Winching 101

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not the fault of the factor 55 but fault with the owner/operator. That should have been found out long before actually needing to use it. There are three different sizes of prolinks: believe one for ATVs/UTVs, then the regular prolink, and finally the prolink XXL which fits the 3/4 shackle pin but also the 7/8 shackle pin. :thumb:

Good lesson to know your recovery equipment and how to use it before it is needed for a recovery. We all have made mistakes. I dont even own a winch yet! Its on my list of soon to purchase though!

Well that's a bit presumptuous of you to say. You assume that the owner/operator will always be wheeling with a buddy that's outside the rig and ready to go with all of your own recovery equipment. In my experience, there are more times than not that the guy who needs to winch is relying on the rig ahead of him and using THEIR recovery gear. Is it their fault if they don't have the right size D-Ring to work with your Factor 55 thimble?

The good lesson to know is that it's always BEST to have recovery equipment that EVERYONE can work with and without having to figure out how to use it. We all have made mistakes including me - I HAVE THIMBLES on my winch ropes and regret it. But hey, that's just me, what do I know. :crazyeyes:

GCM 2

Let me also add, I have no experience with any of the factor 55 stuff. So I am by no means an expert and hope I wasn't coming off that way.

No problems ;) I still think that even that "flat link" is just cool looking, but absolutely an overthought out piece of recovery kit and really unnecessary.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No problems ;) I still think that even that "flat link" is just cool looking, but absolutely an overthought out piece of recovery kit and really unnecessary.

I should add that they're EXPENSIVE cool looking things and more than just unnecessary - a real hindrance to a recovery at times.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to add, to each their own. It's your money, your Jeep and you should spend it and buy whatever you want for it. :yup:

GCM 2

I would like to add, to each their own. It's your money, your Jeep and you should spend it and buy whatever you want for it. :yup:

I'm with you here too, everybody likes to add their own little touches to their vehicle.

I'm just a believer that if it does not improve upon the function or performance of what it is you are "enhancing", it does not go on my rig.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
Couldn't agree with you all more on that it was a personal preference not a need.

And yes Eddie, the situation may very well come up that you are the one stuck and you don't have/can't use your equipment and must use somebody else's equipment and you not know how to use it because it's something you may not have dealt with before. Good point.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The good lesson to know is that it's always BEST to have recovery equipment that EVERYONE can work with and without having to figure out how to use it. We all have made mistakes including me - I HAVE THIMBLES on my winch ropes and regret it. But hey, that's just me, what do I know. :crazyeyes:

If you were to replace the thimbles, what would you go with?

07JKSahara

You still will need a second clevis/D-ring to attach to recovery points. See ttfhell's post above again.

I have been a part of several recoveries where a Factor 55 link was involved. It is a superfluous piece of kit and not needed, and not to be confused with a "safety thimble"

I get everything you guys are saying. Curious again, difference in a safety thimble and factorr55?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I get everything you guys are saying. Curious again, difference in a safety thimble and factorr55?

LOL!! You get it but you don't :crazyeyes:

In a nutshell, safety thimbles are typically "built into" aftermarket synthetic lines - you order them the line that way and you cannot separate them. Factor55 thimbles are EXPENSIVE add-on that you have to BUY and use in place of the perfectly good hook that came WITH your winch.

07JKSahara

LOL!! You get it but you don't :crazyeyes:

In a nutshell, safety thimbles are typically "built into" aftermarket synthetic lines - you order them the line that way and you cannot separate them. Factor55 thimbles are EXPENSIVE add-on that you have to BUY and use in place of the perfectly good hook that came WITH your winch.

I get it. Thanks.

ttfhell

This is what I have for good or bad. It's always worked to pull another jeep to me, even when I want to pull my fat jeep to someone else lol. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1426722121.366840.jpg

Top Bottom