WARNING: Edelbrock Super Charger

Sixrox

We have been running one for the last month or so, no issues FYI. I also don't think we have any tunes on our 2012 JKU besides a ProCal.
Good luck.

IMG_2452_zps5nzksbvu.jpg

Could you confirm if there were any tunes on it? As of now, it looks like changing the ECU is the next step.

Batman

First I will use this post to keep others up-to-date on the current situation. Should the issue become resolved, I will post a new review of the Edelbrock Super Charger. If not I will leave this warning for others to see. My goal is that if others are encountering a similar issue and fixed it, please let us know what you did. Or it prompts a discussion of ideas to correct to this.

Thursday night we placed the 2014 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited on the Dyno with Superchips tuning removed. The jeep has 4.88 gearing, 35" tires, and the AFE Momentum intake. Dyno recorded 203HP and 185 Torque.

The SuperCharger arrived on Friday morning (4.3.2015). By 2pm the Supercharger was installed and ready to be tuned (Tuner was updated). We attempted to load the SCT Tune with the file Provided. Error 110C5 occurred, which indicated that the SCT Tuner still could see the Superchips Tune applied. We spent Friday afternoon and Saturday morning attempting to remove the Superchips Tune. We could not get past error 110C5. Saturday afternoon we had the ECU Flashed by the dealer, and attempted to tune again. Now we received error 110AF. Research indicated that this was a common error on SCT Tuners and Fords due to a firmware issue. At this point we were stuck.

Monday we attempted contacting SCT when they opened, and after nearly 4 hours of trying to reach them, we finally got a hold of them. We explained the issue and they had us attempt to tune it again. After several attempts they had it escalated to their 'engineers'. The engineers responded indicated that we needed to flash the TCU as well, not just the ECU. We got the dealer back over and have now flashed every computer system in the Jeep. Error 110AF still comes up and the tuner will not apply the tune. We received no response the rest of the day from SCT after hourly phone call follow ups.

Tuesday we reached back out to SCT first thing in the morning. They asked us to send them the file of the stock tune. They reviewed the stock tune and said that the 'Boot Logger' still sees something in regards to the SuperChips tuner which will not allow it to apply the tune. They said they have what they call a 'Gate Keeper' that if it sees a tune it will not allow a new tune to apply. The recommended we use a 'different' tuner to apply a file specifically for the SCT Tuner (Impossible or hire someone to custom tune it) or have the ECU replaced by the dealer. Now my issue here is that a jeep with a SuperCharger installed is not going to get the ECU replaced for free by the dealer. Furthermore that's the response?

We have also engaged Edelbrock who indicated that SCT is who we need to talk to. They said they would also reach out, but currently the Jeep is a Brick. I have also reached out to the management team at SCT who have not contacted me back yet.

Currently I recommend anyone who has applied any sort of tune to your Jeep, wait until the issues are resolved before purchasing.

Any help or ideas anyone has, please post here so we can see and update everyone on the progress.

View attachment 136017 View attachment 136018

Wow this sux thanks for sharing.. I been using the diablo trinity on my 13 and love its solid and stable tunes find someone with an unmarried trinity and just load a tune then unload it .. It re-sets the PCM at the end might work

Rancho

Caught the Bug
He loves it!!
Everyone who drove it was impressed by it.
He is an older dude, so he drove in my JKU (2103) and liked my exhaust setup ( We are also DynoMax and I run a custom/hopefully soon to market quiet crawler system) so that was his only "complaint".
We did lose a little in the MPG's because there was a lot of mashing of the pedal.

Let's hear what he thinks of the performance gains from it too please.

He loves it!!
He is an older dude, so he drove in my JKU (2103) and liked my exhaust setup ( We are also DynoMax and I run a custom/hopefully soon to market quiet crawler system) so that was his only "complaint".
We did lose a little in the MPG's because there was a lot of mashing of the pedal.

You have a 2103 JKU.... I knew you guys get rigs early but man! On the plus side. I'm glad the JK will still be kicking in 90 years. LOL
Sorry, I'm ornery today ;)

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Ha! It's part of the SkyNet/Jeep/Tenneco agreement we have.
:beer:

You have a 2103 JKU.... I knew you guys get rigs early but man! On the plus side. I'm glad the JK will still be kicking in 90 years. LOL
Sorry, I'm ornery today ;)

OJK12

He loves it!!

A quite crawler system?! Ohhhh, sign me up!! I've been wanting one of those but it's too loud for my taste, please keep us informed!!

Rancho

Caught the Bug
Hey Matt,
The supercharger kit came with a hand held tuner to load their calibration into the Jeep. I hope this answers your question.

Thanks!

Could you confirm if there were any tunes on it? As of now, it looks like changing the ECU is the next step.

Hopefully.... I have had a lot of requests for it and we have it on a 4 door 2007-11 and my 2012 4 door. We have a handful of other systems that are a priority now though. :doh:

A quite crawler system?! Ohhhh, sign me up!! I've been wanting one of those but it's too loud for my taste, please keep us informed!!

sjd78

He loves it!!

Thanks for the reply! Sign me up for a quiet crawler exhaust too!

So here is the info on the quiet prototype. :)
I changed hats from Rancho Matt to DynoMax Matt. :brows:

What we do is use the same pipe that comes off the "rock crawler" system but do a 180 degree rotation on it and put the hanger in the appropriate place depending on engine (3.8 or 3.6). We then run it into our Ultra Flo Welded center/offset 2.5" muffler. Now this muffler may or may not change if this ever goes into production. Just a heads up on that. It then goes in to one of our 16.5" ( I think) Race Bullets. This is next to/near the EVAP. It is smaller to prevent any issues with it. Lastly it exits over the rear axle and dumps out the back. Now after doing only 2/3's of a trail last week in Moab (GRRR!!!!!!) and not a hard one, Gold Bar Rim. I noticed that I dented my exhaust exit a tad. To me not a big deal, I like to cut it back a foot or so anyways. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! Sign me up for a quiet crawler exhaust too!

CRZRTX, I actually heard the Slabs don't fit. I ordered them before knowing that, as well as having them powder coated. So I am kind of stuck with them. I have a 1.5" spacer coming to at least hopefully mount them while I look for different wheels. I heard the Chamber Pro II work. Already have the tires as well, so kind of stuck at 17s unless I replace those as well.

Bobby here....

USMCvet

Banned
There's not much love for Metalcloak here. I don't have many miles on my lift so time will tell but so far it's been good.

I have a Metalcloak Fox edition and love it. No bashing here. I have there chromoly tie rod too, still no issues thus far. It is a new install but I've beat the heck out of it a few times and so far so good. IMO it's like anything, everything is susceptible to breaking. Metalcloak also has a discount for military and veterans.

Top Bottom