What is this Manual Transmission noise?

Jchet729

I've been planning on changing mine over to something like the syncromesh as well after I get a few miles on it, still under 10k, but I'm just planning on doing it for GP, you say it did smooth the shifts out though? that's good as I notice just a little catch during shifts sometimes

rinkishjk

Re: What is this noise?

I've been planning on changing mine over to something like the syncromesh as well after I get a few miles on it, still under 10k, but I'm just planning on doing it for GP, you say it did smooth the shifts out though? that's good as I notice just a little catch during shifts sometimes

Yes I definitely noticed a smoother shift with a better fluid. I ran the rp and I like the amsoil better.

JethroJK

This is now officially a "Saga"

I know many of you have an interest on what the outcome of this is so here is the latest.

I went to pick up Jethro from the dealer. Before going out on a test drive I did ask a few questions. First was did you find anything wrong with the transmission? Answer: no. But they decided to refer to what the call STAR case. If you do not know what that is, it is basically a data base of cases that other dealerships have had and release to other dealerships to fix potential similar problems. This is where STAR case S1221000001 comes into play. Symptom/Vehicle issue: Transmission rattle in Third or Fourth Gear.

This STAR case basically has them remove the shifter knob and replace with a new shifter knob. :thinking: What does the knob alone have to do with a rattle in 3rd or 4th? I have no clue. They do not replace the shift lever, just the knob. :doh:

So then I ask them did they check the transfer case? Answer: No. This is because I had informed them that when in 4-Hi it does not make noise and when shifted back to 2 wheel drive, no noise for a period of time. Why they didn't, they had no answer. :thinking:

This then leads to them providing me the invoice and under the remarks section they say in the end of the explanation of repairs "operating as designed". Ok lets go for a drive...

During the test drive I immediately noticed a new noise :clap2: which I ask the technician where did that come from? His answer: Must have been because of the knob replacement. :thinking: I thought that was suppose to fix the problem?

We continue driving, in which the original noise I took it in for was still there, strong as ever. Back to the dealership we go. :yup:

Once we returned the technician basically admits that the problem was not fix and in attempting to repair it, they created a new noise. Now understand, that they supposedly test drove this before I got there. On the invoice it states "road tested. note: shifter rattle, gear whine are a normal condition in the nsg370 transmission (Mercedes Benz makes this). :doh:

So where are we now? Well they basically went back to the drawing board and admitted that they did not to fix the problem and basically caused another problem. The videos that I have in the forum were emailed to Chrysler as well as a new Repair Order to determine if there are other cases that they know about that could potentially fix the problem. For your on info: the technician informed me on the test drive that around 2009 Jeep changed over to the nsg370 transmission and he constantly gets people into the dealership complaining about "abnormal noise" from this transmission. He did admit also though that he seldom sees transmission failures just complaints about noise.

One last thing to note was after I got home and read the STAR case for the shifter knob completely, it directs them that if the knob replacement does not clear the rattles that service to the transmission is needed on the 3rd and 4th gear synchronizers. I am going to ask about this tomorrow when I talk to them and question why the did not complete the troubleshooting and just stopped at knob replacement.

They are going to get back in contact with me when Chrysler returns an answer and more to follow on the Saga...:rock:

Jchet729

Yes I definitely noticed a smoother shift with a better fluid. I ran the rp and I like the amsoil better.

cool thanks for your input, I know both are quality oils. If I remember correctly my firehawk has the amsoil in it too currently

Jchet729

I know many of you have an interest on what the outcome of this is so here is the latest.

One last thing to note was after I got home and read the STAR case for the shifter knob completely, it directs them that if the knob replacement does not clear the rattles that service to the transmission is needed on the 3rd and 4th gear synchronizers. I am going to ask about this tomorrow when I talk to them and question why the did not complete the troubleshooting and just stopped at knob replacement.:

You should print this out and highlight it and have in your back pocket....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for posting up the update and I'm glad that you mentioned your sound goes away when in 4WD. I have noticed this as well.

My transmission is so loud now that it overpowers my 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers on the highway - really, it's that bad. I plan on taking my Jeep in to the dealership today or Monday. Unfortunately, this one will come completely out my pocket :grayno:

JethroJK

Thank you for posting up the update and I'm glad that you mentioned your sound goes away when in 4WD. I have noticed this as well.

My transmission is so loud now that it overpowers my 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers on the highway - really, it's that bad. I plan on taking my Jeep in to the dealership today or Monday. Unfortunately, this one will come completely out my pocket :grayno:

No problem. I will update again when I get more information. Good luck with the dealership.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
Not Moby,:eek: I have to take my jeep in also having some issues with rattling and my driver seat Will not lock in to place, just a couple of issues there are s few more.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

JethroJK

The only update on Jethro is the noise has now moved into 5th and 6th gears. So now every gear except 1st. Also the dealership expects a response by Tuesday and we should be back at the saga by then. More to come...

mtnbiker995

I was having this same problem with the noise in my Jk for roughly the last 20-25,000 miles. Then today all of a sudden, either my transmission or transfer case felt like it bound up real hard a released making my jeep lurch on the take off. But for some unknown reason after it did that, my jeep is back to the way it used to sound; no rattle or chattering noise. Hopefully it's not foreshadowing something about to break in the near future...knock on wood

mtnbiker995

Every word of this smells like trouble

Sent from my PG86100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I was afraid someone was going to say that...I think I'm going to keep running with it until I start to notice anything else go wrong. I plan on changing my tranny and t-case fluid this weekend so I'll pay extra attention for any debris in the old fluid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I heard back from the dealership today and they said it would cost $1275 plus parts... and that's it. I responded by asking them if they knew what the problem was and if that $1275 would include fixing it. Waiting for a response.

Skid_Kid

Well, I heard back from the dealership today and they said it would cost $1275 plus parts... and that's it. I responded by asking them if they knew what the problem was and if that $1275 would include fixing it. Waiting for a response.

What the $1275 for and what parts are needed? Will Moby be ready to take to KOH?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom