Which/Best Gear Brand Thread

jkur77

Recently blew my rear end out of my Dana 44. I am wondering what are everybody's favorite brand of gears.

David1tontj

They're almost all made by the same company in Korea, then sold by different names. You can try to find a set made in USA, but I doubt you will. The only ones I've seen that aren't made in Korea are some factory gears and older sets.

I bought G2 gears because they used to be genuine gear before 4wp bought them, so I figured since they'd been around forever they were good. I get them out of the box, and there's the little "k" with a circle around it from that factory in Korea.

Some people claim there are "loud, noisy, whiny" sets of gears, but I can tell you that they probably just set them up too tight. It's good to be on the tighter end of tolerances, but if you get too tight you will have noise, and excess heat that can cause problems.

Anyway- just get whatever you can find a deal on, and make sure they are set up correctly and you'll be fine.

MC2003TJ

I Run Motive gears that clearly state on the box that they were made in Italy. No K with circle stamped on the gears. Very quiet gears.

mikefishes

Gear brands

They're almost all made by the same company in Korea, then sold by different names. You can try to find a set made in USA, but I doubt you will. The only ones I've seen that aren't made in Korea are some factory gears and older sets.

I bought G2 gears because they used to be genuine gear before 4wp bought them, so I figured since they'd been around forever they were good. I get them out of the box, and there's the little "k" with a circle around it from that factory in Korea.

Some people claim there are "loud, noisy, whiny" sets of gears, but I can tell you that they probably just set them up too tight. It's good to be on the tighter end of tolerances, but if you get too tight you will have noise, and excess heat that can cause problems.

Anyway- just get whatever you can find a deal on, and make sure they are set up correctly and you'll be fine.

The little "k" with a circle around it is the abbreviation for Kosher...

You can use those gears, but you may NOT wheel from sundown Friday until the appearance of three stars in the sky on Saturday night....and no matter what you do, no bacon in the vehicle.

frankly, I'd pass on those.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1442439482.193709.jpg

jkur77

Thanks.......

robx251

Caught the Bug
I also run g2 from alloy. Had bad experience with Yukon they weren't hardened and they didn't go good on their Warranty both front and rear

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

This is accurate information ^^^^

I Run Motive gears that clearly state on the box that they were made in Italy. No K with circle stamped on the gears. Very quiet gears.

To be clear, you have a TJ. The gears made for it are DIFFERENT.

mpkelley20

Are there differences in warranties with the gear compnaies? My brother in law has Yukon and his fronts just went and he said they only had a 1 year warranty on them. I thought others like G2 might have longer warranties. Since they are all pretty much the same for a JK, assuming price is similar, maybe look for best warranty.

I have Superior gears which came from same factiores as Yukon and G2. Not sure on warranty....and not sure if they are even in business anymore.

GKN is the largest manufacturer of gears in the US and they do make several R&P sets for various auto manufacturers. I am involved with a new welding and inspection line for a small AWD R&P set they will be making soon (car unknown).

I honestly don't know where many of the R&P sets we care about are made, but to think that they are all equal because they came out of the same factory is silly. There are subtle changes that different brands can require. Example: I used to make machines that assembles brake calipers. The same line made calipers for Ford, GM, Toyota, and Fiat. I won't slam the brands, but I know without a doubt that one of those products was assembled with greater quality than the others. They required more detailed testing and steps. For the other brands, these steps were bypassed for increased cycle time.

As far as a R&P set are concerned, The critical points are in the metal itself, machining tolerances, heat treat, and inspection. All 4 are easily tweaked without a visual difference and can be done by selecting a different program on a common line.

Now, If I get off my rant... I personally believe the biggest difference of all is in the hands of the installer and even if they are different who knows which/what is better.

CCJKUR

Well got. The new 35s on and I'm all ready wanting to gear it, I've got a 13 and an auto, so thinking 4:88s will be good,

Just wondering what gear set you have and install kit?

Thanks guys

jkwebbie

I know everyone says that all the gears are made in the same factory blah blah, but I personally would go with Yukon. You can buy a lifetime warranty on their gears for not that much more, which is a damn good deal to me. And just buy one of their master install kits too

Benito

Caught the Bug
I got Revolution gears and their master install kit from Trail Jeeps. I know Revolution advertises their axle shafts being made in the USA, but the gears have a nice little K on ring like a lot of other gears that are made in Korea. Almost all ring and pinions are made in Korea and hardened by manufactures here in the states. So it doesn't really matter which gear "brand" you go with

CCJKUR

I got Revolution gears and their master install kit from Trail Jeeps. I know Revolution advertises their axle shafts being made in the USA, but the gears have a nice little K on ring like a lot of other gears that are made in Korea. Almost all ring and pinions are made in Korea and hardened by manufactures here in the states. So it doesn't really matter which gear "brand" you go with

ok i thight they were all made in the same place but had to ask, i saw that northridge has front and rear gears with install kits with some random fluid for $599,

i saw revolution on here and looked at there stuff and liked them, also nitro gear gave me a price for everything at $680ish

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm running Nitro and never an issue. While all gears are made in the same factory, they are made to various specifications.

From what I've seen and talking to members of our local clubs, Yukon's are hit and miss. You may not have any issues but then there are others who had failures just driving - may be why they offer a lifetime warranty? is it a no questions asked warranty of just a manufacture defect warranty? is it the "at manufacturer's discretion" type warranty? IMO these warranties are not worth the extra money , but "Lifetime" has a nice ring to it

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

This^^^ Revolution even straight up told me when I called about there axle shafts that there gears were from the plant in Korea everyone else gets them from. All that they do is treat them differently once they receive them.

Op- give trail jeeps a call and get some revolution gears from them. You will not be disappointed

CCJKUR

This^^^ Revolution even straight up told me when I called about there axle shafts that there gears were from the plant in Korea everyone else gets them from. All that they do is treat them differently once they receive them.

Op- give trail jeeps a call and get some revolution gears from them. You will not be disappointed

I might have to do that today and get some on order.

While I'm in there, if the stock lower is in good shape think it's worth keeping? Or should I switch to like an arb

Top Bottom