Tumes younhave actually utilized your Hi Lift jacks?

seanb123

LOL @ drinking the creek water. Is that Andrew (noroads) in the background?

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that Hi-Lift looks dangerous in that pic and really, is the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Hey look there's me! On a serious note army dog wanted to get use out of his highlift and it worked to get the tire changed it about 10 minutes. I believe most of the weight was off the high lift by now so it looks more dangerous than it was

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that Hi-Lift looks dangerous in that pic and really, is the wrong tool for the job at hand.

Ok, Im always looking to learn....why is that dangerous?

07JKSahara

Maybe it's just me but I see a 4500 lb. Jeep being held up by a leaning cast iron stick while someone is changing a tire. What could possibly go wrong? :idontknow:

And that leaning stick becomes a lever really fast. With multiplied force. Imagine if it slipped toward the person changing the tire...

I 2nd Eddie here. I don't trust them, but I do think hey have a place if you're smart about it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So that it isn't lost, I totally agree that Hi-Lifts have their place and I do own 2 of them. I just find that for MOST trails, they are totally NOT needed and I find that more times than not, people use them for the wrong job.

seanb123

Maybe it's just me but I see a 4500 lb. Jeep being held up by a leaning cast iron stick while someone is changing a tire. What could possibly go wrong? :idontknow:

With you here but I don't think us 4 guys in the back would have walked away with weight still on the jack.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With you here but I don't think us 4 guys in the back would have walked away with weight still on the jack.

LOL!! All I'm saying is that a bottle jack or even a scissor jack could have done this job better and safer. Of course, that's just me.

JAGS

Hooked
And that leaning stick becomes a lever really fast. With multiplied force. Imagine if it slipped toward the person changing the tire...

I 2nd Eddie here. I don't trust them, but I do think hey have a place if you're smart about it.

Totally agree and there are numerous vids on youtube of people getting jacked with a hi lift.

Most people buy a hi-lift without ever really learning how to use one (self included). I now carry a bottle jack, which still has some risks if you're stupid, but is a lot easier and safer overall.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Oh ok, I thought maybe it was something less obvious. I'd have to agree. I actually find the stock jack when used on a base or elevated works very VERY well. I actually created a little "tool" That attached to my impact driver (that I always carry with me out on the trail) that can raise and lower the stock jack using the impact driver with lightning speed....almost like those F1 jacks. :D

Armydog

You are correct. It wanted to kick out, but I think some of us just pushed against the other side to steady the jeep for a minute while the tire was changed. It was what was available and worked out. Not ideal by a long shot...

Armydog

Hey look there's me! On a serious note army dog wanted to get use out of his highlift and it worked to get the tire changed it about 10 minutes. I believe most of the weight was off the high lift by now so it looks more dangerous than it was

It was the first and only time (pretty sure) that I have used that thing to actually lift a jeep.

Jaydoc1

Strapping the axle is key to making a hi-lift do the same job a bottle jack can do faster, easier and safer. It is the reason why I no longer carry a hi-lift with me on the trail.

That comment tells me just about everything that I figured. Hi Lift looks good on a Jeep. Bottle Jack WORKS good on a Jeep. I'm planning on continuing to carry my Hi Lift but I added a bottle jack to my trail tools. Why still carry the Hi Lift? Because my wife likes the way it looks. LOL

Last edited:

Petthefish

So that it isn't lost, I totally agree that Hi-Lifts have their place and I do own 2 of them. I just find that for MOST trails, they are totally NOT needed and I find that more times than not, people use them for the wrong job.

Eddie have you used a bottle jack extension incase the jack is to short?

We have a Hi-Lift on the wife's Jeep but that is because I don't have a winch on her Jeep yet. It's a much longer process, but it does work and it's better than nothing. I would not use it to actually lift the Jeep. In fact, every time I see someone doing this I get as far away as possible and get my first aid kit ready.

I currently use the factory scissor jack and a block of wood. The key to using it is getting the Jeep pretty level which can be tricky. Scissor jacks (especially the factory one) do not like much side load and can twist and fail fairly easy. I keep meaning to get a decent bottle jack but always forget when I'm in a place that has one.

Anyone use the air bag lifts? Just curious as I've considered them too....

613VMq05-tL._SL1500_.jpg

mikefishes

I used mine all the time to help break the bead when changing out my tires on my bead lock wheels.

This^^^ I saw your post a while back JUST AFTER after I spent a few hours struggling with breaking a bead and after a few years THAT was the most useful it ever was to me.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Supposedly those Xjacks are amazing in soft stuff like mud and sand....the fact that it can be used with the exhaust is pretty damn cool.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie have you used a bottle jack extension incase the jack is to short?

I carry some cut down pieces of 2x4's that I store neatly in the trunk cubby. If needed, I stack them up to give me what I want/need. So far, this has worked out well for me especially being that you really want to jack from something like your pumpkin or the base of your control arm joints at the axle and they are typically the lowest point on your Jeep anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This^^^ I saw your post a while back JUST AFTER after I spent a few hours struggling with breaking a bead and after a few years THAT was the most useful it ever was to me.

LOL!! Glad to hear I was able to share something useful here. :cool:

Top Bottom