What is this Manual Transmission noise?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have about 15,000 miles on my new 2011 transmission and over the weekend, it went from what your sound clips sound like to a lot worse. I'll have to try and get a clip made of what it sounds like now. Sucks that I got this to fix the problems I was having with my 07 tranny and now have this. :rolleyes2:

JethroJK

What is this noise?

I have about 15,000 miles on my new 2011 transmission and over the weekend, it went from what your sound clips sound like to a lot worse. I'll have to try and get a clip made of what it sounds like now. Sucks that I got this to fix the problems I was having with my 07 tranny and now have this. :rolleyes2:

From my earlier visits to the dealer, they did say that there are some 2011-2012 transmissions that have a recall but mine was not in that batch. You might check that, sorry to hear your having problems. I will post the results of the next visit. Just want this fix, especially before I drive out to San Diego in June, don't want it to break down in the middle of no where.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From my earlier visits to the dealer, they did say that there are some 2011-2012 transmissions that have a recall but mine was not in that batch. You might check that, sorry to hear your having problems. I will post the results of the next visit. Just want this fix, especially before I drive out to San Diego in June, don't want it to break down in the middle of no where.

Thanks for the heads up on the recall. Unfortunately, I bougt my transmission used. Needless to say, I'm sure I'll have to fork over more cash just to get it looked at. :rolleyes2:

Good luck to you and in getting yours fixed.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Any more info on that? Mine clunks a little but different from what was posted. I doubt mine is the same recall but just curious.

JethroJK

What is this noise?

Any more info on that? Mine clunks a little but different from what was posted. I doubt mine is the same recall but just curious.

The only recall info is basically what I have already said, they mention specific transmissions on 2011-2012 manual transmission had some issues. Not sure about automatics. I have an appt this Wednesday so I will post more when I get done.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The only recall info is basically what I have already said, they mention specific transmissions on 2011-2012 manual transmission had some issues. Not sure about automatics. I have an appt this Wednesday so I will post more when I get done.

I'll look into it. I have a manual '12.

Jchet729

Still haven't heard back from my friend the service writer yet, but like I said before mines a '12 and it's quiet during operation, load and deceleration, aside from a slight whine the only thing I notice is during shifting but it's nothing that seems to be alarming

JethroJK

What is this noise?

Still haven't heard back from my friend the service writer yet, but like I said before mines a '12 and it's quiet during operation, load and deceleration, aside from a slight whine the only thing I notice is during shifting but it's nothing that seems to be alarming

No problem, let me know if you hear from him. Tomorrow is the big day, we will see what the other dealership says. Thanks for the info. I might just use it tomorrow. I am also going to check if they have a manual on the lot and compare if they say nothing is wrong.

JethroJK

What is this noise?

Ok, so I took to dealer this morning. They admitted the noise is abnormal and the tranny guy is OCD so I may never get my Jeep back. Lol. Update to come later after I get it back.

JethroJK

What is this noise?

UPDATE

So they are keeping Jethro overnight. They started ripping into him because tech bulletins and diagnostics showed nothing. They mentioned an alignment problem (don't know specifics) but narrowed it down to mechanical. So we will see tomorrow what if anything they find. I am guessing bearing... We will see...

JethroJK

What is this noise?

So called dealership and the prognosis is there wasn't nothing found other than a "star case" that recommended some parts replaced on shifter. Additionally I was told that the sound would be reduced but would still be there. Normal corporate crap. So I requested if I could drive a manual they had on the lot so we could compare the sound. They are looking into it and I should have a jeep to pick up in about an hour. More to come...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So called dealership and the prognosis is there wasn't nothing found other than a "star case" that recommended some parts replaced on shifter. Additionally I was told that the sound would be reduced but would still be there. Normal corporate crap. So I requested if I could drive a manual they had on the lot so we could compare the sound. They are looking into it and I should have a jeep to pick up in about an hour. More to come...

Well that's disappointing to hear. I still need to try and get a sound clip of what ours sounds like. With 15,000 miles on it now, it literally sounds like somethings gonna blow.

Rock-itman

Well that's disappointing to hear. I still need to try and get a sound clip of what ours sounds like. With 15,000 miles on it now, it literally sounds like somethings gonna blow.

Is this only w/ the manual ? Reason i ask is could it be a throw-out bearing issue or clutch not fully extending /releasing ? In all gears ? Hope to hear what the final outcome is also ,i have numerous friends w/ alot of the same obscure noises !!! Goodluck , Keep us posted & thanx again

DasBuxxx

I have audio/video clips of what the header problem sounds like on the early 2012 if either of you would like it for a reference. That was an experience. Engineering made them do the lifters first. So after doing the lifters, pulled it out of the service bay, I recorded another short clip, and pulled it right back in for the header :icon_crazy:

Just let me know and I can post it to youtube and put up a link

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this only w/ the manual ? Reason i ask is could it be a throw-out bearing issue or clutch not fully extending /releasing ? In all gears ? Hope to hear what the final outcome is also ,i have numerous friends w/ alot of the same obscure noises !!! Goodluck , Keep us posted & thanx again

Yes, this is only with the manual. I've had throwout bearings go bad before and what I'm hearing is not that. Never had this sound with my old 2007 tranny, just this new 2011. It actually reminded me of my old NV3500 that I used to have in my TJ - the marbles in a tincan sound. But, it's gotten a lot worse. More like a hard chatter now that I can practically feel.

I have audio/video clips of what the header problem sounds like on the early 2012 if either of you would like it for a reference. That was an experience. Engineering made them do the lifters first. So after doing the lifters, pulled it out of the service bay, I recorded another short clip, and pulled it right back in for the header :icon_crazy:

Just let me know and I can post it to youtube and put up a link

I've had that issue and had it fixed on my 2012 but, thanks. This issue is on my 07 with an 11 tranny.

rinkishjk

Re: What is this noise?

Eddie have u tried a different fluid in the trans? I switched mine to amsoil syncromesh fluid a long time back and it quieted my tranny and the shifts feel smoother... just a thought.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie have u tried a different fluid in the trans? I switched mine to amsoil syncromesh fluid a long time back and it quieted my tranny and the shifts feel smoother... just a thought.

I have not but, it is on my to try list. I hadn't only because it was making this noise from day one, back when it only had 50 miles on it - basically, right off a brand new 2011 JK.

rinkishjk

Re: What is this noise?

I have not but, it is on my to try list. I hadn't only because it was making this noise from day one, back when it only had 50 miles on it - basically, right off a brand new 2011 JK.

Ok. I would try the amsoil as its the same color as factory fluid. If u use rp its obviously gonna be purple.
Pennzoil also makes one.
Either way it doesnt sound like a normal noise.

Top Bottom