?

Eddie, are you talking about a 75 aspect ratio? This would make since as it would calculate to 35.6" diameter.

No, I'm just talking about what an actual 35" tire will measure up to. Even the calculations you can get on the internet won't give you an exact diameter of a metric tire. What I'm talking about is what I have physically measured with my own hands and have found.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To be clear, just went outside and physically measured my 40" Trail Grapplers on Moby and they only came up to about 38". I just measured my 37" tires on Rubicat and they only came up to about 35". From experience, I can tell you that I've measured my old 35" tires that I had on Nemo and they only came up to about 33" and the 33's that I used to have on my old TJ only came up to about 31". You see where I'm going with all this?

Now, I have also gone out and physically measured the 285/70R17's on Plan-C and they came up to just shy of 32.5". So you tell me, what is that closer to? An advertised 33" tire or a 35"? I have personally run 305/70R17's on Moby and when I took a physical measurement of them, they came up to a bit over 33". While I have not personally run 315/70R17's, I do get to work on a lot of Jeep and the measurement I got off them were a bit over 34". I can't make this stuff up nor would I want to. I'm just trying to put the facts out there but of course, ya'll can believe in whatever chart or online calculator you find tells you. It's no sweat off my back :cool:

espi

To be clear, just went outside and physically measured my 40" Trail Grapplers on Moby and they only came up to about 38". I just measured my 37" tires on Rubicat and they only came up to about 35". From experience, I can tell you that I've measured my old 35" tires that I had on Nemo and they only came up to about 33" and the 33's that I used to have on my old TJ only came up to about 31". You see where I'm going with all this?

Now, I have also gone out and physically measured the 285/70R17's on Plan-C and they came up to just shy of 32.5". So you tell me, what is that closer to? An advertised 33" tire or a 35"? I have personally run 305/70R17's on Moby and when I took a physical measurement of them, they came up to a bit over 33". While I have not personally run 315/70R17's, I do get to work on a lot of Jeep and the measurement I got off them were a bit over 34". I can't make this stuff up nor would I want to. I'm just trying to put the facts out there but of course, ya'll can believe whatever chart or online calculator tells you. It's no sweat off my back :cool:

I get the standard size tires do not measure close to what the sidewall does. I think there was confusion in what I was asking and what you were getting at. I was not contesting the size of a 35, but rather that a 285/70r17 measured close to a 35. I think what you meant was a 285/70r17 or a 285/75r17 measures closer to the speced height and not that a 285/70r17 is closer to a 35.

If I am wrong please let me know.

PS My 285/70r17 measure 32" at 32PSI on a 8.5"wide rim.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
While I have not personally run 315/70R17's, I do get to work on a lot of Jeep and the measurement I got off them were a bit over 34".

i agree with this. my 315/75r16 mud grapplers measured in at 34.25" last time i measured them

I can't make this stuff up nor would I want to. I'm just trying to put the facts out there but of course, ya'll can believe in whatever chart or online calculator you find tells you. It's no sweat off my back :cool:

FWIW: my question that I later edited away was only for my clarification, not to second guess based on interweb calculators. I didn't know this about the metric tire sizes... (I learned something today!)

Top Bottom