Using off road light for evil

David1tontj

Yeah that would never work. You can't shift into reverse while moving forward. Just doesn't work.

And I knew that too!! all the gears are already spinning forward! But for some reason I had to be a myth buster!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Bonehead

You usually don't have to actually go into reverse to get the lights to come on in most manual vehicles I have had.......just starting into it is enough to do it most times, just don't go to far or nasty sounds happen ;)

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You usually don't have to actually go into reverse to get the lights to come on in most manual vehicles I have had.......just starting into it is enough to do it most times, just don't go to far or nasty sounds happen ;)

You need to be in reverse for the lights to come on. Give it a try.

catahoula

Caught the Bug

Yup!^^^^^^^

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I have fog lights in my rear bumper. Mainly use them for setting up camp at night after a long day on the trail. Also use them occasionally for reverse lights (I don't have any) or for letting people know their bright lights are on.

jesse3638

Hooked
When I lived in Texas, I always had idiots doing stupid crap right in front of me. First time I found out that I could still lock up my 33's. I blinded many a person with my KCs and Delta headlights. My aux. reverse lights only come on when I switch into reverse. I've been thinking of changing that since Cali drivers love to tailgate. When I can't see your windshield behind my spare, you're way too damn close.

Hey hey now! It may not be tailgating. It could be one of several things:

1. If its a Prius or some other version of a fuel saver they are probably some "Protect the environment" nut mentioned earlier in this thread. By "tailgating", as you call it, they are trying to get as close to you so they can utilize your slip stream to even further their fuel mileage, thus lessening their carbon foot print.

2. If its a non-fuel saver they are protecting their space. You know how many vehicles can squeeze into the space created by the standard 4 second following distance. Those extra vehicles means its going to take 3.78 seconds longer to get to their destination.

3. If you feel you are getting tailgated look out your windshield. If you are in the "Fast lane" but not traveling "fast" they are simply reminding you of your mistake. So kindly get out of their way because in CA you are entitled to go as fast as I want regardless of the posted speed limit. Plus its safe to assume several vehicles got into their space therefore are trying to make up that 3.78 seconds I mentioned earlier.

4. Finally if the said tailgater doesn't fall into one of the previous categories he/she is just a plain A**hole! This is where the large horizontal rectangular pedal next to the vertical skinny pedal, or in the case of a manual trans the middle pedal comes into play if you do not have aux reverse lights. Simply step on this as hard as you can while looking into your rear view mirror. Duration depends on the result you are looking for. *Warning!* Depressing the pedal too long my result in damage to your vehicle, unless you have an after market bumper them it may be simply cosmetic.

*Disclaimer* Residents in CA cannot carry guns according to law so do not worry about the tailgater having one and threatening you with it.

I hope you find this insightful and remember I dont always drive in CA but when I do I drive offensively and aggressively.... ;) Safe driving my friends!

Last edited:
Hey hey now! It may not be tailgating. It could be one of several things:

1. If its a Prius or some other version of a fuel saver they are probably some "Protect the environment" nut mentioned earlier in this thread. By "tailgating", as you call it, they are trying to get as close to you so they can utilize your slip stream to even further their fuel mileage, thus lessening their carbon foot print.

2. If its a non-fuel saver they are protecting their space. You know how many vehicles can squeeze into the space created by the standard 4 second following distance. Those extra vehicles means its going to take 3.78 seconds longer to get to their destination.

3. If you feel you are getting tailgated look out your windshield. If you are in the "Fast lane" but not traveling "fast" they are simply reminding you of your mistake. So kindly get out of their way because in CA you are entitled to go as fast as I want regardless of the posted speed limit. Plus its safe to assume several vehicles got into their space therefore are trying to make up that 3.78 seconds I mentioned earlier.

4. Finally if the said tailgater doesn't fall into one of the previous categories he/she is just a plain A**hole! This is where the large horizontal rectangular pedal next to the vertical skinny pedal, or in the case of a manual trans the middle pedal comes into play if you do not have aux reverse lights. Simply step on this as hard as you can while looking into your rear view mirror. Duration depends on the result you are looking for. *Warning!* Depressing the pedal too long my result in damage to your vehicle, unless you have an after market bumper them it may be simply cosmetic.

*Disclaimer* Residents in CA cannot carry guns according to law so do not worry about the tailgater having one and threatening you with it.

I hope you find this insightful and remember I dont always drive in CA but when I do I drive offensively and aggressively.... ;) Safe driving my friends!

Oh well what about the wanna be gangsters that do carry guns I'm California? Do they count? Oh wait they are purchased illegally ! :)

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Funny how the guys who say it will work drive automatics, and the guys who insist that it won't actually have manuals! Coincidence??

So if you're cruising along and some dick bag is driving behind you with his high beams on, you would not be able to push in and hold the clutch, shift to reverse but never let off the clutch, and have your reverse lights come on? You wouldn't be able to even move the gear selector to reverse at all? It would be really stupid and could grenade your trans if your foot slips off but, unless today's manual transmissions are way more advanced than they used to be, this would work.

David1tontj

So if you're cruising along and some dick bag is driving behind you with his high beams on, you would not be able to push in and hold the clutch, shift to reverse but never let off the clutch, and have your reverse lights come on? You wouldn't be able to even move the gear selector to reverse at all? It would be really stupid and could grenade your trans if your foot slips off but, unless today's manual transmissions are way more advanced than they used to be, this would work.

Ok, I've driven non-synchro old transmissions, and new modern , synchromesh transmissions.. With my old truck (sm420 trans) you couldn't even downshift to another forward gear unless you got the engine RPMs to match the speed that the gears would be traveling in the gear you were trying to get to.. All of this is with the clutch depressed.. So there's no way it would ever be possible to get that tranny into reverse while traveling forward, especially at anything over 3or 4 mph.

New transmissions shift into gears WAY easier than the old ones, and they still won't go into reverse while traveling at even as low as 5mph. Even with the clutch in... I tried it last night even though I knew it wouldn't, and guess what.... Still won't work! The only way I know of that you could be in reverse while traveling forward is if you put it in reverse while stopped and then rolled down a hill or something..

Please, get in your mom, brother, friend, or rental car that's a stick, and try it yourself. I won't be surprised with your findings

Kenny-g

Caught the Bug
Hmmm I understand the modern transmissions but I feel like the older ones would be able to do this. Whatever. It makes sense in my head but if you can't do it, you can't do it.

Top Bottom