What is this Manual Transmission noise?

billybob990

Just thought I would post this here for the record. Here's a short clip we filmed before taking our Jeep to the dealership. This is what we're hearing only, it's gotten a lot worse...

That's scary.... It doesn't make sense, if it only does it in a forward gear and when it has a mild load and they replaced the transmission ( didn't they? Lol) crazy question, did they check the t-case? It's like it has a tooth on a gear that is higher than the rest, granite that would be next to impossible to happen. Can you feel it in the shitter?

BlackKnight

At this point I'd start checking everything in the chain. Trans, T-Case, D-Shafts, Joints. Maybe the D-Shaft is slightly off balance from a hit. else a joint?

Philip *AZ*

Banned
Billy, you and I were thinkin the same. Sounds just like Eddies trans. Thats BS! I think both Jeeps should get new replacement transmissions. The dealer is going to fight that problem tooth and nail!

If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

billybob990

Billy, you and I were thinkin the same. Sounds just like Eddies trans. Thats BS! I think both Jeeps should get new replacement transmissions. The dealer is going to fight that problem tooth and nail!

Edit, it does make sense if it doesn't do it in reverse now that I think about it, because the gear spins the opposite way so if there is a broken tooth then the gear would have pressure on the opposite side of the broken gear which would make it quit clanking
If you can't walk my beat unarmed, maybe you should consider becoming a police officer.

It's crazy, I mean you pay $35,000 for a jeep, granite they are ran hard but it should hold up and if it doesn't then it should be a no brainer to fix it with no issues. Customer service is just shit anymore, no matter what company you deal with. I would put my money on the t-case. It probably broke a tooth and that tooth is lodged into another one, making it clank.

Last edited:

JethroJK

That's scary.... It doesn't make sense, if it only does it in a forward gear and when it has a mild load and they replaced the transmission ( didn't they? Lol) crazy question, did they check the t-case? It's like it has a tooth on a gear that is higher than the rest, granite that would be next to impossible to happen. Can you feel it in the shitter?

They did not replace his transmission. Kept it for 2 months and basically did nothing. Eddie correct me if I am wrong.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They did not replace his transmission. Kept it for 2 months and basically did nothing. Eddie correct me if I am wrong.

I can't say for sure what was actually done as I wasn't there to watch the process but, what I was told is that they swapped in my old transmission and the sound was still there, they then cannibalized parts from the old transmission and rebuilt the new one with parts from the old and still had the same noise. Of course, I now cannot shift into 1st unless I'm at a stop and cannot shift into 2nd unless my tach is under 1000 rpm's and oh, did I mention the noise is still there and louder than ever. :rolleyes2: I should note that they also took apart my ProRock 60 front axles which have locking hubs and would not spin unless locked just to see if maybe my CTM u-joints were the cause of the noise :rolleyes2: Over 2 months and $1300, they finally said that it was my rear axle. :rolleyes2:

Having gone to Dynatrac, the rear end has been ruled out. Having gone to Off Road Evolution, the transfer case has been ruled out. The only place the sound could be coming from IS THE TRANSMISSION or, in that general area. :sigh:

JethroJK

I can't say for sure what was actually done as I wasn't there to watch the process but, what I was told is that they swapped in my old transmission and the sound was still there, they then cannibalized parts from the old transmission and rebuilt the new one with parts from the old and still had the same noise. Of course, I now cannot shift into 1st unless I'm at a stop and cannot shift into 2nd unless my tach is under 1000 rpm's and oh, did I mention the noise is still there and louder than ever. :rolleyes2: I should note that they also took apart my ProRock 60 front axles which have locking hubs and would not spin unless locked just to see if maybe my CTM u-joints were the cause of the noise :rolleyes2: Over 2 months and $1300, they finally said that it was my rear axle. :rolleyes2:

Having gone to Dynatrac, the rear end has been ruled out. Having gone to Off Road Evolution, the transfer case has been ruled out. The only place the sound could be coming from IS THE TRANSMISSION or, in that general area. :sigh:

I have to give you props because your patience level is beyond anything I have in me. At this point I would have went nuclear on someone. Jeep needs to correct all the issues they caused while Moby was at the dealership, my opinion of course. Wishing you the best and a good final result, whatever that is.

0311DoC

So I see no fix was ever found? I have a 2016 JKUR and I have been experiencing this noise for almost a month now. My JK just hit 5200 miles. Very frustrated!!

egralia

My 2016 clutch replaced at 3.5k miles and now it's sitting at the dealer at 4K miles waiting for a new manual transmission. Had a loud whinny noise while shifting.

davantalus

So I see no fix was ever found? I have a 2016 JKUR and I have been experiencing this noise for almost a month now. My JK just hit 5200 miles. Very frustrated!!

(I didn't dig through the previous pages, but...) Check the plastic trim piece on the bottom of the shift knob. Mine was loose and making this exact noise?

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Damn I think I have the same thing or something similar. 2016 JKU w/ 15k miles. Clutch replaced twice under warranty already. Both times were before the lift/tires so I doubt they’ll warranty anything anyway. I heard this sound very faintly starting last week or so. I just picked it up yesterday after getting re-geared and now it’s very loud. When it’s hot, it can be heard (can almost swear I feel it in the shifter) in all gears except first. I even popped it in neutral on the highway at 55mph and it was still there. Here’s a short clip of shifting into third. It’s the only video I have right now but plan to get more later when the kids aren’t around. Any thoughts or ideas? Could it be the new gears? Poor installation? Clutch going out again? Bad trans?

https://youtu.be/rnYFXV9zmGs

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mando

(I didn't dig through the previous pages, but...) Check the plastic trim piece on the bottom of the shift knob. Mine was loose and making this exact noise?

I had the same issue, and the knob was broken and rattling exactly like the one in the video. Removed the knob (though was already falling) and applied some silicone as I thought it could do some dampening at the same time as gluing the thing. It's nice a quite now!

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Anyone try Mobil Delvac 50 Weight Gear Lube to quiet rattle down?

I have a 2011 Rube 6 spd manny and get a rattle in first and reverse but only in cold weather...

Have a Ram too... Auto but coworker has G56 in his and he switched to Mobil Delvac 50 Weight Gear Lube and quiet now...

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4th-gen-powertrain/2221857-noisy-g56-stays-noisy.html

A rattle in first and reverse can literally be anything in the bell housing. Can be throw out bearing, pilot bearing, clutch chatter, worn out input shaft retainer... list goes on. If it has to do with the clutch, no trans fluid is gonna fix it. If something’s making noise, that means it’s telling you something. Making it be quiet is like shoving a rag in someone’s mouth as you cut off a finger.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Top Bottom