Winch opinions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep....you still sounding like an ass...lol

Yep.... you're still sounding like an ass as well... LOL ;)

I'm not sure how long it's been for you on Pumpkin Eater but if you slip off to the left you stand a chance of a flop. It's all dug out. For one of the guys this is what happened and he was able to stop before he flopped. I was able to climb up the bank above the trail and pull him to the right and forward up the waterfall. Also the 4 doors have a tendency to slip the rear axle off to the left and land on the ds once again requiring a pull. We had 14 rigs on that one.

Never said that a winch as nice, expensive and dependable as yours is wouldn't have been helpful but, are you really trying to suggest that there was no way a strap could have been used to help out in that situation? To me, there is a distinct difference between "using a winch" and "needing" one.

....Great day though

Being that you had a WARN winch and was the hero that got to save everyone from a trail that "needed" its help, I'll bet it was. You have my permission to go pat yourself on the back some more. :yup:

Serg5000

I had a Smittybilt winch I thought would never let us down. We used it many time to recover others. Used it to pull big trees off to the side of the road. That being said, I needed it to recover someone out in the desert. Had it all hooked up and when I squeezed the trigger.....nothing. Messed with it for a few minutes and got nothing. Turns out the solenoids were bad. It also turned out to be something Smittybilt knew about happening on the first gen winches. I was a bit angry when when I found that out. I was done with that winch at that point. I went in search of a used Warn winch and was successful at finding a 9.5ti. This new to me winch works great. Although I learned a few things like use it from time to time even if it's just to unspool and spool. It ensures it will be ready when needed.

Let's not forget about Warns great customer service and product support.

My two cents.

WOKNROX

Yep.... you're still sounding like an ass as well... LOL ;)

Never said that a winch as nice, expensive and dependable as yours is wouldn't have been helpful but, are you really trying to suggest that there was no way a strap could have been used to help out in that situation? To me, there is a distinct difference between "using a winch" and "needing" one.

Being that you had a WARN winch and was the hero that got to save everyone from a trail that "needed" its help, I'll bet it was. You have my permission to go pat yourself on the back some more. :yup:

So I guess it's been a while for you on PE...maybe we'll see you on Pumpkin Eater for Hi Desert Roundup?
Like I said once the jeep slips off the rock to the left your chance for the strap is gone and it's time for a winch.
It was my run , I called it ,led it and got everyone through many trails in Stoddard Wells safely so if that's what you call a hero then?
I call it a good day on the rocks.

WOKNROX

For the OP....buy the best winch you can afford even if that means getting a better quality but used winch in good condition. Then read a book ,take a class and or hang with guys that know how to use it correctly so you can learn how to use it safely.
Hope this helps.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
For the OP....buy the best winch you can afford even if that means getting a better quality but used winch in good condition. Then read a book ,take a class and or hang with guys that know how to use it correctly so you can learn how to use it safely.
Hope this helps.

Does the book/class/guys that know how to use it correctly tell me what to do what to do when my shitty Chinese winch shits the bed and can't get me unstuck? Just curious because I bought a cheap Chinese winch and it has failed the first two times I used it. But I didn't read a book, take a class or hang with guys who know how to use it correctly.

Serg5000

Does the book/class/guys that know how to use it correctly tell me what to do what to do when my shitty Chinese winch shits the bed and can't get me unstuck? Just curious because I bought a cheap Chinese winch and it has failed the first two times I used it. But I didn't read a book, take a class or hang with guys who know how to use it correctly.

Had you read the book you would had seen the instructions on how to find a Warn retailer. Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I guess it's been a while for you on PE...maybe we'll see you on Pumpkin Eater for Hi Desert Roundup?

Well, if it helps you to sleep better at night, you can believe whatever it is you want to believe. BTW, congrats to you for making your 6th post, 4 of which are all on this thread. :clap2:

Like I said once the jeep slips off the rock to the left your chance for the strap is gone and it's time for a winch.

Yeah, you did once say that and being that you did it on the internet, it must be true - BONJOUR :standing wave:

It was my run , I called it ,led it and got everyone through many trails in Stoddard Wells safely so if that's what you call a hero then?
I call it a good day on the rocks.

YOUR run, YOU called it and let me see, YOU got everyone through the many trails in Stoddard Wells safely. Man, YOU are so cool, how could you be anything less than a hero. If YOU really feel that YOUR winch was needed on YOUR good day on the rocks, it's a good thing YOU had a WARN winch :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For the OP....buy the best winch you can afford even if that means getting a better quality but used winch in good condition.

Coming from the guy who runs one of the best and most expensive made in America WARN winches you can get. :cheesy:

Then read a book ,take a class and or hang with guys that know how to use it correctly so you can learn how to use it safely.
Hope this helps.

Oh come on, don't be shy, just say that he needs to hang out with YOU. :D

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You mean to tell me you bought a Chinese winch and it didn't work?? Say it isn't so!! :cheesy:

WOKNROX

And purpose of these post is?
Sounds like your having anger issues with your winch ...have you tried to contact the dealer you bought it from..?
But maybe it was a good thing it didn't work. ..cause the ignorance you expressed in your post sounds like you were going to use it wrong ....haha!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
And purpose of these post is?
Sounds like your having anger issues with your winch ...have you tried to contact the dealer you bought it from..?
But maybe it was a good thing it didn't work. ..cause the ignorance you expressed in your post sounds like you were going to use it wrong ....haha!

Yeah probably. I am an idiot. Ask around. And no I don't have anger issues. In fact I joke about how shitty the winch is rather often.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that took forever :crazyeyes:

Well of course he would have used it wrong. I mean, who would know how to use a winch correctly unless they learned from the hero expert WOKNROX :thumb:

WOKNROX

Yeah probably. I am an idiot. Ask around. And no I don't have anger issues. In fact I joke about how shitty the winch is rather often.

Nah I'm sure your a cool dude bud...I'm just screwing around....it's the net right...lol
That sucks that it died purdy much right out of the box...can you get it fixed under warranty or through the dealer you bought it from?

WOKNROX

Wow, that took forever :crazyeyes:

Well of course he would have used it wrong. I mean, who would know how to use a winch correctly unless they learned from the hero expert WOKNROX :thumb:

Yep that's right....I'm the hero cause you said so right...

Top Bottom