Which/Best Gear Brand Thread

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
Found a local shop to do the install of the Yukon 4.56 ring & pinion with rebuild kit for $1200 ( price included gears, rebuild kit and install). While they had my baby up on the rack I also had them install Dynatrac Progrip Brakes. I can't believe how excited I am for tomorrow to get here.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
That's awesome 👍 post pictures when you get it back!

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

mikem0141

Best gears

I've heard all the gears are made by the same company, but what's everyone's opinion on Revolution, G2, Nitro, or motive kits for a regear I'm talking ring pinion as well as bearing quality? Anyone have any experience?

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I've heard all the gears are made by the same company, but what's everyone's opinion on Revolution, G2, Nitro, or motive kits for a regear I'm talking ring pinion as well as bearing quality? Anyone have any experience?

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used "revolution" gears as they had a good rep on the forum, and are a sponsor of the JKX (AND "superior" gears are no longer available... BUT the guy who owns revolution gear is the same guy who previously worked high up at "superior")

HOWEVER;
ALL of the gears are forged in the same korean plant, boxed, and shipped to the US, where they are post-processed, and re-boxed under the US retailers "brand-x"

Yukon, Motive, G2, Revolution, Nitro, etc. are all the same base part. Each follows their own post processing procedure... I think you are pretty safe with any brand name choice. Little things here and there are what makes the difference.

For example, Revolution OFFERS timkin bearing upgrades with their install kits (at an additional cost)
Timkin bearings may be overkill, as the standard kit from Revolution includes OEM bearings (which are NOT timkin Branded; however they are manufactured in the same facility IIRC)

:idontknow:

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I used "revolution" gears as they had a good rep on the forum, and are a sponsor of the JKX and "superior" gears are no longer available... the guy who owns revolution gear is the same guy who previously worked high up at "superior"

HOWEVER;
ALL of the gears are forged in the same korean plant, boxed, and shipped to the US, where they are post-processed, and re-boxed under the US retailers "brand-x"

Yukon, Motive, G2, Revolution, Nitro, etc. are all the same base part. Each follows their own post processing procedure... I think you are pretty safe with any brand name choice. Little things here and there are what makes the difference.

For example, Revolution OFFERS timkin bearing upgrades with their install kits (at an additional cost)
Timkin bearings may be overkill, as the standard kit from Revolution includes OEM bearings (which are NOT timkin Branded; however they are manufactured in the same facility IIRC)

:idontknow:

Yeah. Mine are Motive, and like I said, that’s what the particular shop would warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Like others have said, it doesn't really matter the brand but just make sure your master install kits are Timken or Koyo. I used Yukon personally because they had the best price when I was looking at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Like others have said, it doesn't really matter the brand but just make sure your master install kits are Timken or Koyo. I used Yukon personally because they had the best price when I was looking at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thats it, KOYO... rings a bell... I think KOYO are the OEM bearings, they are manufactured in Timkin's facility, but branded differently :idontknow:

Basically, its all "the same" just make sure your getting quality name-brand bearings with the install kits. None of this "chinese-autozone-special" bearing kits... You will be fine :twocents:

IIRC, When I opted for the timkin bearing upgrade, it was like $40 more? I figured "eh, what the hell, its $40 for peace of mind..."

giphy.gif

EDIT: huh... gif wont post... :(

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Revolutions for me. My first set of gears and bearing from Yukon broke pretty easily. Had 3 pinion bearings replaced before I just dealt with the noise of them.

Exodus 4x4

Not all gears are made in Korea. Some are made in Italy and some in India. Some are heat treated and some are cryo treated. I’ve run Yukon, Revolution and Nitro. I’ve also run Timken, Koyo, and some other brand of bearing I can’t remember. Couldn’t tell the difference in any of them to be honest. Out of everything I can say that Nitro has the best prep and packaging and install kit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom