VIDEO : BREAKING a TIRE BEAD & RESEATING it with FIRE!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I still see no need to use a hammer to equalize gas on the tire, as the starter fluid gas is normally lighter than air and will spread evenly without pockets, specially as seen on the video with the tire sitting flat on the ground, but to each his own. Cool video nonetheless.

Clearly, you must know the exact amount of starter fluid to use. As we point out in the video, if you know it, it can work without pulling the valve stem or using a hammer. That being said, we don't know what that magical amount is and as you can see in the video, in spite of gas normally being lighter than air, NOTHING happened once the fire was going. That is why we showed it and BEFORE using a hammer to equalize the pressure. But hey, what would we know.

BTW, not like I've ever seen it but, here's what can happen when you DON'T remove your 35" tire from your Jeep and DON'T remove the valve stem core and this is to say nothing about using a hammer to equalize the pressure.

main.php

Between the growing fire, the precarious Hi-Lift starting to fall from all the kicking of the tire and all the guys standing on the cliff side of the falling Jeep, there was just so much wrong going on that it was any wonder that nobody got seriously hurt.

swampdog

Also, please note, this method is known by the State of California to cause cancer...proceed at your own risk.

AU Bronc N JK

Ok, that was pretty sweet. I want to know who the first guy was who said "Guys, let's pour some starter fluid on it, light it on fire, and use the explosion to pop it out." Probably the same guy who said "I'm going to go up to that cow, pull on it's udder, and whatever comes out, I'm drinking it."

I believe it was MacGyver!!! Lol

geberhard

Douchebag
...BTW, not like I've ever seen it but, here's what can happen when you DON'T remove your 35" tire from your Jeep and DON'T remove the valve stem core and this is to say nothing about using a hammer to equalize the pressure.

main.php

Between the growing fire, the precarious Hi-Lift starting to fall from all the kicking of the tire and all the guys standing on the cliff side of the falling Jeep, there was just so much wrong going on that it was any wonder that nobody got seriously hurt.

Agreed, the above pic is all kinds of bad stuff waiting to happen. We can not fix stupid :)

I think the hammer was used to equalize the gas, not pressure right?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
ops darn auto correct, yep WD40 :D Eddie, not arguing or implying "bad-assness level," but have had inner beads popping, and removing a heavy fawker tire to reset the bead when it can be done properly and safely done in the rig, is wasted time and effort..when done correctly.

I still see no need to use a hammer to equalize gas on the tire, as the starter fluid gas is normally lighter than air and will spread evenly without pockets, specially as seen on the video with the tire sitting flat on the ground, but to each his own. Cool video nonetheless.

IF the tire is on the rig, and "starter fluid gas" is in fact "normally Lighter than air" how exactly WILL it spread evenly without pockets? :thinking: :idontknow:

It cant and wont. :crazyeyes:

I'm not saying you cant reset a bead that way... I'm saying your reasoning behind "why it works" is incorrect on a fundamental physics level. Taking the wheel&tire off the rig and laying it flat on the ground will be MUCH more efficient at "spreading the starter fluid gas" evenly by that logic. :yup:

Last edited:

geberhard

Douchebag
IF the tire is on the rig, and "starter fluid gas" is in fact "normally Lighter than air" how exactly WILL it spread evenly without pockets? :thinking: :idontknow:

It cant and wont. :crazyeyes:

I'm not saying you cant reset a bead that way... I'm saying your reasoning behind "why it works" is incorrect on a fundamental physics level. Taking the wheel&tire off the rig and laying it flat on the ground will be MUCH more efficient at "spreading the starter fluid gas" evenly by that logic. :yup:

You are mixing things. I am not making any reasoning on why it works, actually the gas does not need to be evenly distributed at all for the trick to work. I would say try it yourself or browse one of the many videos online... IMO, there is no need to use a hammer, SPECIALLY as in the example in the video with the tire out of the rig, as the gas will distribute evenly... there is no "pressure equalization" as there is simply no pressure yet on the tire... IMO there is no need to remove the tire from the rig to re-seat the bead using lighter fluid, or the need of a hammer. Again, this is nothing new, there is no magic involved and it is simple enough that most people will have no issues doing it. Sure, if you have the time and luxury of removing the tire off the rig and that makes you feel more comfortable by all means do it :D This is a cool video and a different way to do it (never seen the need to use a hammer), and to each its own, whatever works...

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
That was worth the price of admission. Aside from entertainment value, may prove to be very useful at some point. I'd heard about doing this but never seen a practical example. Thanks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
IMO, there is no need to use a hammer, SPECIALLY as in the example in the video with the tire out of the rig, as the gas will distribute evenly. there is no "pressure equalization" as there is simply no pressure yet on the tire... IMO there is no need to remove the tire from the rig to re-seat the bead using lighter fluid, or the need of a hammer.

Umm, if you're referring to our video, you clearly missed the part where the fire is burning and nothing happens. The bead only seats AFTER the sidewall of the tire is hit. This is NOT an opinion, this is a FACT and one that we've demonstrated. I get that YOU don't think any of the steps we've taken is "needed" but based on what I have seen countless times in the past, I would NOT recommend doing this trick based on YOUR opinion. The steps we've taken were done in the hopes of doing this as SAFELY as possible. The reality is, this "trick" is NEVER really "needed" or, not so far as I have seen.

Again, this is nothing new, there is no magic involved and it is simple enough that most people will have no issues doing it. Sure, if you have the time and luxury of removing the tire off the rig and that makes you feel more comfortable by all means do it :D This is a cool video and a different way to do it (never seen the need to use a hammer), and to each its own, whatever works...

You're right, this is nothing new and for all the times I've seen people attempt to do this trick, MOST have failed miserably. In my limited experience, there is NEVER a time when this trick is "needed" and we only did it for fun. Again, the steps we've taken were done so that we could do it as safely as possible - "comfort" had nothing to do with it. But you are right, to each his own and you should feel free to work on your Jeep however you want. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing :thumb:

LOL!! Glad you ENJOYED the video :crazyeyes:

That was worth the price of admission. Aside from entertainment value, may prove to be very useful at some point. I'd heard about doing this but never seen a practical example. Thanks.

Nah. In my limited experience, this is NEVER something you will "need" but it is fun to do. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so you can take that for what it's worth. :yup:

geberhard

Douchebag
Exactly my opinion = IMO. I will make sure to try the hammer trick next time :crazyeyes:

cool fun video nonetheless IMO :D

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have seen it done before, but that method actually looked simpler.

Kinda cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom