WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

WJCO

Meme King
Got the ARB breather kit installed. Very easy. For the diffs, I just heated up the plastic line that ARB sent and opened it up with needle nose pliers to make it fit the larger fittings in the axles. For the tcase and transmission, I ended up just sliding the ARB into the OEM rubber line about 3 inches or so and zip-tied it really good, it was a tight fit without the zip ties so I think I'll be fine. I did this because I was running short on tubing, as well as those two gear boxes were really hard to reach and hard to get to the fitting on the gear box.

Rear diff:

DSC06504.jpg

Front diff:

DSC06510.jpg

Transmission has had to breathe a time or two it looks like:

DSC06513.jpg

Manifold all fitted cozy next to the Chipotle intake:

DSC06527.jpg

DSC06530.jpg

For OCD's sake I masked off the axles and tcase with foil and FlexSealed the ends of the breather hoses:

DSC06537.jpg

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
Got the ARB breather kit installed. Very easy. For the diffs, I just heated up the plastic line that ARB sent and opened it up with needle nose pliers to make it fit the larger fittings in the axles. For the tcase and transmission, I ended up just sliding the ARB into the OEM rubber line about 3 inches or so and zip-tied it really good, it was a tight fit without the zip ties so I think I'll be fine. I did this because I was running short on tubing, as well as those two gear boxes were really hard to reach and had to get to the fitting on the gear box.

Rear diff:

View attachment 269802

Front diff:

View attachment 269803

Transmission has had to breathe a time or two it looks like:

View attachment 269804

Manifold all fitted cozy next to the Chipotle intake:

View attachment 269805

View attachment 269806

For OCD's sake I masked off the axles and tcase with foil and FlexSealed the ends of the breather hoses:

View attachment 269807

Looks good! I'll have to look into doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Looks good! I'll have to look into doing this.

Great post really hope it helps

[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

...I'm just running out to the garage for a minute....or two

It certainly looks cool, but I'll also be the first to admit that I could easily be the victim of some Hocus pocus. ARB makes a good presentation with why they recommend it, and Brute recommended it and has a ton of experience with underwater pressures. He also said with lots of water crossings and regular maintenance that he has had no signs of water in the gearboxes.

So all the breathers go to one manifold? Both axles, trans, and transfer case?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yes. Instead of the factory one-way jiggle caps like the picture below, the hoses just breathe naturally through a filter, no valves. I know for sure my tcase breather was plugged previously, because before I replaced it with the updated one from Mopar per TSB, I kept having tcase leaks in the same spot even after repairing the leak. After breather cap replacement, no more leaks.

IMG_20170725_210517_773.jpg

black pearl

Hooked
It certainly looks cool, but I'll also be the first to admit that I could easily be the victim of some Hocus pocus. ARB makes a good presentation with why they recommend it, and Brute recommended it and has a ton of experience with underwater pressures. He also said with lots of water crossings and regular maintenance that he has had no signs of water in the gearboxes.

Even if it dose have some hocus pocus to it, the vent is now up pretty hight for every thing. If that gets submerged, you'll probably be sucking water into the intake as well. At that depth I wouldn't be worrying about a little water in my gear oil, more like hydrolock. [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
Even if it dose have some hocus pocus to it, the vent is now up pretty hight for every thing. If that gets submerged, you'll probably be sucking water into the intake as well. At that depth I wouldn't be worrying about a little water in my gear oil, more like hydrolock. [emoji23]

No kidding. ARB explains it more as when the warm gearboxes contact cold water, it creates a vacuum effect inside (air contracting) which can close the factory breather completely and then sucks water in through the actual gear box seals during the vacuum. Who knows? Either way, there is now no valve to close at all, it's 100% open to the air through a filter. Like you said, I also now know that all my breathers are up as high as possible. I can also easily tell if my fluid has water in it just by checking the fill level though.

WJCO

Meme King
Finally got this fan motor installed, Pain in the ass. Definitely can hear it running more. I hope that's it. While I was in there, I replaced the PS pump that's been bad for awhile.

IMG_20170726_181231_601.jpg

IMG_20170726_181316_763.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
New problem. PS fluid leaking from pressure hose where it meets the pump. Leaking between metal line and coupler nut, not leaking through the threads. I tried three different orings, still leaking. I'm done for the night.

IMG_20170726_201129_122.jpg

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Ugh. I hate calling it a night when there's still outstanding problems. Sorry to hear Doug.

Ugh, feel your pain man!

Yeah, it sucks. Hopefully I'll get this thing fixed in the next week or so.

Flex seal :)

Already a step ahead of you :D I actually just got done putting a layer of rtv on that spot and will do another layer in the morning. Doing some research, I've found that the problem appears to be the line itself. It's been updated with a different fitting. Something inside the fitting itself is leaking. Lots of people have had leak issues after moving the line. So until I get a new line on, I'm hoping the RTV will stop the leak.

Well done. Same as you I hope that would be the end of it :)

I hope so too.

Brute

Hooked
New problem. PS fluid leaking from pressure hose where it meets the pump. Leaking between metal line and coupler nut, not leaking through the threads. I tried three different orings, still leaking. I'm done for the night.

View attachment 270012

Try wrapping some teflon tape (or paste) on the threaded fitting (wrapping clockwise if looking directly at the end to keep it from unraveling when threading in)...also, if using o rings, consider tan viton o rings since they have a much higher temp rating

WJCO

Meme King
Try wrapping some teflon tape (or paste) on the threaded fitting (wrapping clockwise if looking directly at the end to keep it from unraveling when threading in)...also, if using o rings, consider tan viton o rings since they have a much higher temp rating

Thanks for the tip. I've come to find out it's actually a design problem with the line. Instead of the threaded fitting sliding on the tube like most lines do, this design doesn't. The threaded fitting and the flare at the end are one piece, it does spin on the tube but does not slide. There is an oring right behind the flare inside but is only there to prevent fluid from migrating to the threads. The actual seal itself between the flare and the line is built into the fitting, it's probably a brass bushing or something. From what I've been reading, if you disturb it and it leaks, the line must be replaced with an updated one. I'll try to take pics when I swap it out.

Top Bottom