Winching 101

doojer

Warn clearly knows you better be drunk when that hook flies through your skull, or else that shit would hurt! :beer:

But, really, I just came here to post the pic below.... because it's awesome. :thumb:

main.php

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Mainly for speed and ease of use as well as a little bit of safety thrown in (time to set up). For instance if you want to go winch to somebody's D ring you need this as well as TWO shackles to make it work. One shackle to go through the factor 55 and another to go through the d-ring mount on their bumper. Where as with a decent sized hook you can do it without anything else or at worse one shackle. Additionally with a larger hook you can fit both ends of a tree saver through if needed overlapped on itself.

If you are in a hurry it's nice to be able to just walk up and hook to something. Not sure why it would be safer than a locking hook either.
You can also watch on the last Jkx video how well this set up worked on the winch race. Couldn't get the shackle though the hole on the factor 55. They do look cool though👍

I couldn't agree more, as our two door was teetering off a shelf road, Eddie quickly pulled out our winch line out and hooked it to the back of trail buds JK.

If we had the factor kit, it would have taken longer to get to the recovery bag from the back. In the position we were in, I had to use eddies winch controller anyways.

I'll take my hook any day of the week.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't agree more, as our two door was teetering off a shelf road, Eddie quickly pulled out our winch line out and hooked it to the back of trail buds JK.

If we had to the factor kit, it would have taken longer to a recovery bag from the back. In the position we were in, I had to use eddies winch controller anyways.

I'll take my hook any day of the week.

:cheesy: True story!! The parking garages at the mall can be pretty hairy :D

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
I used to work in the rigging industry, manufacturing winch lines, tow/snatch straps, tow ropes, and we sold all sorts of hooks, shackles etc, so I figure I could shed a little extra light.

The hook you have pictured above, and exactly what comes with 99% of winches is really an inadequate part. They are no way meant for any type of rope, synthetic or wire. They are cheap grade 30 or 40 hooks for chain, hence the Clevis style, it's really meant to hook into a chain link there. The grade 30 items are classified as general purpose items, farm use or personal kind of stuff. They're not even rated for tie downs, never mind lifting. I realize many people use them with no issue, but personally would never trust one if them on my rig.

Next step up is grade 70, tie down chain and fittings. This stuff is typically played gold. It's better than your cheap grade 30 stuff, but once again still not rated for overhead lifting. In other words it's not trusted in the commercial/industrial world in dangerous lifts that could be dangerous to people.

Next along the line you get grade 80, followed by grade 100. Both of these are rated for overhead lifting and is what I feel safe around pending proper use. The yellow/orange hook you had a picture of earlier Eddie, is a grade 80 self locking style hook. As someone else mentioned, it can not physically open while loaded due to the design. IMO, best hook design out there. There is also plenty of room inside the hook for your straps. The latches are strong but easily replaced if you break one.

For those of you interested in a hook like that, any local rigging shop should have them, and be able to install one on your current winch line for a minimal amount, plus the cost of the hook of course.

Just a quick FYI for you guys, virtually any chain / wire rope fittings you buy such as hooks and shackles are manufactured in China to minimum American standards. If you are after a superior product, look for Crosby. You likely won't find it at any off road shop tho, only a rigging shop or industrial supply place. It's all built in the usa or Canada to a higher standard. If you do go looking for them, ask for Screw Pin Anchor Shackles. The offroad community for whatever reason refers to them as d-rings, which is technically a whole different thing. I would be happy to elaborate or answer questions as I rarely run into anyone with first hand experience with this kind of stuff. It was my job for about 4 years after high school, but decided to trade it in for something a little easier on my body.

Agreed on using Crosby shackles. And I'm noticing the use of different terminology here than would be used in the construction industry.

One thing to be especially wary of is cast hooks. Some Chinese made hooks are made with cast steel, instead of forged steel. And the cast hooks have been known to break in half under loads because they aren't forged. Basically, they give no warning they are going to fail, where a forged hook is designed to wrinkle if they are over stressed, before they fail. This is more about chain falls, but I'm sure that some cast hooks could be sold for off road usages, too.

Last edited:

David1tontj

Mainly for speed and ease of use as well as a little bit of safety thrown in (time to set up). For instance if you want to go winch to somebody's D ring you need this as well as TWO shackles to make it work. One shackle to go through the factor 55 and another to go through the d-ring mount on their bumper. Where as with a decent sized hook you can do it without anything else or at worse one shackle. Additionally with a larger hook you can fit both ends of a tree saver through if needed overlapped on itself.

If you are in a hurry it's nice to be able to just walk up and hook to something. Not sure why it would be safer than a locking hook either.
You can also watch on the last Jkx video how well this set up worked on the winch race. Couldn't get the shackle though the hole on the factor 55. They do look cool though👍

I end up in the local mountains pulling people out of the snow every winter, and very few of them have good tow points. With a hook, I can just clip it onto the frame 90% of the time. Not sure what you'd do with the factor 55. Maybe run a strap around the frame?

Also- I hear you on the speed.. There have been a couple times I have been teetering on the edge of something and needed a hook on me ASAP!

Top Bottom