VIDEO : BREAKING a TIRE BEAD & RESEATING it with FIRE!

Kilroy

VIDEO : BREAKING a TIRE BEAD & RESEATING it with FIRE!

Works great il had to do that on the trail before. But take out the valve or it will jump on you , like he explains in the video.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
That's prob the safest way I have ever seen it done. Usually you see it pop on in a fury. That big of an explosion could ruin the wheel and even the tire. This was WAY more controlled and allowed the excess air to exit thru the steam instead of potentially ruining the wheel. Thanks for making this and sharing Eddie and Cindy!!

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have tried this so many times, and never had it work but I never took out the valve stem or sprayed in the 4 spots then hit with a hammer. Thank you for making this :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It should be noted that this video was made because it was fun, we needed to swap out a valve stem and it was something we could do. That being said, we could have just as easily got the bead reseated simply by pulling the tire over the valve stem and airing it up with a PowerPlant compressor - trust me, we have done it. Where a lot of guys totally blow this method is that they don't take the tire off the Jeep, remove the valve stem core or don't use a hammer to equalize the pressure and in that order. This can be a dangerous method to use especially if you're up in an area where fire hazards exist like up in the crispy dry mountains of California. If you're there and in need of reseating a bead, DO NOT use this method.

SJ21XDC

Very cool video. I've seen other videos doing this and they always looked sketchy. This looked very controlled and I might give it a try!
Thanks for sharing! :thumb:

geberhard

Douchebag
Actually, this will NOT work on a bead lock wheel. :crazyeyes:

Cool video and tips. I do disagree with some comments though. You can actually leave the valve stem sealed, on a regular 33-35" the pop will inflate the tire to about 10 psi. The hammer is news to me, if you spray properly there is no need to "equalize", as the starter fluid is in gas form.

I have done it several times and it does work very well on single beadlocks the same way when you pop a inner bead. I have popped inner beads on 38 and 42's, same approach and can be done on the rig after lifting enough from the ground.

Another tip is use a ratchet strap in the center section if you are having a hard time seating the beads (i.e. if both inner and outer beads are popped).

You can user starter fluid, but 4wd also works well. One suggestion is to make a little trail outwards so you do not have to light as close to the tire for when it burns ad pops

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool video and tips. You can actually leave the valve stem sealed, on a regular 33-35" the pop will inflate about 10 psi.

I would NOT recommend this. While it "can" work, I have seen it NOT work more times than not. IF you're going to use this method at all, I personally would err on the side of caution.

I have done it several times and it does work very well on single beadlocks the same way when you pop a inner bead. I have popped inner beads on 38 and 42's same approach and can be done on the rig after lifting enough from the ground.

LOL!! Clearly, I am nowhere near the badass you are as I have yet to break an inner bead. That being said, you are correct, if the tire is still secured by the bead lock ring and if the inside bead is broke, this method will work. I was just thinking more in terms of if you were trying to seat a tire on a wheel prior to installing a ring - my mistake. Also, I still think it's a dumb idea to do this while your tire is still on your rig. A lot can go wrong and you are playing with fire but of course, that's just me.

You can user starter fluid, but 4wd also works well. One suggestion is to make a little trail outwards so you do not have to light as close to the tire for when it burns ad pops

I think you meant to say "WD40" and not "4WD" but again, if you're doing this right, you will NEED to use a hammer or something like it to equalize the pressure. The tire shouldn't just pop on you as the video shows. You did watch the video, right?

Kilroy

It should be noted that this video was made because it was fun, we needed to swap out a valve stem and it was something we could do. That being said, we could have just as easily got the bead reseated simply by pulling the tire over the valve stem and airing it up with a PowerPlant compressor - trust me, we have done it. Where a lot of guys totally blow this method is that they don't take the tire off the Jeep, remove the valve stem core or don't use a hammer to equalize the pressure and in that order. This can be a dangerous method to use especially if you're up in an area where fire hazards exist like up in the crispy dry mountains of California. If you're there and in need of reseating a bead, DO NOT use this method.

Where's the legal tag, you need to a video on that like when the guy talks really fast after a car commercial. Lol JFWY

Great vid for when you have no other options.

geberhard

Douchebag
ops darn auto correct, yep WD40 :D Eddie, not arguing or implying "bad-assness level," but have had inner beads popping, and removing a heavy fawker tire to reset the bead when it can be done properly and safely done in the rig, is wasted time and effort..when done correctly.

I still see no need to use a hammer to equalize gas on the tire, as the starter fluid gas is normally lighter than air and will spread evenly without pockets, specially as seen on the video with the tire sitting flat on the ground, but to each his own. Cool video nonetheless.

Top Bottom