Towing a trailer....

doojer

^Sweet, I looked at the R-Pod but I wanted to start with something even smaller. But if you're having no issues pulling an r-pod with an '07, I can't imagine that I would have issues towing something even lighter with a '15.... so that's great to know.

Also, did you install a brake controller? Did you use the Mopar 7 pin?

metalic

I installed tranny cooler, brake controller, and if I remember correct I had the 4 flat I converted. We pulled a popup before that weighed around the same. We have pulled our 19' ski boat that is pushing the 3500 limit and it handles it fine except big hills. I had 4:10 and 265's. I just went 315's and will have 5:13's hopefully by the weekend. We just bought our pod late last year and love it.

MarkW13

I towed a trailer through the dusy ershim last year. It wasnt horrible. If you keep your trailer light you should be fine. I really like my roof top tent and it travels way easier than any trailer.

doojer

I installed tranny cooler, brake controller, and if I remember correct I had the 4 flat I converted. We pulled a popup before that weighed around the same. We have pulled our 19' ski boat that is pushing the 3500 limit and it handles it fine except big hills. I had 4:10 and 265's. I just went 315's and will have 5:13's hopefully by the weekend. We just bought our pod late last year and love it.
Yeah, the new JKs have tranny coolers and I went for the brake controller and am having the 4 flat converted on Thursday. Glad you like your Rpod they look like lots of fun!

I really like my roof top tent and it travels way easier than any trailer.

Now this ain't tech..... :D BUT.... yeah I strongly considered this route. Then I really thought about what I was trying to do... which is replace hotels. I'm not really trying to change my Jeep campsite experience. If I'm in the backcountry, I like a nice ground tent and I love my Thermarest.... my Jeep basically has a kitchen and.... well.... i kinda have a special relationship with my shovel that I'm not entirely ready to end. :D So, with the sage advice of a few friends, I decided I don't want to add weight to my roof or tow something along the trail. I just want to come home to something nice after a couple days on the trail without having to drive all the way back to my actual home and without staying in anything that ends with "otel". :thumb:

EDIT: ^But, your off-road trailer is definitely a beauty! Nice pics!

Last edited:

MarkW13

EDIT: ^But, your off-road trailer is definitely a beauty! Nice pics!

Thanks, I won't lie, driving with a trailer is different. I ran the Rubicon with the tent on top. It was a more pleasurable experience. The dusy ershim is so long that I just can't safely store all my stuff on a short jeep. I hope to retire the trailer once the jkur is built up.

doojer

So, all went just as smoothly as everyone said. My JK towed my little Casita home from Texas to California with no issues whatsoever. Holds 65 easy on steep ascents at over 5000' but didn't get any higher in elevation than that. Changing lanes was easy. No sway at all. Braking is a breeze with the P3 controller. Really don't know it's back there at all! I was actually shocked. And I was even getting over 16mpg most of the trip. We'll see what happens when I change up the suspension and add tire / bumper weight..... but so far, so good! Thanks for all the input!

casita2.jpg

casita1.jpg

jeeeep

Hooked
So, all went just as smoothly as everyone said. My JK towed my little Casita home from Texas to California with no issues whatsoever. Holds 65 easy on steep ascents at over 5000' but didn't get any higher in elevation than that. Changing lanes was easy. No sway at all. Braking is a breeze with the P3 controller. Really don't know it's back there at all! I was actually shocked. And I was even getting over 16mpg most of the trip. We'll see what happens when I change up the suspension and add tire / bumper weight..... but so far, so good! Thanks for all the input!

View attachment 130024

View attachment 130025

nice trailer :thumb:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

View attachment 130024

View attachment 130025

That's a nice little trailer.

jpone

View attachment 130024

View attachment 130025

Looks great. Easy towing that little thing!

JJK

image.jpg

Here's our Casita in the mountains of New Mexico. 14 JKUR with 4.10's 3.5" lift with 35's. Pulls like a boss.

Top Bottom