What is this Manual Transmission noise?

my_jk

I have a very similar sound coming from my 2012 Jk, but it will do it for a couple of day then stop and star up again it happen mostly in 2nd and 3rd. :thinking:

Con Artist

I get that same sound in my 2012 right around 2,000-3,000 RPM and normally third gear. It's not as loud as what I'm hearing in the videos, though. If I grab the shifter and hold it still and/or depress the clutch the sound goes away. :grayno:

NOPULP13

*update** just got back from the dealer at first they said they couldnt hear it i told them it happens when trans warms up i took my jeep onto the highway to a u turn and came back left it running had the tech jump in he said he couldnt hear it i told him hit the clutch and release it made the noise he said i dont here much then i told him hold the clutch half way and it made the noise alittle bit louder then he said ok i hear it he told me its one of several bearings he doesnt think its throw out he says it could be the input bearing or another they have to order parts told me to come back on the 18th and they will give me a loaner.. i scored a free jeep gas fuel door and a set of wheel locks but the wheel locks look like they arent for a jeep they stick out alil far does anyone else have these?

Skid_Kid

Good luck to you. I tried pricing out a rebuilt tranny and that would set me back $3150. I pushed to get an idea of what could be wrong and they said they wouldn't know for sure until they took it apart but assumed it might have something to do with the shift arm. I asked how much I might be looking at parts for the worst case scenario and they said about $500. So, it looks like I could be out as much as $1775 and who knows for sure if it'll actually get fixed.

What is the scoop with Moby? Any word?

JethroJK

*update** just got back from the dealer at first they said they couldnt hear it i told them it happens when trans warms up i took my jeep onto the highway to a u turn and came back left it running had the tech jump in he said he couldnt hear it i told him hit the clutch and release it made the noise he said i dont here much then i told him hold the clutch half way and it made the noise alittle bit louder then he said ok i hear it he told me its one of several bearings he doesnt think its throw out he says it could be the input bearing or another they have to order parts told me to come back on the 18th and they will give me a loaner.. i scored a free jeep gas fuel door and a set of wheel locks but the wheel locks look like they arent for a jeep they stick out alil far does anyone else have these?

I would like to know your final outcome once you get your Jeep back. Yes the dealer wheel locks stick out farther than the lug nuts.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, here's my update. After talking to the dealership, they convinced me to bring in my old transmission which I still had and let me know they could perform the TSB on it and get it installed for about $1600. Being that I had no warranty on the new 2011 tranny, this was the much more affordable route to go. Needless to say, I still don't know what is wrong with it but, it looks like I should be up and running again soon. The worst part for me is, after all is said and done and all the money I've spent, I could have been well on my way to an LS3 conversion :naw:

Johnnyvee

Same issue

Have the same issue on me 2012 Rubi...more of a vibration usually when under load. I started noticing it after the first couple times I went to 4WD and back to 2WD. When I push the 4WD shifter lever forward the chattering and vibration stops, almost like the shifter isn't forward all the way. I don't think it's mechanical but it is annoying at times. Plan to have them note it on the next service visit.

JethroJK

Have the same issue on me 2012 Rubi...more of a vibration usually when under load. I started noticing it after the first couple times I went to 4WD and back to 2WD. When I push the 4WD shifter lever forward the chattering and vibration stops, almost like the shifter isn't forward all the way. I don't think it's mechanical but it is annoying at times. Plan to have them note it on the next service visit.

Good call getting it in and having them document the problem. My problem actually would go away after going to 4WD and then back to 2WD. Keep us posted. Hope yours gets fixed.

JethroJK

Okay, here's my update. After talking to the dealership, they convinced me to bring in my old transmission which I still had and let me know they could perform the TSB on it and get it installed for about $1600. Being that I had no warranty on the new 2011 tranny, this was the much more affordable route to go. Needless to say, I still don't know what is wrong with it but, it looks like I should be up and running again soon. The worst part for me is, after all is said and done and all the money I've spent, I could have been well on my way to an LS3 conversion :naw:

That is awesome. Always good to have the spare parts laying around. When you bought the 2011, there was no warranty or anything? Did you buy it from Chrysler? In any case glad to hear Moby is almost out of the hospital. 👍

Trail JK

That is insane. Btw what is a LS3 conversion? Cost?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it's a 6.2L GM motor and it costs a lot to do, maybe $20k. For now, we're just kicking around the idea and dreaming.

HGJKRubi

as much as i hate posting links to this site i think this might help:doh::grayno:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/2012-wrangler-noise-vibration-diy-fix-found-133387.html

Interesting find...

Just dropped mine off at the shop this morning to diagnose the noise. Took the tech for a spin to demonstrate the noise...sounded just like the video in the original post. Tech pressed against the transfer case shifter while the noise was occurring and it seems to quiet it. So it looks like that's where he'll start his diagnosis... he mentioned there was a TSB for the t-case shifter. Not convinced of the tube rattle either behind the glovebox. we'll see...

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, the noise we're hearing is definitely NOT coming from tubes making contact. It's definitely in the transmission as I'm sure is the case with most veryone else here.

HGJKRubi

Interesting find...

Just dropped mine off at the shop this morning to diagnose the noise. Took the tech for a spin to demonstrate the noise...sounded just like the video in the original post. Tech pressed against the transfer case shifter while the noise was occurring and it seems to quiet it. So it looks like that's where he'll start his diagnosis... he mentioned there was a TSB for the t-case shifter. Not convinced of the tube rattle either behind the glovebox. we'll see...

As stated... my '13 Rubi was in the shop for this exact noise today. Dealer has concluded it's the t-case shifter making the noise and is ordering a new one...part #52060062AG. We'll see if this does it... :sigh:

Top Bottom