WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Slimebones

Local hydraulic hose shop should be able to build you the required line while you wait. Should not take very long for a shop that knows what they are doing.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Would it be easier to replace the line with a more traditional style so you can just change the O-ring instead of the whole line, if you ever had to change it again?

WJCO

Meme King
Local hydraulic hose shop should be able to build you the required line while you wait. Should not take very long for a shop that knows what they are doing.

Would it be easier to replace the line with a more traditional style so you can just change the O-ring instead of the whole line, if you ever had to change it again?

Thanks for the suggestions. It's looking like dealership will be the best option I think. They have a re-designed part and supposedly it's about 50 bucks. I will go in later with my VIN just to make sure. The issue is that the first design has some kind of internal seal in the fitting that can't be serviced. It also appears that internal seal may wear due to line not being centered or walking around. The first design fitting has a beveled flare where it sits in the pump, whereas the new design has a squared off male end that goes inside the pump rather than sitting on a beveled surface. Also the new designed fitting doesn't have any internal seal in the fitting.

Old:

Power steering issues II.jpg

New:

New Hose Fitting.jpg

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the suggestions. It's looking like dealership will be the best option I think. They have a re-designed part and supposedly it's about 50 bucks. I will go in later with my VIN just to make sure. The issue is that the first design has some kind of internal seal in the fitting that can't be serviced. It also appears that internal seal may wear due to line not being centered or walking around. The first design fitting has a beveled flare where it sits in the pump, whereas the new design has a squared off male end that goes inside the pump rather than sitting on a beveled surface. Also the new designed fitting doesn't have any internal seal in the fitting.

Sounds like the way to go, good luck!

WJCO

Meme King
Looks like a good design. That makes sure it is sitting in there square and flush.

Sounds like the way to go, good luck!

Well, just called the dealer. My butt hurts just after the phone call. They want like 300 bucks or something. I'm not doing that. I'm willing to try an aftermarket one for 30 first. I don't like doing that a lot on stuff like this, but that price was just too much. We shall see. I'll be able to visually tell if the aftermarket one is updated.

GraniteCrystal

Local dealer had JW Speaker headlights on the wall. I asked how much. $800. I said "You know those are around $460 on Amazon right?" He says, "I hate Amazon."

Don't know why they always charge so much more.

Slimebones

Talk to the guys down at the Parker Store 303-289-2722 in Denver. They made hoses for my PSC for a reasonable price and they should know what you need. That is what their whole business is about.

WJCO

Meme King
Local dealer had JW Speaker headlights on the wall. I asked how much. $800. I said "You know those are around $460 on Amazon right?" He says, "I hate Amazon."

Don't know why they always charge so much more.

It's ridiculous.

Talk to the guys down at the Parker Store 303-289-2722 in Denver. They made hoses for my PSC for a reasonable price and they should know what you need. That is what their whole business is about.

I may do that. Thanks. I've got a local one I'm picking up today, but if for some reason it doesn't work, I will call those guys for sure. Thanks.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Well, just called the dealer. My butt hurts just after the phone call. They want like 300 bucks or something. I'm not doing that. I'm willing to try an aftermarket one for 30 first. I don't like doing that a lot on stuff like this, but that price was just too much. We shall see. I'll be able to visually tell if the aftermarket one is updated.

$300 is crazy! Stealerships :icon_crazy:

WJCO

Meme King
Leak is fixed!The aftermarket line from O'Reilly's is updated and fixed it. New one is in the foreground of the picture below. The threaded fitting slides on the line. The old version in the background has no line sticking out of the threaded piece. It terminates inside the fitting with some kind of internal seal. The jabroni at the dealer told me that I needed two components for about 300 bucks, which isn't accurate. I fixed my pressure line leak with one updated aftermarket part for 30 bucks. And O'Reilly's only lists one for the WJ so something fishy is going on at the dealer.

IMG_20170727_162443_874.jpg

Bad news: Although I am now 100% sure my fan motor was bad ( as I can hear it running like a bat out of hell and never did before), the jeep is still getting hot at idle. I confirmed with a temp laser that the gauge is accurate. Being that this symptom started after numerous water crossings, I really think there is some debris built up in the condenser or radiator somewhere even if I can't see it.

PS: RTV doesn't do shit on a 700psi steering system, leaked in about 20 seconds.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Leak is fixed!The aftermarket line from O'Reilly's is updated and fixed it. New one is in the foreground of the picture below. The threaded fitting slides on the line. The old version in the background has no line sticking out of the threaded piece. It terminates inside the fitting with some kind of internal seal. The jabroni at the dealer told me that I needed two components for about 300 bucks, which isn't accurate. I fixed my pressure line leak with one updated aftermarket part for 30 bucks. And O'Reilly's only lists one for the WJ so something fishy is going on at the dealer.

Bad news: Although I am now 100% sure my fan motor was bad ( as I can hear it running like a bat out of hell and never did before), the jeep is still getting hot at idle. I confirmed with a temp laser that the gauge is accurate. Being that this symptom started after numerous water crossings, I really think there is some debris built up in the condenser or radiator somewhere even if I can't see it.

PS: RTV doesn't do shit on a 700psi steering system, leaked in about 20 seconds.

Nice work with the PS leak! Too bad about the temps though. I really thought the new fan motor was gonna do it for ya. I hope you get it sorted out, good luck!

WJCO

Meme King
Nice work with the PS leak! Too bad about the temps though. I really thought the new fan motor was gonna do it for ya. I hope you get it sorted out, good luck!

Man that sucks about the temps. I know how frustrating that is. What's next ? New radiator?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Radiator is only a few years old and clean inside and out. I just ran this thing at idle for an hour and couldn't get it to act up. So annoying. No leaks, water pump new and working, fan working, thermostat working. Wouldn't even go past 200. It only heats up when it wants to.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
"Jabroni's" keep comin at ya! Glad O'reilys had in stock.

Me too.

Before I fixed my exhaust manifolds mine was getting hot at times also just an idea.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

Interesting. I think one may be leaking, because I get a tick on cold starts, but it goes away pretty quick. Only issue is that has been going on for awhile whereas the heating up at idle is a newer thing.

WJCO

Meme King
Still heating up at idle. More noticeable with ac on. Bigcale brought up a good point today. With ac on, the condenser is extremely hot. This may indeed be the source of the issue, especially that all this started after several water crossings. I may pull the bumper this fall and inspect.

WJCO

Meme King
So I've been thinking more about how I'm going to clean this condenser without having to remove it. I started looking on the internet for special tools. This guy on YouTube had one but I couldn't find it anywhere. So I built my own! Took about five minutes to build. I only have about .5 inches of clearance between the radiator and condenser, so I went with .25 copper pipe, drilled some tiny holes, sweat the end closed, and hooked it to a garden hose adapter. Here it is:

IMG_20170731_162518_833.jpg

IMG_20170731_162539_456.jpg

IMG_20170731_162823_926.jpg

And here it is in motion. The water coming through the condenser is being sprayed from the inside outward. I cleaned every single fin. Not sure if this will fix it, but for sure the condenser is clean.

IMG_20170731_162609_534.jpg

IMG_20170731_162634_921.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
And........No luck. Still heating up. At least I have a clean condenser and radiator now. I did find a pretty large temperature difference at the tstat today, where previously it was a lot closer. It's only a year old but I'm going to change it anyways, maybe it's sticking. Hard to say. Really frustrating.

Top Bottom