To anyone still trying to decide on getting a Rubicon ...

Learo2000GT

Diablosport trinity will allow for swabar disconnect at anytime and can lock the lockers in 4 hi. I have a rubicon but still disconnect manually when I am doing a lot of flexing because there is a good chance with a lift with lots of flex u can pretzel your links.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Don't have a Rubicon but I did install a Rubi takeoff with the No-Limits actuator and I feel like I'm spoiled with that thing. Can't imagine a pushbutton!

Have you thought about the air actuated No-Limits? Then you can wire the solenoid up to a switch in cabin!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I don't like the way the lockers are set up i don't like not being able to turn them on in 4 hi or in 2 wheel if i just need a boost to get going in the icy streets

You really don't wanna be locked on ice unless you enjoy doing donuts.

I purchased my 2016 JKU Rubi Hard Rock a little over a year ago... And while I love it and it was extremely trail worthy for a wrangler "out of the box" so to speak I am actually regretting the purchase.

My reason for saying this is I am going fairly "all out" on building it and realize that for the 10-12k I would have saved by just going to a Sport would have been better. My reasoning is that I just spent a little over 10k doing upgrades and while some of those wouldn't matter some of it just replaced Rubi stuff and also the small extras from the Hard Rock... To look at it one way think of all the stuff you could get if you took the 10-12k difference plus say the 10k would give you over 20k in upgrades.... That is enough for front/rear axle PR60 special (12K) and lift with front and rear bumpers, rims, tires.... You may even have enough left over for to grab the atlas transfer case... :)

Just a thought....

PATRIOTKJM

This what I was thinking so I bought a used jku that was immaculate for 15k. Now with XD60 front, 80 rear, bumpers, and a bunch of other parts I'm just at the price of a new rubicon. I was on the fence about going this way and so glad I did!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

ChiliDawg

This what I was thinking so I bought a used jku that was immaculate for 15k. Now with XD60 front, 80 rear, bumpers, and a bunch of other parts I'm just at the price of a new rubicon. I was on the fence about going this way and so glad I did!!

15k? Shit. I paid 23 for my '14 JK. I couldn't find a used JKU with a 3.6L for under 29k.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I purchased my 2016 JKU Rubi Hard Rock a little over a year ago... And while I love it and it was extremely trail worthy for a wrangler "out of the box" so to speak I am actually regretting the purchase.

My reason for saying this is I am going fairly "all out" on building it and realize that for the 10-12k I would have saved by just going to a Sport would have been better. My reasoning is that I just spent a little over 10k doing upgrades and while some of those wouldn't matter some of it just replaced Rubi stuff and also the small extras from the Hard Rock... To look at it one way think of all the stuff you could get if you took the 10-12k difference plus say the 10k would give you over 20k in upgrades.... That is enough for front/rear axle PR60 special (12K) and lift with front and rear bumpers, rims, tires.... You may even have enough left over for to grab the atlas transfer case... :)

Just a thought....

To be fair, you got a "Hard Rock" edition. Had you just gotten a Rubicon, I would still argue that it would be the way to go. In spite of all the upgrades I've done on my 2012, I still run the factory 4:1 transfer case, love the sway bar disco, still run the factory front locker, love my interior better than the old JKU X I used to have and like the fact that I was able to get it with NAV.

Again, I've done it both ways and when it came time to do it again, starting off with a Rubicon was the way to go or at least, for me anyway.

benatc1

Hooked

15k? Shit. I paid 23 for my '14 JK. I couldn't find a used JKU with a 3.6L for under 29k.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I've looked and haven't seen a JK for that low ever. Hell of a deal for sure but far from the norm.

That is a hell of a deal and probably a good place to start a total rebuild from the ground up. I will agree, ive never seen one less that like 20k, so good find!

black pearl

Hooked
After my looking around at jeeps I ended up with a 16 rubicon I couldn't justify the hard rock price as I knew that stuff would be changed right away but I also knew I could finance the jeep so I got the good one more capable out the door then needing to do a bunch of upgrades ... but I also know I'm probably not going bigger then 35s I have trussed the axels and lifted and don't need to worry about lockers till I blow the factory ones out all in all I would buy a rubicon agin if I had to do it over

[emoji853] I always feel like such a clown when I have to get out of my jeep, get my tools out, and literally have to wrench on my jeep to get my swaybars disconnected. Haha. I don't even have quick disconnects, so I'm sitting there in the mud, hugging my ugly ass stock bumper, and getting my arm workout in for the day.... FML 🤡

ChiliDawg

[emoji853] I always feel like such a clown when I have to get out of my jeep, get my tools out, and literally have to wrench on my jeep to get my swaybars disconnected. Haha. I don't even have quick disconnects, so I'm sitting there in the mud, hugging my ugly ass stock bumper, and getting my arm workout in for the day.... FML 🤡

But how would you ever appreciate quick discos if you never had to do it the old school way?

And trust me, the quick discos are not really "quick". i have the teraflex ones and i still have to use a rubber mallet, wd40, and an extra long screwdriver. :yup:

J

JKDream

And trust me, the quick discos are not really "quick". i have the teraflex ones and i still have to use a rubber mallet, wd40, and an extra long screwdriver. :yup:

For real lol. Any type of uneven ground and you're beating the shit out of them.

Good points [emoji16] I've never minded it all that much, but having a stubby bumper would probably help a bit. I'm also thinking about cutting off the excess length of bolt that sticks out like an inch past the nut on the sway bar to save myself some effort. Yeah, Mike, I've heard that quick disconnects aren't all they are cracked up to be... so I guess I'll wait.

J

JKDream

Good points [emoji16] I've never minded it all that much, but having a stubby bumper would probably help a bit. I'm also thinking about cutting off the excess length of bolt that sticks out like an inch past the nut on the sway bar to save myself some effort. Yeah, Mike, I've heard that quick disconnects aren't all they are cracked up to be... so I guess I'll wait.

Honestly just save up for a rubi takeoff swaybar and add the no-limits.
Removes any of the issues you're currently having, and also removes the electronic issues they are so prone to.

ChiliDawg

I still haven't put my Rubicon Express quick discos back on since removing them to go wheeling back on New Years Day. Struggled with getting them on for about ten minutes because of the cold and mud, finally said "Eff it, I'll do it later." Still waiting for later [emoji1]

Top Bottom