WTF - 368 HP 2.0L Turbo I4 JL Wrangler??

WJCO

Meme King
There is a good possibility these numbers are off .... From what I found (using my keyboard) The new honda & chevy 2.0 turbos are putting out roughly 260 hp & ft lb.... the Mercedes CLA45 is a “handcrafted” twin scroll turbo pushing 375hp at 26lb of boost.... Maybe Jeep really stepped it up.....It will be cool if it’s true... but it still will sound like a kazoo..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I got 350hp on a 4 wheel dyno with my old 2002 WRX with about 3k in bolt on mods and a good tune. It is crazy what they can do with a 4 cyl turbo nowadays.

Exodus 4x4

I imagine it feeling a lot like the small V6 "eco boost" motors that have been the f150's for a while. On the throttle it responds like a small block V8, when loaded or torque is required you are reminded that you have less than 3.0L of displacement. Have those had any longevity problems?

Yep, happens every time. Like the old saying goes, there’s no replacement for displacement.

4.0 to 3.8 to 3.6 to 2.0?!?

Hey, Jeep! You are going the WRONG way... hopefully they ment SIX point oh...

Spoiling ANY turbo in 4lo is going to be an issue... even with some sort of aggressive timming advance and a lot of noise... on the highway, sure! But I just don't see it happening on the trail without a heavy load on the engine... Time will tell though... I'll be sure to swing by my local jeep dealer and give one a test drive just for kicks though!

sent from SPACE!
DZZ Build thread

Perfectly said.

Vulpine

Very Interesting News

One would wonder now how well said engine would perform at Moab, for instance, considering the likelihood of significant torque boost as well. Then one would have to ask the fuel economy in town and on the highway considering the blocky nature of the Wrangler even with its new, more "aerodynamic" modifications.

My concern is that I no longer need a four-door Wrangler and have no need for a four-door truck (though want an extended cab version.) No news on two-door variants of either model has come out yet, though we've seen a camouflaged 2-door Wrangler in photos.

Ddays

Hooked
I know this is the way the manufacturers are going trying to keep up and meet the corporate CAFE mileage standards, but I'm still not sold on the turbo 4 concept. What surprises me is why Jeep doesn't come out with a special edition
positioned as a premium model even above the Rubicon that has a special engine and offroad specific bits that is geared to the offroad/crawling crowd. Automakers used to shy away from special models (or just threw stickers and wings on something to make a special) but look at what Dodge does with the SRT models and Ford with the SVO division. Hell, Dodge has a SRT Durango this year with a 475HP Hemi. How many of those will they sell? Bet its under 10,000 of them. They would sell a hell of a lot more than that with a "Halo Jeep" model.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Man there is a lot of keyboard warriors in this thread. Go and drive a new CLA45 or S60 T6 before talking about low end torque in a modern turbo 4.

umm... OK???
... it took all of 2 seconds to find out who the keyboard warrior truly is in this case...

So by YOUR example of "low end torque" in a modern turbo 4, it looks like we just have the wheel obstacles and negotiate rock beds at... oh, look at that, upwards of 3500 RPM + in 4lo and hope there is enough load to spool ... :cheesy:

Seems pretty "LOW END" to me :crazyeyes:

CLA45
m133stockvsdpecudyno-1.jpg

S60 R
20060114-S60RvsV50T5vsS40T5Rdyno.jpg

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I got 350hp on a 4 wheel dyno with my old 2002 WRX with about 3k in bolt on mods and a good tune. It is crazy what they can do with a 4 cyl turbo nowadays.

Yeah... without a doubt. I’ve seen them at the drag strip run 1/4 mile... They turn heads for sure!... but then the V8’s step back in the waterbox and all is right in the world again.. lol.. It will be interesting to see what Jeep produces, without Needing that $3k number you just mentioned.

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Yeah... without a doubt. I’ve seen them at the drag strip run 1/4 mile... They turn heads for sure!... but then the 8cyls step back in the waterbox and all is right in the world again.. lol.. It will be interesting to see what Jeep produces, without Needing that $3k number you just mentioned.

I got 468 hp, 505 ft-lbs from my built 2.5ej :thumb: ...But it took 3800 rpm to get things going...

00m0m_hCt4PaWi77q_600x450.jpg

1015244_10151564518194317_523380418_o.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
umm... OK???
... it took all of 2 seconds to find out who the keyboard warrior truly is in this case...

So by YOUR example of "low end torque" in a modern turbo 4, it looks like we just have the wheel obstacles and negotiate rock beds at... oh, look at that, upwards of 3500 RPM + in 4lo and hope there is enough load to spool ... :cheesy:

Not meaning to dogpile but this isn't my idea of an offroad vehicle and its engine performance as shown above is kinda irrevelant to what is needed offroad :thinking:

cla-45-amg.jpg

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Not meaning to dogpile but this isn't my idea of an offroad vehicle and its engine performance as shown above is kinda irrevelant to what is needed offroad :thinking:

View attachment 278659

are you trying to say you don't negotiate a rock beds at a minimum "low end" of 3500rpm :thinking: :idontknow: Guess we've all been doing it wrong... :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
are you trying to say you don't negotiate a rock beds at a minimum "low end" of 3500rpm :thinking: :idontknow: Guess we've all been doing it wrong... :crazyeyes:

LOL, hell ya man! Hold muh beer Cooter and I'll show you how to wheel!

Seriously tho, I know the Ford Ecoboosts make boost low, I'm just not a big fan of turbos for offroad in general. On road, hell ya.

WJCO

Meme King
I got 468 hp, 505 ft-lbs from my built 2.5ej :thumb: ...But it took 3800 rpm to get things going...

Dude, I didn't know you had one of these. Badass. You'll have to start a build thread in the 8th slot. Seriously.

Exodus 4x4

Seriously tho, I know the Ford Ecoboosts make boost low, I'm just not a big fan of turbos for offroad in general. On road, hell ya.

The ecoboost is a great engine and performs well, but compared to its 5.0 V8 counterpart? It’s not the same. Dwiggles is right.

Personally I would just take the money being spent on a JL and do a LS swap.

A fucking mercedes? Really?
No I’m not going to test drive a CLA45 and try and think it’s going to extrapolate the same to a Wrangler.

Look, pretty sure we all get it. Subaru, Honda, apparently Mercedes, you name it. They have the 4 cylinder DOWN. Chrysler, yea not so much...

Much like ford and it’s eco boost. Have any of them lasted beyond a 100k, hell or even half that without a major problem? Shit ass engines with good numbers and trickery sales pitches.

WJCO

Meme King
The ecoboost is a great engine and performs well, but compared to its 5.0 V8 counterpart? It’s not the same. Dwiggles is right.

Personally I would just take the money being spent on a JL and do a LS swap.

Much like ford and it’s eco boost. Have any of them lasted beyond a 100k, hell or even half that without a major problem? Shit ass engines with good numbers and trickery sales pitches.

Seeing a lot of the Ford Ecoboosts (3.5L TT) with blown pistons and rods. Not sure of cause yet, but seen a good 10 of them in the last year or so.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug

True, or even a 1.6L V6 in an F1 car. They are pushing 600+ BHP from the engine alone. But I digress.

Will the turbo spooling issue create a need for different wheeling techniques? My thoughts are that when the turbo does "hit" then the torque grind will really put a stress on the drivetrain components.

No keyboard warrior here, having owned several motorcycles (ram air) and 2 WRX's (turbo), the turbo/air lag is real.

Top Bottom