WTF - 368 HP 2.0L Turbo I4 JL Wrangler??

Very bummed about not having a v8 option. No way in hell I’d buy a 4 cylinder. V6 is bad enough and here we go even smaller. Kinda pissed actually.

benatc1

Hooked
Not sure how well this will translate to wheeling but for those of us who wheel and prefer to drive a jeep all day this might be kinda nice, plenty of get up and go and likely better Mpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dirtdiver

That looks good on paper. But whats the power cover? Does it build any low end torque? Doesn't do much good if all the power is in the top end.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
The thing is, you need to really rev these things before the turbo boost even kicks in. To me it just seems awkward, and possibly even dangerous, to rely on turbo boosting to get over some obstacle.

But perhaps on desert dirt roads it could be cool...

That’s what I was thinking. It won’t have much low end power. But will be good for daily driving. I may have to pick up a jl.

tengland

That’s what I was thinking. It won’t have much low end power. But will be good for daily driving. I may have to pick up a jl.

Agree. Sometimes I forget how cool Jeeps are just cruising down the strip, totally naked. For tooling around town, a turbo Jeep sure would be an awful lot of fun...

tengland

Man there is a lot of keyboard warriors in this thread. Go and drive a new CLA45 or S60 T6 before talking about low end torque in a modern turbo 4.

I've owned two 90's era twin-turbo rods, both manual transmissions, with probably over 100K miles on both so definitely not a keyboard warrior :)

Having said that, maybe genius technology has truly transformed turbo technology recently and I'm behind on my reading and experience. Thanks for the tip about CLA45 and S60 T6, I guess it's time to learn...

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I've owned two 90's era twin-turbo rods, both manual transmissions, with probably over 100K miles on both so definitely not a keyboard warrior :)

Having said that, maybe genius technology has truly transformed turbo technology recently and I'm behind on my reading and experience. Thanks for the tip about CLA45 and S60 T6, I guess it's time to learn...

It's all good. 400hp from a turbo 4 even 10 years ago would have had plenty of lag but twin scroll turbos, direct injection and 8 or 9 speed transmissions make a big difference.

TrailHunter

Hooked
There is a good possibility these numbers are off .... From what I found (using my keyboard) The new honda & chevy 2.0 turbos are putting out roughly 260 hp & ft lb.... the Mercedes CLA45 is a “handcrafted” twin scroll turbo pushing 375hp at 26lb of boost.... Maybe Jeep really stepped it up.....It will be cool if it’s true... but it still will sound like a kazoo..

Last edited:

Kilroy

Man there is a lot of keyboard warriors in this thread. Go and drive a new CLA45 or S60 T6 before talking about low end torque in a modern turbo 4.

I own a cla 45 yes it's fast and torque is great come on at low rpm but we will see if this comes close to that, torque is what it comes down to and when does it come on. Turbo lag is ok had better. But we will see can't say anything until its out we can speculate all we want but mopar does disappoint sometimes. And what trans is going in 8 speed like my ram hell yes. But it they do a 6 speed even with more power not holding my breath. Now it's now a turbo built motor so it should handle more boost [emoji106] good thing. It all comes down to how fast can you get that boost up and torque.

Tired Bear

Don't know about the Jeep turbo 4 but turbo engines can make low rpm torque. My wife's new Porsche Macan GTS twin turbo 3 liter v6 makes it's peak torque, 369, at 1650 rpm with a very flat torque curve. We can only hope the Jeep 4 will be similar.

kent

I’d be interested to see how the turbos handle in the cold. I know up here, it’s pointless to even try to start a Ford with a turbo, too cold. -30C and they become paperweights.

2012 Rubicon, 2010 Sahara, 1998 Cherokee. Thinking I may have a problem.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Like the diesel, I really like the idea of this new engine. Time will tell if the numbers prove to be true and if it’s worth a damn.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
I’d be interested to see how the turbos handle in the cold. I know up here, it’s pointless to even try to start a Ford with a turbo, too cold. -30C and they become paperweights.

2012 Rubicon, 2010 Sahara, 1998 Cherokee. Thinking I may have a problem.

not anymore, just have to keep a close eye on oil quality and idle the engine before using and after using.

Top Bottom