VIDEO - SECRET of the SAND : The Singing Sands of the Kelso Dunes

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone! So glad that all of you here like the video. I just looked at our YouTube channel and see it already has 6 dislikes! We typically get our standard 3 haters giving us a dislike after a few days and occasionally, a few more after about a week but these came in a hurry. Guess if there aren't Jeeps driving over stuff, it ain't worth a thing to some :crazyeyes:

Digging into the archives! Nice!

Yeah, we have a ton of projects that we had started a few years back but had to shelve in order to work on week long event videos. Needless to say, we finally have a bit more time on our hands and are eager to finish up a few of these. :yup:

My only complaint about your videos is that you guys don't make nearly enough of them. :D Absolutely tremendous, although I don't know if I would climb the dunes in triple digit heat. :thumb:

LOL!! If you go before the crack of dawn, it'll be "easier" without the sun beating down on you but still crazy hot. Worth the experience though.

Awesome Video! I enjoyed it as usually! You two are awesome and I can't wait until one day I can meet you in person!

Glad to hear it and it would be great to meet you in person as well :)

Wow. Great video. A new location to go to this summer. 

Awesome, glad to hear we've inspired you to get out and do it for yourself :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very cool video. That's crazy. As mentioned in the original post, the places our Jeeps take us is what got my wife and I into Jeeping. Sure, sometimes it's fun to hit a hard trail and test yourself and your equipment, but for us it will always be about the adventure. I can't wait to see more Wayalife Destination videos. Great job!

We're glad to hear it. For us, this is the WAYALIFE and why we always say how it's more than just being about Jeeps. Getting out, getting out with friends and getting out to see all the wonders we have right here in this country IS why we got into Jeeps. For us, driving over stuff is just icing on the cake. We hope to bring you more videos just like this soon :yup:

That is really awesome using the sound of nature. Really cool video Eddie is any true reason as to how the dunes make that sound?

It's been a mystery for years but there has been a lot of research into it and there are a few things that need to make it happen. First, the type of sand needs to be right and the granules need to be round in shape. Second, it needs to be extremely dry out - that's why you need to do this in the middle of summer. What this will do is create a gap between the surface layer of sand that is dry and the wet sand underneath. When you push on the crests to cause a sand avalanche, the friction of sliding surface layer and the damp layer underneath vibrates and that's where the sound comes from. The sound is created much like a violin or cello bow being drawn over the strings. :yup:

I remember u doing a video of this back some time ago. Such a cool thing to experience! Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, that was made as a teaser clip. We're just glad that we finally have a bit more time to finish up some of these old projects :yup:

That was REALLY neat!! There was another video that you took of rumble strips (I think that's what they were) that played America the Beautiful at 45 miles an hour!! You definitely come up with some great videos, both on and off the road!!

LOL!! Glad you like some of the stuff we do and we hope that we'll be able to inspire you to get out and find some of this stuff for yourself :thumb:

Thank you for sharing this clip. I'd never heard of this phenomenon. Very cool!

Awesome, glad we could share it with you :cool:

jelliott076

It's been a mystery for years but there has been a lot of research into it and there are a few things that need to make it happen. First, the type of sand needs to be right and the granules need to be round in shape. Second, it needs to be extremely dry out - that's why you need to do this in the middle of summer. What this will do is create a gap between the surface layer of sand that is dry and the wet sand underneath. When you push on the crests to cause a sand avalanche, the friction of sliding surface layer and the damp layer underneath vibrates and that's where the sound comes from. The sound is created much like a violin or cello bow being drawn over the strings. :yup:

That' an awesome explanation brother, and it answers my question for sure! Awesome videos and great adventures as always.

It's 5hrs from my place, so its on the list!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Never knew sand could do that! :shock::clap2: Awesome video!

LOL!! I know, who would have guessed? But really, you have to do it for yourself to "feel" it in your feet and body as much as hear it. It's totally nuts :crazyeyes:

Awesome. Yet another place to add to the list.

So you know, this phenomenon also occurs on Sand Mountain just east of Fallon. Only problem is that it's open to off road vehicles and as you know, can be filled with a bunch of yahoos. If you do it, you might want to go on a weekday so that you don't get run over by a side-by-side. :rolleyes2:

Eddie, do you guys have any idea if this is a weather (heat of summer effecting the sand) created phenomenon? or if its the wind? That is the coolest thing I've seen recently! I'd love to head back out there during the Summer, though it may actually be hotter than Phoenix. Last time I was there I fried my transmission! Crossing my fingers that garbage doesn't happen again..ever!

The heat is important as it ensure that the humidity is extremely low (a necessary component to make this happen) and that the surface layer of sand is very very dry. The wind is also necessary to create the steep crests as ones being 30° or steeper are needed to make this happen. If the wind is strong enough, the sand will slide all on its own and cause it to sing. But, doing this on a windy day would suck to no end. :icon_crazy:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That' an awesome explanation brother, and it answers my question for sure! Awesome videos and great adventures as always.

It's 5hrs from my place, so its on the list!

LOL!! Well, I think I got all that right anyway. At least, it's all based on the research I had done on it over the years. :cool:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Curious what the chances are of someone crawling up that slope...cheating death, and NOT getting the "song" payoff.....I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I make the hike without the reward. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Curious what the chances are of someone crawling up that slope...cheating death, and NOT getting the "song" payoff.....I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I make the hike without the reward. :D

LOL!! Oh, I'm sure it happens all the time. In reality, you could try doing this most anytime of year but the odds of the conditions being just right are against you unless you do it in the summer. Of course, the Mojave does get monsoon rains in the summer as well so, it's kind of a hard trip to plan in advance. You pretty much just have to pick up and go when you think it'll be right. :crazyeyes:

JAGS

Hooked
Late to the party on this one, but I've heard stories you've shared. That place looks really cool and think I'll need to get the family out there. [emoji106]

For Cindy and I, the Jeep WAYALIFE has always been more about the places our rigs can take us than just getting out and driving over stuff. Not that there's anything wrong with the latter but we already make plenty of videos of that. With that said, we wanted to change things up a bit and decided to make this short video to highlight an amazing "destination" that our Jeep took us to. We hope that you'll enjoy it and maybe be inspired to get out and do it for yourself!

About an hour and a half east of Barstow and located deep inside the Mojave National Preserve, there lies a 600 ft. mountain of sand known as the Kelso Dunes. For those of you who are willing to make the arduous climb to the top of them and be willing to do it in the middle of summer when it's sure to be the hottest out, there is a secret that the sands will reveal to you and in the form of a song. The trick is that it has to be hot... REALLY HOT - like triple digit hot and it has to of been like that for some time. Once out there, you have to climb to a crest that's over 120 ft. tall and with a slope of 30° or more. From there, all you have to do is start pushing down the crests or walk down the slope and the sand will sing for you in the notes of G, E and F and as loud as 105 decibels. It'll quite literally feel and sound as if you're standing on an enormous cello.

:cool:

Now Thats Awesome

greggnj

Great video. That's really wild. It looks like Tessa was trying to figure out where the sound was coming from.

Top Bottom