Transmission has died for the second time!

Brankz

Yeah Brankz, I'm covered under the 10yr/100K mile warranty on the remand transmission.

It's been years since I've owned a standard transmission. I do remember the feeling when a clutch is about to dump, but I've never heard the sound you're describing. Sucks that you're out of warranty.

Oh than your good correct?
They will replaced for a new one

JayKay

Caught the Bug
It's been years since I've owned a standard transmission. I do remember the feeling when a clutch is about to dump, but I've never heard the sound you're describing. Sucks that you're out of warranty.[/QUOTE]

Everything works fine, clutch, shifting, etc. If the throw out bearing goes bad, I can take care of that and I can also put a transmission in it if it goes bad, I just don't wanna have to pay for it. The 100K power train warranty should take care of the trans. Unfortunately the throw out bearing is on me.

Victor valley Chrysler

You are in luck with Victor Valley. They are a pretty good bunch, and I have had to use them for a couple of problems for my Ram 3500, that occured coming back from Flagstaff with 4 horses, and my 42 ft long living quarters trailer. Hauling horses across the desert is a something you need to be sure that you do quickly, as they over heat back there, and DIE!
You do NOT want to have to drag a dead horse out of your trailer so you can get the other 3 out!!
( Hasn't happened to me, but did to some one that was bringing their show horses back from Texas!) Victor Valley has a good rep as well, and will be a better shot that using someone in "Barstool"! They fixed my turbo problem and the lack of power with just a couple of recalibrations, and a new temp sensor!

jelliott076

man that sucks, hope they cover the new tranny and this one lasts more than a year for you.

When I spoke with Chrysler, I was assured that even with the mods I was covered because it is a 'remand' transmission

You are in luck with Victor Valley. They are a pretty good bunch...
Victor Valley...
someone in "Barstool"! !

Victor Valley and Barstool! Hilarious way to describe them! This is the kind of good news I need. Glad to hear they're good at what they do. Hopefully the product they select is to drop in my rig is better than the last POS.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jelliott076

Man alive was I wrong about being covered under the warranty. After a brutal fight, I lost out big time. I ordered the new tranny yesterday. I decided to avoid the OEM since is failed me twice and went with the ATS 42RLE

She cost a pretty penny, but the company seems to have faith in their product. Eddie gave me a stern warning last time this happened that Chrysler would flag my VIN if I chose to push the warranty issue with them. Sure enough Bud! They did and I had to go outside of OEM, which hopefully will work out in the long run. If all goes well I'll be up and running in about two weeks (shipping and install time).

http://www.offroadpowerproducts.com/p-8776-ats-42rle-transmission-07-12-jeep-jk.aspx

Last edited:

JeepFan

Hooked
Holy Moly Josh! That is unfortunate that your trans wasn't covered under warranty but, it looks like you picked a nice replacement. Will be interested to hear about the ATS trans once you've had a chance to put some miles on it.

jelliott076

That sucks the transmission is not covered under warranty. Did they give an explination as to why?

R/
Will

The explanation was simply "your RIPP Supercharger...and 37inch tires" void the warranty. To which I said, "...explatives x 100, and bummer". I think I was rather civil, though I did make the one Chrysler case manager Rian cry and stutter.

Holy Moly Josh! That is unfortunate that your trans wasn't covered under warranty but, it looks like you picked a nice replacement. Will be interested to hear about the ATS trans once you've had a chance to put some miles on it.

I am pretty excited about this one Tony, that company seems to have a lot of faith in the product. They even painted it Barney Purple for some reason. At least that's how it appears in the add. I'm going to miss the June Rubicon run, but I will let you know how it goes.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL at the Barney purple!! Sounds like it should do the trick for you and really, the price for it isn't as bad as I would have thought.

maybe someone can explain to me how a RIPP Supercharger would cause a transmission fail or how 37's would cause a transmission to fail? I just do not understand.

maybe someone can explain to me how a RIPP Supercharger would cause a transmission fail or how 37's would cause a transmission to fail? I just do not understand.

It's ok, Will. You and I shouldnt have to worry too much about having auto trans issues, WooHoo!

Last edited:

Heholua

I can see them blaming the supercharger with the increase in HP and torque, but the 37" tires is flat out grasping for straws.:thinking: These stealerships look for whatever they can to deny warranty work.:naw:

StrizzyChris

If I ever have a tranny or engine issue EVER....I'm trowing a set of stock tires on mine and rolling in there with a 12" gap between my fenders and tires! Gonna play dumb and say I like the look of it! For loving my Jeep soo much I sure do hate Chrysler/Fiat.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If I ever have a tranny or engine issue EVER....I'm trowing a set of stock tires on mine and rolling in there with a 12" gap between my fenders and tires! Gonna play dumb and say I like the look of it! For loving my Jeep soo much I sure do hate Chrysler/Fiat.

Why do you have a 12" gap now? Those coilovers are never going to be installed. :D

dft

I did this and removed all my aftermarket skid plating "as a favor". So they could get to the transmission faster. My rig started throwing codes while on our way home from camping. We had all our gear in a 5x8 utility trailer on 33's. Got home, cleared the codes to see if they'd reappear. Took it into the dealership. Service tech and rep pleaded my case to the manager but because I cleared the codes the manager wouldn't sign the work order. Took it for a long steady drive that night and all the codes came back. It helped that there were some steep hills on my route. Brought it back the following Monday and they took it in without question. Rebuilt at 80000km and after the factory required fluid change a year earlier. The fluid was burnt and many parts were replaced.

I have since added the psc tranny cooler. My service rep said that's a good idea and wouldn't give me a hardtime about it either. He also mentioned the fleets of sprinters they sold were burning through this transmission constantly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

jelliott076

LOL at the Barney purple!! Sounds like it should do the trick for you and really, the price for it isn't as bad as I would have thought.

The cost of the install and the quality of work they do cleaning out the cooling system will be the main factor. If they screw that up again I'm getting a $5200 (part and labor) paper weight. It will fail again no matter how tough it is.
I gambled an Chrysler did just as you said they would, flagged my VIN and blamed me. Its criminal really considering the reason it failed in the first place is work that Perry Chrysler in National City did in April '13 was shady. I will NEVER go back there.

With the 5.13 gearing the stress is suppossed have been taken off. RIPP swears up and down their product won't put the stress on the tranny as long as all preventative maintenance is done. I am going to pull the serial # off the remand tranny, I guarantee all they did was rebuild my old one (which failed last April) and stuffed it back in with out properly flushing the cooling system. I have a fat ass after market cooler which should have gotten jammed up a second time.

I can see them blaming the supercharger with the increase in HP and torque, but the 37" tires is flat out grasping for straws.:thinking: These stealerships look for whatever they can to deny warranty work.:naw:

Exactly! Chrysler doesn't make billions per year for giving away free stuff and living up to their warranties. As I said...bummer..

jelliott076

Too damn funny Chris! :thumbup:

Sent from my bicycle while texting and riding using WAYALIFE mobile app

jelliott076

I did this and removed all my aftermarket skid plating "as a favor". So they could get to the transmission faster. My rig started throwing codes while on our way home from camping. We had all our gear in a 5x8 utility trailer on 33's. Got home, cleared the codes to see if they'd reappear. Took it into the dealership. Service tech and rep pleaded my case to the manager but because I cleared the codes the manager wouldn't sign the work order. Took it for a long steady drive that night and all the codes came back. It helped that there were some steep hills on my route. Brought it back the following Monday and they took it in without question. Rebuilt at 80000km and after the factory required fluid change a year earlier. The fluid was burnt and many parts were replaced.

I have since added the psc tranny cooler. My service rep said that's a good idea and wouldn't give me a hardtime about it either. He also mentioned the fleets of sprinters they sold were burning through this transmission constantly.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I'm running the same if not a similar tranny cooler that the previous owner put in. My rig only has 58800+/- on it and the tranny that caused this whole issue is sitting at a little over 16k. One thing I've learned is Chrysler will do there best to save money. The 42RLE transmission does have a reputation for burning out. I'm worried as hell that the dealership is going to do a half assed job on the install of my new tranny. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Top Bottom