What's in your Jeep tool kit?

JeepFan

Hooked
Yeah during my break I couldn't have asked for a better group of people with a larger variety of tools. It was awesome! BTW whats with the tread depth gauge?..haha

Lol!!! A tread depth gauge is great for when... I got nothing

I'm surprised you didn't ask about my protractor. I believe trail repairs must be done with precision.

jesse3638

Hooked
Lol!!! A tread depth gauge is great for when... I got nothing

I'm surprised you didn't ask about my protractor. I believe trail repairs must be done with precision.

I didn't even see that but if I had I figured it a way to navigate without a GPS using the stars and map..;)

Mtb275

Looks like I'm covered for 3/8" and 1/2" drive sockets extensions and ratchets. These standard and metric sizes pretty much cover my Jeep drive line and suspension. I was able to eliminate about 10 lbs of sockets by removing duplicates.

View attachment 221347

Has anyone ever came across a list of all the different sizes of sockets that are needed for a JK?

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
That's like apocalypse proof. Can't believe you can fit all of that.i

Honestly, it fits fairly easily. This all stays in the jeep all the time.

Holy mother of tool kits!!! Your setup us amazing. Where do your passengers sit? Lol

Very nice!! :thumbup:

I've always wondered how you fit 3 people in yours with enough spare parts to build a second jeep.

JAGS

Hooked
I only wheel with JeepFan, so I'm good..right?!?!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

In all seriousness, I should really do a cross reference. While I'm not the most seasoned wrencher, I do feel it important to carry tools with you to work on your own jeep. I've got a decent stash of tools that hopefully will help if in a bind.

Need to look at stored fluids though. Extremely deficient in that area.

View attachment 221406

Ok, here's what I have in the ammo cans...

4qts Anti Freeze
2qts 80-90 gear oil
3qts Atf+4
1 qt engine oil
1 qt power steering fluid
1 can brake clean
1 bottle of brake fluid
1 tube of rtv rated for atf or diff fluid
Brake cleaner
WD40
Loctite
Lithium grease
Funnels
Atf pump
Razor blades.

Spare parts...
Front axles
1 unit bearing w/speed sensor harness
Bypass kit for heater core
Upper and lower radiator hoses
Drive shaft u-joints
Drive shafts yokes
Ball joints. No press tool though. Lol
A wide array of nuts and bolts for suspension, exhaust flanges and misc nuts bolts and washers.

I also carry PS high pressure hose for the PSC ram assist., Fittings and plugs in case the ram needs to be removed.

Various sizes of hose clamps, cable ties and wire are always on hand.

What else...

Gorilla and plumbers tape.

Engine drive belt.

Fuses

Valve stems

Brake light/turn signal bulbs

Extra U bolts for the drive shafts

I know I'm missing some items but that's about it

Awesome list!!!! I've got almost all of that too. I've started carrying some steel ( I saw a piece in your photos). I would love a wire feed like Eddie has, but I do have a set of jumper cables, goggles, gloves, some rod and extra cables to hook up two or three batteries. I know you carry extra pinion nuts too. I need the extra radiator hoses.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This is a impressive set up but I'm curious to what guys with 2 door JKs do. There's no way a 2 door guy can carry all this and keep the back seat for passengers. I basically carry the essentials like a recovery kit, tow straps, shovel, and some tools. That's about all that will fit. I hope some 2 door people chime in.

You can fit all the tools need in the rear with the seat but no way you can fit camping gear. Without the seat I can fit all my tools and enough camping supplies for probably 5-7 days for two people. Just need to pack it up properly.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
To be fair though, Overlander buys everything he needs to eat and drink for a week at am/pm while he gasses up for the trip.

Big Bad Wolf

When I put the Jeep back together I will make a detailed tool list and post it here. Of course we all have different mods but we can all tweak our own list.

I was surprised to see how few tools it took, one could definitely save some weight by being selective.

20160821_155545.jpg

Great thread !

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
You can fit all the tools need in the rear with the seat but no way you can fit camping gear. Without the seat I can fit all my tools and enough camping supplies for probably 5-7 days for two people. Just need to pack it up properly.

With the back seat out, I agree, you can fit a ton more stuff. With the seat in, forget about it. Day trip is it, because all you can fit is maybe a soft cooler on top of the essentials you need. This is why I might invest in a small box trailer.

jagrubb99

With the back seat out, I agree, you can fit a ton more stuff. With the seat in, forget about it. Day trip is it, because all you can fit is maybe a soft cooler on top of the essentials you need. This is why I might invest in a small box trailer.

Honestly, if you are considering toting more than one passenger for multiple days in a 2 door JK, you should be seriously considering a 4 door. If done correctly you can pack all you need for 2 people and the rig for a several day trip.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Honestly, if you are considering toting more than one passenger for multiple days in a 2 door JK, you should be seriously considering a 4 door. If done correctly you can pack all you need for 2 people and the rig for a several day trip.

That makes zero sense??? With the thousands I would spend to get a 4 door, I could spend on a off road trailer. Like this.... And would be saving $$$$!!!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473174070.763217.jpg

Last edited:

whispike

All of mine goes in either the ARB Drawer, the orange ARB recovery bag or in the glove box shock tuning kit.

View attachment 221348

Glove box tools (winch controller goes in center console)

View attachment 221349

Recovery bag gear.

View attachment 221350

ARB main drawer.

View attachment 221351

2x Mastercraft bags with small spare parts.

View attachment 221352

Some of the hand tools.

View attachment 221353

Milwaukee 18v tools.

View attachment 221354

ARB Drawer has two side compartments meant to open up from rear but it doesn't work well in practice. Instead I drop the back seats to access from the front. Mastercraft canvas bags fit vertically in the space.

View attachment 221355

In each side tunnel fits a gallon of coolant and a Mastercraft bag with 6 quarts standing vertically nicely.

View attachment 221356

And all together.

View attachment 221357

This is a few times that I've seen this Tekton brand of wrenches. Are these a good brand to use?

Stotch

Caught the Bug
This is a few times that I've seen this Tekton brand of wrenches. Are these a good brand to use?

I got their torque wrench online for a good price. It's been holding up well. I'd be interested in hearing if their other tools hold up as well. They're usually priced well on Amazon.

Top Bottom