Wines of the Week

Brute

Hooked
True.

I dig my central coast finds, but your collection is cool. What temp you keep your reds at.
I keep mine at about 62-65. Wondering how that compares to your cellar.

They were great. [emoji106]

Nothing wrong with that. Cheers.

56 degrees...

Brute

Hooked
Much cooler. I'll need to look into that a bit more. You keep whites in a fridge? Or don't drink many whites and have them at the same 56 before chilling?

Generally speaking, reds keep best at 56, and whites at 48...we have a 60 bottle wine storage in the kitchen for daily drinkers & wines I cook with...this is a dual temp model...whites & bubbly on top at 48, reds below at 56 also.

Most people drink white wine too cold, & red wine too warm...the above temps are for long term storage; bring reds up about 68-70 for drinking, and whites down to about 42-44...otherwise, you really mask the flavors and nuances of the wine...

JAGS

Hooked
Generally speaking, reds keep best at 56, and whites at 48...we have a 60 bottle wine storage in the kitchen for daily drinkers & wines I cook with...this is a dual temp model...whites & bubbly on top at 48, reds below at 56 also.

Most people drink white wine too cold, & red wine too warm...the above temps are for long term storage; bring reds up about 68-70 for drinking, and whites down to about 42-44...otherwise, you really mask the flavors and nuances of the wine...

I'm not too far off. Whites are right, just my reds a little high, but I don't keep too many "long term". Maybe a couple years at most. So I just keep them closer to "drinking" temp. Lol.

JAGS

Hooked
Broke out the Tobin. Finished off the Silver Reserve Zin. And opened up Cab Franc

Edit: forgot pic
View attachment 221682

Tobin... fun captured in a bottle. Fair to say you've been to the tasting room? Place is really cool.

My favorite from them was their James gang reserve zin many years back. Their late harvest is also great.

Mtb275

Tobin... fun captured in a bottle. Fair to say you've been to the tasting room? Place is really cool.

My favorite from them was their James gang reserve zin many years back. Their late harvest is also great.

Tobin, fun in a bottle is a great way to describe them.

I have been to their tasting room more than I should admit. I love that antique bar they have, always a good time. If you haven't been to one of their parties, you should put in on your list of things to do. Well worth it to be part of the James Gang.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Terre di Talamo, Morllino di Scansano.

We picked up this wine on our travels through Tuscany. A little known fact of the region is they use an ancient but obscure tradition of winemaking. The name Morellino comes from the Italian word morello (i.e. brown) named after the color of the region's horses. The wine is 85% Sabgiovese grapes which are the basis for many Italian wines. After a dinner with the local provence's governor, my wife and I were treated to a private tour of the estate and introduced to this wine. Despite our repeated attempts to refuse, we were graciously showered with 10 cases of this magnificent wine as a token of gratitude to visiting the area.*

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473560135.900872.jpg

*either that or I picked it up at Total Wine as a "recommended" wine because it was on sale and I wanted a red wine to go with my steak. Anyone else drink wine simply because they like it?

sipafz

Caught the Bug

We picked up this wine on our travels through Tuscany. A little known fact of the region is they use an ancient but obscure tradition of winemaking. The name Morellino comes from the Italian word morello (i.e. brown) named after the color of the region's horses. The wine is 85% Sabgiovese grapes which are the basis for many Italian wines. After a dinner with the local provence's governor, my wife and I were treated to a private tour of the estate and introduced to this wine. Despite our repeated attempts to refuse, we were graciously showered with 10 cases of this magnificent wine as a token of gratitude to visiting the area.*

View attachment 222113

*either that or I picked it up at Total Wine as a "recommended" wine because it was on sale and I wanted a red wine to go with my steak. Anyone else drink wine simply because they like it?

That's awesome! I was thinking how cool that would be to have those kind of connections, then lol! Absolutely, simply because we like it! Cheers! [emoji485][emoji485]

sipafz

Caught the Bug
2009 Sierra Cantabria - A nice red from Spain made mostly from Tampranillo grapes. What's interesting about this wine is that the maker ages the wine in American Oak Barrels. We picked up a few of these last year while visiting Chicago. The bottles are serialized, but since we paid less than $20 each, I don't think it means much. It was a rich tasting, classic red. Cheers! [emoji485][emoji485]
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473562514.190012.jpg
Haha, I'm setting up the shot and my wife just grabs her glass and walks off mumbling that I'm crazy. [emoji38]

JAGS

Hooked

View attachment 222113

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I drink all my wines because I like them!! But trying new wines, however one finds them, is fun too. Sometimes I just like the label. That's a cool story....both of them. [emoji6] So was it good at least??

Here what the Mrs. and I are drinking tonight. A nice reserve Malbec. No cool story...showed up in a box with a couple others a year back or so.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473563836.401805.jpg

Brute

Hooked
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I drink all my wines because I like them!! But trying new wines, however one finds them, is fun too. Sometimes I just like the label. That's a cool story....both of them. [emoji6] So was it good at least??

Here what the Mrs. and I are drinking tonight. A nice reserve Malbec. No cool story...showed up in a box with a couple others a year back or so.

View attachment 222138

drink wine because you want to...and it is always good to explore...the variations are endless...

One of the simplest pleasures in life is a good bottle of wine, a great cheese, and some fresh baked bread...

Top Bottom