What's in your Jeep tool kit?

swampdog

This is a few times that I've seen this Tekton brand of wrenches. Are these a good brand to use?

You see them frequently bc they are cheap and usually available for 2 day delivery with Amazon prime. So far, the 1/2" drive Tekton torque wrench I ordered has held up well, but I have not tested its accuracy against a calibrated wrench.

whispike

You see them frequently bc they are cheap and usually available for 2 day delivery with Amazon prime. So far, the 1/2" drive Tekton torque wrench I ordered has held up well, but I have not tested its accuracy against a calibrated wrench.

Speaking of cheap, anybody use any Harbor Freight brand of hand tools? Been considering them for a trail tool kit. Any thoughts?

WJCO

Meme King
Speaking of cheap, anybody use any Harbor Freight brand of hand tools? Been considering them for a trail tool kit. Any thoughts?

I've had good luck with their impact sockets, but have found their regular sockets to be inaccurate and loose and I have broken SEVERAL wrenches and socket adapters. There's some things you just don't buy there.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
That makes zero sense??? With the thousands I would spend to get a 4 door, I could spend on a off road trailer. Like this.... And would be saving $$$$!!!
View attachment 221486

While I don't agree with jagrubb99 completely I will say when I bought my four door. It was less than $2k more than it's two door counter part. So that was a no brainer.

I like two doors too though and would love to have a trailer like you pictured as well.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
While I don't agree with jagrubb99 completely I will say when I bought my four door. It was less than $2k more than it's two door counter part. So that was a no brainer.

I like two doors too though and would love to have a trailer like you pictured as well.

Yeah, if you're buying a new Jeep anyway it might make sense to go 4-door for the extra space, but for example if I were to upgrade from my 09 2-door it would cost approximately $5,000 to go to a used 4-door with a similar year and mileage and more like $20,000 to go new.

Either way, a trailer like that would be bad ass. Or any of them in this thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33792-Off-road-trailers

I am going on a 10 day road trip through TN in the end of October and I think (with the back seat folded) we are going to be able to fit everything without a trailer. I love some of the ideas in this thread though.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Yeah, if you're buying a new Jeep anyway it might make sense to go 4-door for the extra space, but for example if I were to upgrade from my 09 2-door it would cost approximately $5,000 to go to a used 4-door with a similar year and mileage and more like $20,000 to go new.

Either way, a trailer like that would be bad ass. Or any of them in this thread: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?33792-Off-road-trailers

I am going on a 10 day road trip through TN in the end of October and I think (with the back seat folded) we are going to be able to fit everything without a trailer. I love some of the ideas in this thread though.

No doubt used prices are different. I really didn't look at used jeeps when I bought this one. I wanted certain things and new wasn't that much more than used. So it made more sense to me to buy new and have a clean slate to work with.

A trailer would be bad ass. I'm thinking about trying to find a military trailer and start building something. It would be nice to have just for hauling in general. I can't haul brush, or trash, or law mowers, etc.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
No doubt used prices are different. I really didn't look at used jeeps when I bought this one. I wanted certain things and new wasn't that much more than used. So it made more sense to me to buy new and have a clean slate to work with.

A trailer would be bad ass. I'm thinking about trying to find a military trailer and start building something. It would be nice to have just for hauling in general. I can't haul brush, or trash, or law mowers, etc.

Believe it or not I've actually looked into this because of the space issue. The price difference is more than you think. I could maybe get 20k for my 2010 2 door. I would want at least a 2013 4 door with low miles. The ones I find sell for around 26 to 28k. This is a stock 4 door which will need to be built up. Lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc ... Between the new jeep and build I'm looking at 15k easy. I'd rather get the trailer.

jagrubb99

There's no doubt making the swap from 2 door to 4 door is not the most beneficial financial decision, but it is a Jeep, maybe not the best financial decision to start with right? Lol. I guess what it comes down to is your personal preference. I per say own a 2 door, and later if I have reason to need more space i would start planning the save for an unlimited. Just my personal preference that I would be willing to fork out the extra for more space within the rig than save some on a trailer to pull behind me on the trail. But by all means if you like the trailer idea and wouldn't mind pulling it with you on the trails then i would say that is the best option for you. I could have worded my initial statement better, I admit. It all comes down to what you like and plan on doing with your Jeep.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Believe it or not I've actually looked into this because of the space issue. The price difference is more than you think. I could maybe get 20k for my 2010 2 door. I would want at least a 2013 4 door with low miles. The ones I find sell for around 26 to 28k. This is a stock 4 door which will need to be built up. Lift, tires, bumpers, winch, etc ... Between the new jeep and build I'm looking at 15k easy. I'd rather get the trailer.

Yeah I was meaning more of just buying. Not really trading anything in. That's what I did when I bought my 2014. Well let me rephrase that, I traded in my 2008 on it and I got what I paid for it a year prior basically. Only lost about $500 so it was basically a wash and was like I was buying out right.

There's no doubt making the swap from 2 door to 4 door is not the most beneficial financial decision, but it is a Jeep, maybe not the best financial decision to start with right? Lol. I guess what it comes down to is your personal preference. I per say own a 2 door, and later if I have reason to need more space i would start planning the save for an unlimited. Just my personal preference that I would be willing to fork out the extra for more space within the rig than save some on a trailer to pull behind me on the trail. But by all means if you like the trailer idea and wouldn't mind pulling it with you on the trails then i would say that is the best option for you. I could have worded my initial statement better, I admit. It all comes down to what you like and plan on doing with your Jeep.

I think jeeps are great financial investments. One of a few vehicles that hold their value exceptionally well. Brand new ones around me are going for a few thousand more than used ones with 50k miles on them. It's crazy people are selling them for this kind of money used, and they don't seem to last very long. Those prices, I'd rather just buy new.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Great thread JeepFan! I'll have to sit down and thoroughly go through it once I'm home from travel. :thumbup:

Stotch

Caught the Bug
I think we all agree that not every Jeep fits every person.

Anyway, back to the tools. Here's my daily tool set up. Metric impact set and cordless wrench, socket wrench and adapters, breaker bar, pliers and vice grips, two crescent wrenches, wire cutters, zip ties, screw drivers, torx set, and some spare bushings and bolts (that's all in the floor storage) back up battery jump-starter (glove box) recovery straps and a large come-along ratchet strap, two cargo straps (where the stock scissor jack used to be) electrical and duct tape, paracord (center console) small air compressor, collapsible shovel (under seats) oh and lots of bungee cords and carabiniers.

For long trips I have some ammo cans for fluids and some tool bags, but I'm still trying to figure it all out.

Attachments

• 1473206782665.jpg
    1473206782665.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 478
  • 1473206806678.jpg
    1473206806678.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 500

JeepFan

Hooked
Wow! Some really good ideas here. I know its tough for some of you 2 door guys and gals but clearly many of you have overcome the challenges and adapted.

OSV

someone mentioned looking for ammo cans? i saw some 30cal/50cal cans at costco the other day, they were on sale.

I have the same storage unit. And a similar setup , I carry a spare steering box too.... even if I have steering assist.
Years ago Eddie had a socket I needed and he really shouldn't of carried. A Dana 44 hub socket. He was running 60's. But he had it, that was a reminder for me that day to carry a few "unnecessary" tools. I went home and threw one in my tool bag.
And the Gatorade after all the walking around and the ride out helped too.
:beer:

All of mine goes in either the ARB Drawer, the orange ARB recovery bag or in the glove box shock tuning kit.

View attachment 221348

Glove box tools (winch controller goes in center console)

View attachment 221349

Recovery bag gear.

View attachment 221350

ARB main drawer.

View attachment 221351

2x Mastercraft bags with small spare parts.

View attachment 221352

Some of the hand tools.

View attachment 221353

Milwaukee 18v tools.

View attachment 221354

ARB Drawer has two side compartments meant to open up from rear but it doesn't work well in practice. Instead I drop the back seats to access from the front. Mastercraft canvas bags fit vertically in the space.

View attachment 221355

In each side tunnel fits a gallon of coolant and a Mastercraft bag with 6 quarts standing vertically nicely.

View attachment 221356

And all together.

View attachment 221357

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the same storage unit. And a similar setup , I carry a spare steering box too.... even if I have steering assist.
Years ago Eddie had a socket I needed and he really shouldn't of carried. A Dana 44 hub socket. He was running 60's. But he had it, that was a reminder for me that day to carry a few "unnecessary" tools. I went home and threw one in my tool bag.
And the Gatorade after all the walking around and the ride out helped too.
:beer:

LOL!! Carnage Canyon BV! That was so much fun! Totally miss wheeling with you guys :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
"Fun" ha!, I hiked that canyon a gazillion times (maybe a lot less, but felt like it :) )
Also that was 5 years ago this week!!!
And I agree!!

Damn, has it really been that long?! Or, were you trying to say that you're a lot older now and incapable of hiking that much? :thinking: :crazyeyes: :D

Yep that long ago.
I can still do the hiking but I do a lot more bitchin' (aka opinitating) than back then...

:beer::bleh:

Damn, has it really been that long?! Or, were you trying to say that you're a lot older now and incapable of hiking that much? :thinking: :crazyeyes: :D

RedSyndrome

It does help to travel in packs. On our Rubicon trip a few weeks ago, we had a rig pinch and puncture a rear break line. I had a spare and another driver in our group had spare crush washers. It worked out great for trail repairs. I have a large selection of tools that I take off roading. I have a shelf in the garage that holds everything. I load up before I go, and I unload when I get back. I only carry the bare essentials on a day to day basis.

JeepFan

Hooked
My grab and go tool roll and recovery gear.

These are items I carry in the glove box, center console and under the driver's seat.

The tool roll has basic hand tools to disconnect the battery, plyers to loosen the shackles, side cutters, screw drivers and zip ties. The small vice grips can come in handy to pinch off a broken brake line.

The winch controller, air down tool, wheel lock key and tire pressure gauge go in the center console.

Pull strap and gloves go under the driver's seat.

There's nothing worse than needing one of these items quickly and realizing it's buried in the cargo area.

In addition, fire extinguishers and flash lights should be easily accessible.

I'll probably add an 15mm wrench for those times when you need to adjust the drag link.

1473221126945.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom