WARNING: Edelbrock Super Charger

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Sixrox, happy to learn there may be a solution in the works for your Edelbrock puffer. I've been leaning fwd ever since Eddie posted a photo of a prototype from SEMA. I think for the Edelbrock software developers this is one of those :doh: moments. They'll fix it. This is also a great example of why it's good to have folks like Northridge and Dynomax on the forum. We buy their products and they help us when they can.:thumb::thumb:

Sixrox

Thanks! Hope this does fix it. The new ECU from the dealer was going to take 3 days, so hopefully it arrives today and tomorrow to test it. Luckily mine was done under warranty.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Thanks for posting. It's a tough group but not everyone thinks you're here to company bash...at least it doesn't read that way to me. I've been waiting to see how one of these works in real world situations. So many here have stated bad experiences with aftermarket SC systems on their JK's and state that they don't do well off-road. At the same time there doesn't seem to be the "perfect" v8 swap out there yet. If this system addresses all the tuning and cooling issues, this may be a fantastic low cost solution.

Sixrox

So the good and the bad...

Last Friday replaced TCM, Jeep still would not tune. Tuesday we had the dealer replace the ECM. We were then able to tune the jeep! SUCCESS!... Or so we thought. Start the jeep, it sounds good. We verify the coolant levels and they take it outside and start to run it down the street. Limp mode kicks in... Ah need to change the gearing to 4.88, go into SCT Tuner and we can't find out how to do it. We then realize you can't do it through SCT. So the dilemma, was how to change the gearing and remove TPMS without affecting the SCT tune. Given the experience with Superchip we opt for the AEV Procal to see what happens. Get the AEV Procal today. We set the gearing ratio and SUCCESS! We are now running, and it runs nice. Minus a few cosmetic items we need to correct everything seems to be working.

So in summary, several things have to be answered by Edelbrock and SCT. The fact we had to replace the ECM on the jeep since the SCT 'Gate Keeper' cannot be forced to bypass what SCT says the superchips did to the 'boot logger' or so they claim is potentially a huge expense. Add on top of that an AEV Procal to do the final set of adjustments seems like a waste of money. The SCT Tuner should do everything (which they said would in a future release) but who knows. I chalk these up to what seems to be one of the first consumer Edelbrocks being installed and both Edelbrock and SCT not 100% ready for what may come up.

This was just my experience with it. I would like to hear others as well.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
So the good and the bad...

Last Friday replaced TCM, Jeep still would not tune. Tuesday we had the dealer replace the ECM. We were then able to tune the jeep! SUCCESS!... Or so we thought. Start the jeep, it sounds good. We verify the coolant levels and they take it outside and start to run it down the street. Limp mode kicks in... Ah need to change the gearing to 4.88, go into SCT Tuner and we can't find out how to do it. We then realize you can't do it through SCT. So the dilemma, was how to change the gearing and remove TPMS without affecting the SCT tune. Given the experience with Superchip we opt for the AEV Procal to see what happens. Get the AEV Procal today. We set the gearing ratio and SUCCESS! We are now running, and it runs nice. Minus a few cosmetic items we need to correct everything seems to be working.

So in summary, several things have to be answered by Edelbrock and SCT. The fact we had to replace the ECM on the jeep since the SCT 'Gate Keeper' cannot be forced to bypass what SCT says the superchips did to the 'boot logger' or so they claim is potentially a huge expense. Add on top of that an AEV Procal to do the final set of adjustments seems like a waste of money. The SCT Tuner should do everything (which they said would in a future release) but who knows. I chalk these up to what seems to be one of the first consumer Edelbrocks being installed and both Edelbrock and SCT not 100% ready for what may come up.

This was just my experience with it. I would like to hear others as well.

You forgot to tell us how it drives! Seat of the pants dyno? Whole different car? A little faster, a LOT faster? so-so? Any hiccups? Stumbling? Strange idle? Shifting issues?

Sixrox

Due to the radiator fan issue we haven't driven it but around the block. I will update everyone on that soon!

Suprchrgd_rubi

So here is the info on the quiet prototype. :)
I changed hats from Rancho Matt to DynoMax Matt. :brows:

What we do is use the same pipe that comes off the "rock crawler" system but do a 180 degree rotation on it and put the hanger in the appropriate place depending on engine (3.8 or 3.6). We then run it into our Ultra Flo Welded center/offset 2.5" muffler. Now this muffler may or may not change if this ever goes into production. Just a heads up on that. It then goes in to one of our 16.5" ( I think) Race Bullets. This is next to/near the EVAP. It is smaller to prevent any issues with it. Lastly it exits over the rear axle and dumps out the back. Now after doing only 2/3's of a trail last week in Moab (GRRR!!!!!!) and not a hard one, Gold Bar Rim. I noticed that I dented my exhaust exit a tad. To me not a big deal, I like to cut it back a foot or so anyways. Hope this helps.

Do you have any pictures of it?

Looking from the front to the back.
You can see where we stack the Ultra Flo Polished in the front and the Race Bullet to the back.
It also looks like it still has the plastic wrap on it. :icon_crazy: Remove that. :brows:

There is also a guy on here that did something similar using our Super Turbo muffler (quieter than the UFW) and another round style muffler. If I remember correctly he was from the Las Vegas area.

DynoMax_crawler_2012_zpsdrverk6v.jpg

Do you have any pictures of it?

Top Bottom