WARNING: Edelbrock Super Charger

USMCvet

Banned
First off this is not a basing thread. This is a thread in search of answers and suggestions. Also a notice for others to look for this potential issue. Personally if I bought the supercharger 2 weeks or 2 months from now and this issue was not anywhere to be seen, its a disservice to the offroad community. We are hoping that SCT can correct the 'gate keeper' to allow the tune to be pushed, or now we have learned that anyone who buys the SC may in fact need a new ECU if they have ever had Superchips applied. But we have also not confirmed it is superchips, as the dealer reflash 'Should' have corrected this. The ultimate goal here is to provide in the end what corrected the situation is, be it SCT, a new ECU, or a custom tune. Personally if I was purchasing something brand new to this market, I would hope everyone else would post their findings, so we don't all reinvent the wheel.

I know enough about software and electronics to write with some basic knowledge. I can buy into the fact that initially when you returned the vehicle to stock, you may have missed a final step and left a "ghost image" of the Superchips program on the ECU. However, when you completed the process again successfully and then took it to the dealer for a reflash of the ECU, I can't buy into anything residual from the Superchips program remaining on that unit. Essentially a reflash of an ECU wipes the unit clean, all programming, code, etc., and installs a new, updated factory program. Barring a bad or flawed ECU, which your dealer would have advised, there's no residual code remaining or "ghost image" on the ECU from the Superchips upload. So I too call BS. That said, your issue lies with the new software. Take your SCT and update it with the most current update. This will take several times to achieve as all the updates will NOT upload on the first go round. Return your vehicle to stock and reboot the system - remove the neg., pos., 30 mins., so on and so forth. Once you've done that, upload the tune the Edelbrock instructions call for, start with the basic tune. Go back over your install to ensure it was done correctly and unplug the unit. Go over the install of your SC again as well, make sure you didn't miss something or have a loose ground. Lastly, make sure you have a fully charged battery before you fire it up. Start you Jeep. I'm relatively new here too and have friends on here. Don't bash products, but it's ok to ask for help. Introduce yourself and these good people have a wealth of information.

You mentioned you were aware that you are the third person to ever receive the blower.... IMO this means you knew and accepted the possible problems along the way.

The reason people are perceiving this as a "bitch" thread is largely due to the title. "WARNING" Many will never make it past this and formulate an opinion about the product without reading the facts.

Don't get me wrong; it seems like you should be getting better support... But, in all fairness they might be scrambling to understand the issue. If I was, I wouldn't be quick to call you back either.

JKWrang

You mentioned you were aware that you are the third person to ever receive the blower.... IMO this means you knew and accepted the possible problems along the way.

The reason people are perceiving this as a "bitch" thread is largely due to the title. "WARNING" Many will never make it past this and formulate an opinion about the product without reading the facts.

Don't get me wrong; it seems like you should be getting better support... But, in all fairness they might be scrambling to understand the issue. If I was, I wouldn't be quick to call you back either.

This.

I'm not gonna call you back to update you on no progress. Seems like a waste of my time and yours.

Sixrox

Warning was simply used as the issue makes the jeep not drivable. It may have been an inaccurate choice of a title, but was simply used due to the gravity of the issue. Furthermore that dozens of people may be encountering or about to encounter the issue. I'll look into changing it.

dannymalkin

Warning was simply used as the issue makes the jeep not drivable. It may have been an inaccurate choice of a title, but was simply used due to the gravity of the issue. Furthermore that dozens of people may be encountering or about to encounter the issue. I'll look into changing it.

USMCvet took the time to write out a nice long paragraph trying to help you. Did he have to do that? Does anyone have to help you? No. But they did anyway.

I think maybe a thanks or acknowledgement would be nice for his effort don't you?

Last edited:

USMCvet

Banned
USMCvet took the time to write out a nice long paragraph trying to help you. Did he have to do that? Does anyone have to help you? No. But they did anyway.

I think maybe a thanks or acknowledgement would be nice for his effort don't you?

At this point, I'm not sure this guy can even read. In fact, he's pissing me off with all his boohooing. I really don't want anything from this guy but I really do appreciate your post. Thanks.

Sixrox

I know enough about software and electronics to write with some basic knowledge. I can buy into the fact that initially when you returned the vehicle to stock, you may have missed a final step and left a "ghost image" of the Superchips program on the ECU. However, when you completed the process again successfully and then took it to the dealer for a reflash of the ECU, I can't buy into anything residual from the Superchips program remaining on that unit. Essentially a reflash of an ECU wipes the unit clean, all programming, code, etc., and installs a new, updated factory program. Barring a bad or flawed ECU, which your dealer would have advised, there's no residual code remaining or "ghost image" on the ECU from the Superchips upload. So I too call BS. That said, your issue lies with the new software. Take your SCT and update it with the most current update. This will take several times to achieve as all the updates will NOT upload on the first go round. Return your vehicle to stock and reboot the system - remove the neg., pos., 30 mins., so on and so forth. Once you've done that, upload the tune the Edelbrock instructions call for, start with the basic tune. Go back over your install to ensure it was done correctly and unplug the unit. Go over the install of your SC again as well, make sure you didn't miss something or have a loose ground. Lastly, make sure you have a fully charged battery before you fire it up. Start you Jeep. I'm relatively new here too and have friends on here. Don't bash products, but it's ok to ask for help. Introduce yourself and these good people have a wealth of information.

Thanks USMCvet for the response. When we pulled the post dealer flash from the Jeep and sent it to SCT, they indicated that the 'Boot Logger' still showed a modified file. This is where the problem lies I believe, and so far to my knowledge have said they cannot get past this with their tuner. We have the new ECU coming in a few more days, but feel that should not be required to do this. In the end, if it is now we know. We hope to see others that attempt the install and see if they encounter the same errors or not. We can't wait to get it on the Dyno and see what the new results are. I will also check into your recommendation of the procedure.

I cant offer any tech help on this thread but I can give you some hope.

I drove the Dana Spicer Jeep in Moab last week that has the edelbrock supercharger installed and honestly I was blown away at how it performed. I have driven ripp and magnuson and the edelbrock is my favorite. Also I have forwarded this link to my contact at edelbrock hopefully they can offer some assistance.

David

Sixrox

Awesome thanks David... I can't wait to get it going. See what the Dyno says the numbers really are.

Sithwindu

I drove the Dana Spicer Jeep in Moab last week that has the edelbrock supercharger installed and honestly I was blown away at how it performed. I have driven ripp and magnuson and the edelbrock is my favorite. Also I have forwarded this link to my contact at edelbrock hopefully they can offer some assistance.

David

Yall never cease to amaze me on your customer (and sometimes non cunstomer) support!!! Which is why I will always shop with you guys.

jedg

Yall never cease to amaze me on your customer (and sometimes non cunstomer) support!!! Which is why I will always shop with you guys.

eyup... this ^^^ ... the reason I purchased shocks from them a couple days ago.

Rancho

Caught the Bug
We have been running one for the last month or so, no issues FYI. I also don't think we have any tunes on our 2012 JKU besides a ProCal.
Good luck.

IMG_2452_zps5nzksbvu.jpg

Rancho

Caught the Bug
David
Is that Troy?
Was about to reach out to him myself.
Matt

David

CRZRTX

Drivetrain:
Spicer – Ultimate Dana 60 Front Axle (Waiting for Install)
Spicer – Ultimate Dana 60 Rear Axle (Waiting for Install)
Spicer – 5.38 Gearing (Waiting for Install)
ATX Slabs 17x9 8 Lug (Waiting for Install)
Nitto – Trail Grappler K-Spec 40x13.50x17
Teraflex – Front Brake Lines
Teraflex – Rear Brake Lines
Tom Woods – 1350 Front Driveshaft
Tom Woods – 1350 Rear Driveshaft

You will find out that the ATX Slabs in 17" will barely fit the Spicer Ultimate Dana 60 front calipers. I went with 18" just to have more clearance. It sounds like you already bought them, but if not, you may want to re-think it. 17" slabs only have about 1/16th if any clearance. The axles are great. I have about 4000 miles on mine so far. I wheeled out in Moab last week and noticed a big improvement over what I had before (wider stance, lower gears, bigger tires). Best of luck. Sounds like you already have a handful of problems. This might help you avoid another one.

Sixrox

You will find out that the ATX Slabs in 17" will barely fit the Spicer Ultimate Dana 60 front calipers. I went with 18" just to have more clearance. It sounds like you already bought them, but if not, you may want to re-think it. 17" slabs only have about 1/16th if any clearance. The axles are great. I have about 4000 miles on mine so far. I wheeled out in Moab last week and noticed a big improvement over what I had before (wider stance, lower gears, bigger tires). Best of luck. Sounds like you already have a handful of problems. This might help you avoid another one.

CRZRTX, I actually heard the Slabs don't fit. I ordered them before knowing that, as well as having them powder coated. So I am kind of stuck with them. I have a 1.5" spacer coming to at least hopefully mount them while I look for different wheels. I heard the Chamber Pro II work. Already have the tires as well, so kind of stuck at 17s unless I replace those as well.

Top Bottom