Towing a trailer....

Rancho

Caught the Bug
A lot of JK guys who tow like to run the adjustable 9000's to firm up the ride a bit.
Just throwing it out there.
:beer:

rubiwash

When my fiance is not around to drive my jeep to hills so I can drive my truck and trailer I pull it with my jeep. She does the job. it weighs 3200lbs-ish. 07jku 35s and 410s auto. I love having a mobile shop up wheeling. Lol (couldn't find a pic with it hooked to my jeep)

Attachments

• 1429903190950.jpg
    1429903190950.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 347
  • 1429903279054.jpg
    1429903279054.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 351

jivesis

Tow my jayco but the 3.8 with 5;13s and 37s struggles hopefully my new 15 with the 3.6 will do better.. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429909713.831988.jpg

USMCvet

Banned
My 2015 is set up with 5:13's and 37's and I tow a 16.6' Alumaweld fishing boat quite often with no issues. In fact, it tows quite readily that there's hardly a noticeable mileage decrease or power difference. That said, the boat and trailer weighs right at 2,000 lbs. with gear.

TeamFaust

As I have few similar questions regarding set up for towing trailer with brakes I was going to start a new thread but figured it might be good to just ask here so all iin the same location.

I have towed a 5x10 utility trailer all over the place fairly well loaded at times but going to pull a Coleman Pop-Up this summer and but don't have a brake controlled installed and only have the factory flat 4 trailer light wiring. Was going to install the brake controller I pulled from my Expedition a couple years ago but haven't looked into compatibility yet. Sounds like a lot of guys are using the P3 and liking it anything special about it or install/integration with the JKU? Also what else is involved in getting the 7-pin connector at the back to connect to trailer for braking etc.?

Thanks for any additional comments.

Last edited:

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I tow this around. Even loaded down its not really a big deal, hardly notice it. Couldn't tell you what it weighs loaded down with all our camping/ fishing stuff, but it's hardly noticeable. I'd say tow it, and if your sagging a bit, take a look at the Project JK archives. I remember seeing some independent airbags that go in your springs and adjust by air. Just stop by the gas station and juice them up till your level. I can't remember at the moment what they were called but Eddie did a review on them and they were very affordable too!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435012459.525340.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435012508.631012.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1435012585.591505.jpg

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
AllAmerican...what hitch set up are you running there? How does it handle?

I'm running the stock M416 Lunette ring. The entire front tongue section was shortened a bit and the stock rotating Lunette was reinstalled. On the Jeep I run a pintle/2" ball combo in the receiver.
Off road it handles great on trails and faster dirt roads. On the road and highway it handles really good, but it is a bit noisy in stop and go traffic because of the play the Lunette allows. Because of the shortened front section and Pintle/Lunette, backing up with precision can be tricky. It isn't impossible by any means, but may take a few tries at times if I'm trying to back it into a tight spot.

LeighP

Nice...I'm just about finished restoring a box trailer my old neighbour gave me.... 6'x4'. Cleaned it up, repainted it, new hubs and converting spacers so I can run the spare JK wheels and tyres (same size as my JK's) and a mounting so the trailer gets to carry another spare for trips.
I prefer to tow my camping gear, rather than carry it all crammed into the 2 door.

I do not undestand why the max load is so little for jeeps in america.

In my manual that come with my 2012 saharah 4 doors( live in sweden so it is a export jeep with the unbeliable ugly front bumper ) the 4 door rubicon has the highest load capability. All 2 doors are only good for 1000 kg exept the rubi with six speed manuel that is alowed to tow 2000 kg. The rubicon automatic with pentastar is allowed to tow 3500 kg and that is about 7700 pounds. with diesel it is only 2500 kg with manuel six speed and ionly 2200 kg with automatic.

Rubi 4 door with six speed manual and pentastar is only allowed to tow 2000 kg instead of 3500 kg. So in this case the automatic can take much more.

the saharh with manuel or automatic and 3,73 is allowed to tow 2000 kg. a saharah and rubicon with pentastar and automatic shhould be the same car in terms of tow capacity but it still differ 1500 kg. that must be because of 3,73 vs 4,10 axle ratio.

anyway the rubi with 4,10 axle ratio and 4 doors with pentastar and automatic can according to the book tow most of them all and that is 3500 kg which is about 7 700 punds. Numbers that seems not to be ok in the states but ok here. I wonder why.

I also wonder why my saharh is only good for 2000 kg ( 4 400 punds ) because the only diggerence is 3,73 vs 4,10. is 4,10 so much stronger?

ClarksAdventures

I do not undestand why the max load is so little for jeeps in america.

In my manual that come with my 2012 saharah 4 doors( live in sweden so it is a export jeep with the unbeliable ugly front bumper ) the 4 door rubicon has the highest load capability. All 2 doors are only good for 1000 kg exept the rubi with six speed manuel that is alowed to tow 2000 kg. The rubicon automatic with pentastar is allowed to tow 3500 kg and that is about 7700 pounds. with diesel it is only 2500 kg with manuel six speed and ionly 2200 kg with automatic.

Rubi 4 door with six speed manual and pentastar is only allowed to tow 2000 kg instead of 3500 kg. So in this case the automatic can take much more.

the saharh with manuel or automatic and 3,73 is allowed to tow 2000 kg. a saharah and rubicon with pentastar and automatic shhould be the same car in terms of tow capacity but it still differ 1500 kg. that must be because of 3,73 vs 4,10 axle ratio.

anyway the rubi with 4,10 axle ratio and 4 doors with pentastar and automatic can according to the book tow most of them all and that is 3500 kg which is about 7 700 punds. Numbers that seems not to be ok in the states but ok here. I wonder why.

I also wonder why my saharh is only good for 2000 kg ( 4 400 punds ) because the only diggerence is 3,73 vs 4,10. is 4,10 so much stronger?

Seriously? That's kinda strange. I've driven everything with a trailer from Honda Civic to a oversized/overweight load on a semi. My personal belief is.

As long as the front wheels are still touching, you're good to go!

TeamFaust

Trailer Brake Controller.... and conversion from flat-4 to 7-pin for controller...

Found this converter from Hopkins (from existing 4-flat to 7-Rpound or 4-flat):
Hopkins adaptor.jpg

Basically pug in the adaptor into your existing 4-flat, the new connector has a 4-flat on the side and a 7-round. The 7-round has direct connection to the 4-flat points (tail lights, brake lights, turn signals) but then also has leads to go to a brake controller for ebrake output and to battery for center aux power supply pin. Anyone used one of these? It looks like a pretty simple set up.

Is there a simpler/more cost effective way to convert my existing 4-flat to a 7-round so that I can add/have controller for trailer ebrakes for the pop-up camper?

Next question is am I good using the old brake controller I pulled from my Expedition (probably 10+ years old) or am I better off dropping the coin on a new unit like the P3?
Comments/Suggestions?

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Trailer Brake Controller.... and conversion from flat-4 to 7-pin for controller...

Found this converter from Hopkins (from existing 4-flat to 7-Rpound or 4-flat):
View attachment 151649

Basically pug in the adaptor into your existing 4-flat, the new connector has a 4-flat on the side and a 7-round. The 7-round has direct connection to the 4-flat points (tail lights, brake lights, turn signals) but then also has leads to go to a brake controller for ebrake output and to battery for center aux power supply pin. Anyone used one of these? It looks like a pretty simple set up.

Is there a simpler/more cost effective way to convert my existing 4-flat to a 7-round so that I can add/have controller for trailer ebrakes for the pop-up camper?

Next question is am I good using the old brake controller I pulled from my Expedition (probably 10+ years old) or am I better off dropping the coin on a new unit like the P3?
Comments/Suggestions?

If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking if you can just use an adapter to convert to 7 pin..and the answer is not exactly. You'll need something like this http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html to convert to a 7 pin and be able to use your old brake controller. It will add the wiring you'll need for the brake controller and tap into your existing 4pin.

TeamFaust

If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking if you can just use an adapter to convert to 7 pin..and the answer is not exactly. You'll need something like this http://www.etrailer.com/p-ETBC7.html to convert to a 7 pin and be able to use your old brake controller. It will add the wiring you'll need for the brake controller and tap into your existing 4pin.

Thanks for reply but not exactly what I was asking, I likely wasn't clear... Wiring Adaptor connects to the existing 4-flat (which I have on Jeep now) so those wire essentially go directly to the proper prongs on the 7-round (for trailer lights), then the back of the 7-round also includes additional wires that are to be run to and connected to ground, the ebrake controller and the battery for connection to those prongs on the 7-round (ebrakes, aux power). Just wondering if any one has used one of these adaptors and if so what their experience was.

Then second question is regarding using an old Brake Controller versus dropping cash on a new on like the P3 that I see number of members have used?

Just trying to figure out a good way to get from the 4-flat trailer set-up currently on the JKU to a safe way to haul a pop-up camper for family trip to Utah later this month :thumb:

Last edited:

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Thanks for reply but not exactly what I was asking, I likely wasn't clear... Wiring Adaptor connects to the existing 4-flat (which I have on Jeep now) so those wire essentially go directly to the proper prongs on the 7-round (lights), then the back of the 7-round also was additional wires that are to be connected to ground, the ebrake controller and the battery for connection to those prongs on the 7-round (ebrakes, aux power). Just wondering if any one has used one of these adaptors and if so what their experience was.

Then second question is regarding using an old Brake Controller versus dropping cash on a new on like the P3 that I see number of members have used?

The only real benefit to the p3 is that its a bit more adaptive than older ones. THe older one you can just adjust the sensitivity but its more abrasive in terms of stopping.

And I've done it before on previous vehicles..no big deal. Works just like stock would. I wouldn't be apprehensive about using the adapter to convert to 7 pin. Take it to a trailer shop if you are and make sure its wired right. They also have a nice tester that just plugs in and can make sure all the wires are set right.

Webe

This is my set up and I even offroad with it. Have done nothing with the motor, tranny or T-case. Running 4.88 F&R on 37". Trailer has same set up as the Jeep. I take it on the Rubicon Trail also. No need to unhook. I've got a 6 way pivoting hitch.
21679_10152418480212706_8172524778519940251_n.jpg

Zstairlessone

Thanks for reply but not exactly what I was asking, I likely wasn't clear... Wiring Adaptor connects to the existing 4-flat (which I have on Jeep now) so those wire essentially go directly to the proper prongs on the 7-round (for trailer lights), then the back of the 7-round also includes additional wires that are to be run to and connected to ground, the ebrake controller and the battery for connection to those prongs on the 7-round (ebrakes, aux power). Just wondering if any one has used one of these adaptors and if so what their experience was. Then second question is regarding using an old Brake Controller versus dropping cash on a new on like the P3 that I see number of members have used? Just trying to figure out a good way to get from the 4-flat trailer set-up currently on the JKU to a safe way to haul a pop-up camper for family trip to Utah later this month :thumb:
I have used this adapter for a long time on trucks, haven't had any problems, well... one time I tore one up on the trail on a rock, but in fairness I did a lot of other rear end damage at the same time - it was a rough day

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Mopar actually makes a 7 pin connector kit for the jk. Might be cleaner than cut and splice job

Interesting. I've been looking at campers to pull behind the jeep and while it will be small, I still wanted to get a brake controller and electric brakes on the trailer.

Top Bottom