True cost to join the JK-X?

TheDuff

I really hope that this guy's actions don't keep nitto from contributing tires to future jkx participants. I really want a set of nittos (Not talking for free, I'm not applying for the event) and mostly because I can see the tires in action on the type of terrain I wheel on. With only one noted tire failure (totally the drivers fault *cough*ttfhell*cough*) in the last 2 jkx, I believe they have proven to be one of the, if not the toughest tire out there. I want to see nittos in action on the next jkx as well.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I really hope that this guy's actions don't keep nitto from contributing tires to future jkx participants. I really want a set of nittos (Not talking for free, I'm not applying for the event) and mostly because I can see the tires in action on the type of terrain I wheel on. With only one noted tire failure (totally the drivers fault *cough*ttfhell*cough*) in the last 2 jkx, I believe they have proven to be one of the, if not the toughest tire out there. I want to see nittos in action on the next jkx as well.

Sent from my LG-D800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Russ has had two and I've had one in the last 6 months. :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
How did you guys end up blowing them? Anything in particular I should try to avoid on the trails to minimize my chances of a failure?

Nothing in particular. Every incidence was different. I wouldn't hesitate to buy nittos again though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hypothetically, how much would it cost to take a stock Rubicon and gear it up to be ready for a JK-Experience trip? I'm talking everything from the build-up of the Jeep itself, as well as all the required extra gear, parts, etc. Could it be done with $15k into the Jeep? Another $5k for all the additional gear, tools, parts etc? Another $2.5k for travel expenses like hotel, gas, food, etc? I would love, someday, to be able to sign-up for a run (and cross my fingers to be chosen) and was just trying to guestimate what it would take to get there. I am sure most of you have thought about this at one point or another.

Honestly, rather than trying to budget for a build that will allow you to be a part of a trip that you may not even get picked to attend, I might just try to build it up so that you can have the most fun with it where you'll get to wheel it the most. Having said that, Chris ran the 2013 JKX with just bolt on coil overs, adjustable front lower control arms and 37's. Dynatrac ran it on 37's and standard 4" coils but otherwise, was pretty stock. You don't need to spend a ton of money to meet the JKX bare minimum requirements. Travel cost will depend on where the event takes place and how far away it is from where you live.

Fragsrus

Honestly, rather than trying to budget for a build that will allow you to be a part of a trip that you may not even get picked to attend, I might just try to build it up so that you can have the most fun with it where you'll get to wheel it the most. Having said that, Chris ran the 2013 JKX with just bolt on coil overs, adjustable front lower control arms and 37's. Dynatrac ran it on 37's and standard 4" coils but otherwise, was pretty stock. You don't need to spend a ton of money to meet the JKX bare minimum requirements. Travel cost will depend on where the event takes place and how far away it is from where you live.

Honestly, my intention was not to budget specifically to run a JKX. I was more just trying to get a feel for where my Jeep would need to be before I could even consider it. It will be many years before I am in a position to not only afford the cost but the time as well. Until then there is plenty of fun to be had here in the PNW.

Moochie

Honestly, my intention was not to budget specifically to run a JKX. I was more just trying to get a feel for where my Jeep would need to be before I could even consider it. It will be many years before I am in a position to not only afford the cost but the time as well. Until then there is plenty of fun to be had here in the PNW.

It would need to meet the minimum required modifications. It is not necessary to tackle all the nasty obstacles you see in the videos. It all depends on the capability of your JK and off-road driving expertise. Of course, some don't have bypasses.
http://www.jk-experience.com/?page_id=127

Fragsrus

It would need to meet the minimum required modifications. It is not necessary to tackle all the nasty obstacles you see in the videos. It all depends on the capability of your JK and off-road driving expertise. Of course, some don't have bypasses.
http://www.jk-experience.com/?page_id=127

I know the minimum requirements, they are posted on the JKX page. I could probably meet the bare minimum with less than $5k invested in a Rubicon. But what fun would that be? Having to break out the winch on every obstacle and slow everyone else down. I'd much rather know my rig is good to go. Like I said to begin with, this was a purely hypothetical question. Although I guess it seems a "hypothetical question" is often not that at all. In this instance it truly was not meant to be a "tell me how to build my ride for the JKX" thread. Thanks everyone for your input, it has been a very interesting thread so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Moochie

I know the minimum requirements, they are posted on the JKX page. I could probably meet the bare minimum with less than $5k invested in a Rubicon. But what fun would that be? Having to break out the winch on every obstacle and slow everyone else down. I'd much rather know my rig is good to go. Like I said to begin with, this was a purely hypothetical question. Although I guess it seems a "hypothetical question" is often not that at all. In this instance it truly was not meant to be a "tell me how to build my ride for the JKX" thread. Thanks everyone for your input, it has been a very interesting thread so far.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hypothetically you could spend $100,000 and still break something. People who have the minimum requirements can have just as much fun as the most badass Jk.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Hypothetically you could spend $100,000 and still break something. People who have the minimum requirements can have just as much fun as the most badass Jk.

That's not true. Everyone knows you need coilovers and a hemi to have fun. :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom