Which winch?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I will NEVER understand these threads. :idontknow:

When I Pull Cable, It's because I NEED it...

I personally wouldn't risk a higher failure rate in my time of need, especially to only save $500 or less :shock: :crazyeyes:

I would rather NOT have a winch at all; then have a winch that might not work the next time I need it... something about false securities...

I'm with you here.

I always find it amusing how you never see pics or videos of all the badass winching people say they do. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler so there's that.

Torrin

Meh, back in the day, I bought a shittybilt since it was a "great deal", it shit the bed the second time I used it (oh, and I was quite stuck in the mud and could not move until someone came back to pull me out, then I could not respool my cable, so it was wrapped around my bumper). If you are actually going to USE the winch, get a good one, get a cover for it when not wheeling, and stay away from the Chinese crap built winches. My Superwinch was STOUT and pulled a lot of people out of the crap (and me) with zero issues. I have the Warn on Vengeance and it not failed me either, but I winch a lot less, as I don't get stuck and I usually pull others out.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Meh, back in the day, I bought a shittybilt since it was a "great deal", it shit the bed the second time I used it (oh, and I was quite stuck in the mud and could not move until someone came back to pull me out, then I could not respool my cable, so it was wrapped around my bumper). If you are actually going to USE the winch, get a good one, get a cover for it when not wheeling, and stay away from the Chinese crap built winches. My Superwinch was STOUT and pulled a lot of people out of the crap (and me) with zero issues. I have the Warn on Vengeance and it not failed me either, but I winch a lot less, as I don't get stuck and I usually pull others out.

When are you going to sell me that jeep? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Warn VR 10,000#

My new to me Jeep came with a Warn VR 10

I have always had Warn, with a M 6000, M 8000, and an XD 9000. They were all great, so I was excited to see this one, until I heard about the "made in China" part.

It seems to pull in ok, but won't reverse. It has a dead short, kills power to everything else when you hit reverse.

I just popped the top to troubleshoot it. Nothing jumps out, so now to start with an Ohm meter.

I will update this when I figure it out.

If anyone has experienced this, let me know what it was

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180417_203710_mini.jpg
    MVIMG_20180417_203710_mini.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20180417_203856_mini.jpg
    IMG_20180417_203856_mini.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 216
I’ve seen one m8000 motor burn up and stop working, not really a maintenance item. 8274 that no longer has a working brake. One m8000 planetary gears shred-we can call that one lack of maintenance. A VR series the free spool handle broke and wouldn’t engage. They’re a tool, and they have a reputation better than others, however- all shit still breaks sometimes.

Hey Eddie, whatever happened to the come-up winch you featured from sema? Any more news on that?

As far as the badlands goes, I’ve had nothing but good things to say about the 12k. However the 9k is garbage. They are admittedly slower but for the price and the longevity I’ve experienced over multiple vehicles and trailers, if you want to go cheaper absolutely do it. Don’t waste your money on the warranty though unless you plan to do something stupid with it like use it as a snatch point. Overlander your picture of the shot solenoids in the engo doesn’t apply to the badlands, it’s a sealed piece solenoid and has been for many years, however the plastic case IS sensitive to UV rays and will fade and crack in the sunlight if you don’t have a cover or mount the box under the hood. Also the “spring tensioner” bar to keep it from unraveling is annoying and limits the amount of rope you can put on it if you switch to synthetic, however it is very easy to remove it.
And yes, there is always a coupon..

Allenn

I’ve seen one m8000 motor burn up and stop working, not really a maintenance item. 8274 that no longer has a working brake. One m8000 planetary gears shred-we can call that one lack of maintenance. A VR series the free spool handle broke and wouldn’t engage. They’re a tool, and they have a reputation better than others, however- all shit still breaks sometimes.

Hey Eddie, whatever happened to the come-up winch you featured from sema? Any more news on that?

As far as the badlands goes, I’ve had nothing but good things to say about the 12k. However the 9k is garbage. They are admittedly slower but for the price and the longevity I’ve experienced over multiple vehicles and trailers, if you want to go cheaper absolutely do it. Don’t waste your money on the warranty though unless you plan to do something stupid with it like use it as a snatch point. Overlander your picture of the shot solenoids in the engo doesn’t apply to the badlands, it’s a sealed piece solenoid and has been for many years, however the plastic case IS sensitive to UV rays and will fade and crack in the sunlight if you don’t have a cover or mount the box under the hood. Also the “spring tensioner” bar to keep it from unraveling is annoying and limits the amount of rope you can put on it if you switch to synthetic, however it is very easy to remove it.

Good write up. Like I posted earlier I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Warn every one I have owned was great. For the guys/gals that don’t have a Warn in there budget and are looking for a cheap winch I’ve had great luck with the Badlands. I’ve had no experience with he 9k just the atv 3000# 3500# 5000# And 12k And they were used several times and have been under water and still work. The new 12k I have on my JL has yet to been used so I can’t speak for it. I was wanting to do synthetic rope upgrade to mine Can I not put the same length as the standard on there or was you talking about if you wanted add extra than what is already on there ? Thanks in advance.

Good write up. Like I posted earlier I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Warn every one I have owned was great. For the guys/gals that don’t have a Warn in there budget and are looking for a cheap winch I’ve had great luck with the Badlands. I’ve had no experience with he 9k just the atv 3000# 3500# 5000# And 12k And they were used several times and have been under water and still work. The new 12k I have on my JL has yet to been used so I can’t speak for it. I was wanting to do synthetic rope upgrade to mine Can I not put the same length as the standard on there or was you talking about if you wanted add extra than what is already on there ? Thanks in advance.

The 12k a few years back came with 90’ of 3/8” steel rope. Then they found out that harbor freight customers are idiots (surprise, surprise right?) and couldn’t handle getting the rope to spool in clean for maximum rope length and would end up cracking the solenoid box and pinching the wire stuck and bending the cross bar and having to get it replaced. So they added the tension bar and dropped the length to 65’. That’s a big difference when a tree is slightly out of reach. When switching to synthetic, you do not need to stick with 3/8” as the line ratings are higher for dyneema, so you can get away with a thinner rope allowing you to have more length. You can absolutely replace it with the same length you have now and not mess with anything, besides either a hawse fairlead or swap rollers made for synthetic line,but honestly it’s on the short side, and I’d rather not have to walk back to the Jeep to get an extension because I’m lazy.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
My new to me Jeep came with a Warn VR 10

I have always had Warn, with a M 6000, M 8000, and an XD 9000. They were all great, so I was excited to see this one, until I heard about the "made in China" part.

It seems to pull in ok, but won't reverse. It has a dead short, kills power to everything else when you hit reverse.

I just popped the top to troubleshoot it. Nothing jumps out, so now to start with an Ohm meter.

I will update this when I figure it out.

If anyone has experienced this, let me know what it was

It's hard to tell I. The picture but is this cable pinched? Almost looks like it might be, and could be rubbed through on the case. IMG_3115.JPG

Allenn

The 12k a few years back came with 90’ of 3/8” steel rope. Then they found out that harbor freight customers are idiots (surprise, surprise right?) and couldn’t handle getting the rope to spool in clean for maximum rope length and would end up cracking the solenoid box and pinching the wire stuck and bending the cross bar and having to get it replaced. So they added the tension bar and dropped the length to 65’. That’s a big difference when a tree is slightly out of reach. When switching to synthetic, you do not need to stick with 3/8” as the line ratings are higher for dyneema, so you can get away with a thinner rope allowing you to have more length. You can absolutely replace it with the same length you have now and not mess with anything, besides either a hawse fairlead or swap rollers made for synthetic line,but honestly it’s on the short side, and I’d rather not have to walk back to the Jeep to get an extension because I’m lazy.

Thanks for the reply. I’m pretty lazy myself haha.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Being that you’ve seen so many warn breaks I’m sure you have pictures of them. I’d like to see them to back up what you said.

Being that you’ve seen so many warn breaks I’m sure you have pictures of them. I’d like to see them to back up what you said.

Nah. I don’t make a habit of taking apart and taking and keeping pictures of other people’s breaks, especially the ones that are covered by their warranty anyways. Not my problem :p
Pics or it didn’t happen request denied.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Nah. I don’t make a habit of taking apart and taking and keeping pictures of other people’s breaks, especially the ones that are covered by their warranty anyways. Not my problem :p
Pics or it didn’t happen request denied.

Took me a minute to take my winch apart for the picture I posted while on Pritchett in Moab. Guess I must have more time on my hands.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Everyone bags on foreign products all the time. I'd like to see all the "high" and "low" end winch breaks. If the low end winches...and products are shit then why are so many sold?

Top Bottom