WTF Things You've Been Told by a Business

bigcale

Caught the Bug
Twice I took my now ex wife's Mazda in to Les Schwab twice for an alignment.

The first time it was after she drove over a curb and it had messed up the alignment. They told me the most out of spec was the passenger side rear had camber issues but nothing was bent. they did, on the other hand, say that the brakes needed to be replaced on the front, and the rears were close. This was amusing as I had done rotors and pads on all 4 corners 6 months earlier. I asked them to show me what was the pads measured and he would not tell me or let me see them. Took the car home and pulled the wheels off and the pads looked almost new.

About a year later I noticed after rotating a new set of tires the first time there was some uneven wear, asked her if she had hit anything again and she said no. I was free one afternoon so took it back to the same place on the off chance they had a warranty for their work, and for the benefit of the doubt that last time there was a mix up about the brakes. I had an appointment and they assured me it would be about an hour so I went across the street for some breakfast and told them to call me and let me know when it was done. Two hours later, I had finished breakfast and a few cups of coffee I had not gotten a call. Walked back over to see what was going on and noticed the car was on a lift and not the alignment rack. The manager came out to talk to me and walked me out to the car, he pointed out that one of the rear links was bent and would need to be replaced and that it had likely bent the shocks as well, and it was going to be $1500 to do the link and all 4 shocks. I asked him why this was not brought up the last time I brought it in since there was rust on the scratches on the link where it bent. Guy told me I had never brought the car in before, so I pulled the receipt out of the glove box. ;)

Never dealing with them again.

Sullivan

While trying to buy a Chevy Duramax diesel in 2008 I was going back and forth with the salesman for about 15 mins. We had just started the price talks when we stood up and said he'd be right back. The manager came over and stood over me like a dad over his kid while I sat in my chair. He then said,
"so do you have to ask your daddy for money or are you going to buy the fucking truck?"
I just stood up (I'm 6'3") and told him "yes I am, but not from you".
2 days later I drove into the parking lot with my new truck and waved at him. I don't know where he got the "ask your daddy" part from, considering I was 31 and own my own construction company, but the dude was out of his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Anvil JKUR

Having warranty work done on a my JK with less than 10K on it and having the service manger tell that they really don't like to do warranty work at that dealership, because ? (We don't make any money doing warranty work.) This is the dealership where I bought the jeep.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I was helping my step dad look for a Cummins diesel truck at dealers. We found one he liked and as we're looking at it, sure enough the salesman comes over. Super confident guy, too. Just to test him, I asked a simple question about what engine was in it. As confident as could be, he said that it had a v10. We told the salesman that we needed more time to think about it. I told my step dad not to buy from these losers.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
While trying to buy a Chevy Duramax diesel in 2008 I was going back and forth with the salesman for about 15 mins. We had just started the price talks when we stood up and said he'd be right back. The manager came over and stood over me like a dad over his kid while I sat in my chair. He then said,
"so do you have to ask your daddy for money or are you going to buy the fucking truck?"
I just stood up (I'm 6'3") and told him "yes I am, but not from you".
2 days later I drove into the parking lot with my new truck and waved at him.

I had a sales manager at a now defunct Jeep dealership follow me out into the parking lot yelling at me for asking for another $1500 off, thinking they'd come down $300-500. He got up in my face yelling and gesturing. I was being really cool, because I was carrying a handgun, concealed. He kept on, until I put my finger in front of his nose, and told him he could tell me to leave the property, but he'd better not threaten me. Then he jumped back and headed to the door, still mouthing off a little. I told him, "Keep walking, bud."

Sharkey

Word Ninja
This will be a great thread.:clap2:

In defense of the accountant though, I understand what he was getting at even if his delivery sucked. Many accountants take on the roll of business advisors, not just tax preparers. This is also true with attorneys, and it is especially true with a lot of small business clients where developing a relationship with the client is extremely important. The ability to get along, have mutual trust, and a good line of open communication, is paramount. It would be very rare for me to take a case for someone I can't stand, regardless of the dollars involved.

longarmwj

I used to work for Chevy, and I was in the service department trying to get info on a recall for a customer I had sold a Tahoe to, and while I was in there I overheard one of the service advisers tell a customer that reason his truck was making a ticking noise and lurching while turning was because the gears in the rear axle were chipped, and that the WHOLE rear axle (housing, shafts, etc he mentioned) had to be replaced, and not under warranty because the axle showed signs of damage. Well after the service adviser walked away I asked the guy his name and walked back into the shop and found the truck with his name on the RO. Diff cover was off so I spun the wheels and looked at the gears. They looked brand spanking new, so I took a video of me spinning them showing zero chipped teeth.

The customer was NOT happy, and the adviser wasn't very happy either when I took that to the service manager and showed him. Both him and the tech were fired for trying to screw the customer over. And I told all my customers to let me know when they came for service so that I could be back there with them. Didn't tell them why, but that's why. I didn't want my customer being screwed over. So glad I got out of that dealership.

The actual problem though? The customer didn't realize the truck was still in 4-hi.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This will be a great thread.:clap2:

In defense of the accountant though, I understand what he was getting at even if his delivery sucked. Many accountants take on the roll of business advisors, not just tax preparers. This is also true with attorneys, and it is especially true with a lot of small business clients where developing a relationship with the client is extremely important. The ability to get along, have mutual trust, and a good line of open communication, is paramount. It would be very rare for me to take a case for someone I can't stand, regardless of the dollars involved.

LOL!! You can understand where he's coming at all day long but the real question is, was a delivery even necessary? Smile, meet the potential client, see if you like them or not and if not, say something like "I really do appreciate you giving me the opportunity to represent you but unfortunately...." But hey, that's just me. :crazyeyes:

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Hahha oh my gosh That's some funny stuff [emoji23] what a joke. They need to take some business classes and learn how to communicate with there potential clients.

ChaosNein

I will be honest, I show up everyday telling myself that I am not going to hurt anyones feelings or tell anyone anything they dont want to hear........ well, I usually fail before lunch :eek:

Lbogart

I called my local off road shop that specializes in Jeeps about replacing my front axle shafts with some new ones and the guy in the shop told me that my TJ does not have axle shafts in the front or back and wanted me to bring it but so he could figure out what I was talking about.... I will not be giving them any business that's for sure!!!

trailless

Caught the Bug
I was shopping for my JK back in 2014. I got the feeling the salesman thought I wouldn't buy that day. I asked him if the 3.6L engines had any issues. He said, nope the engines are rock solid... Anyways, right after the test drive he pawned me off to his coworker. I saw him talking to another couple...

I asked the new sales guy if the 3.6L engines had any issues. He admitted there was a problem with the early batch but Jeep was on top off it. The look on the first salesman's face as I bought the most expensive wrangler on their lot was priceless. [emoji23]

longarmwj

I was shopping for my JK back in 2014. I got the feeling the salesman thought I wouldn't buy that day. I asked him if the 3.6L engines had any issues. He said, nope the engines are rock solid... Anyways, right after the test drive he pawned me off to his coworker. I saw him talking to another couple...

I asked the new sales guy if the 3.6L engines had any issues. He admitted there was a problem with the early batch but Jeep was on top off it. The look on the first salesman's face as I bought the most expensive wrangler on their lot was priceless. [emoji23]

If I may ask, which dealership was this at? I'm in the Atlanta area.

kep01

Last Friday I bought my wife a new dodge truck, after explaining more than once that I didn't want to buy the dealer's shitty extended warranty the finance guy got all butthurt and then proceeded to tell me that he could get me a better interest rate through the dealer. I calmly asked if he could beat 2% he said no. Needless to say I walked out with the new truck my way with no upsales and no doc fees

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailless

Caught the Bug
If I may ask, which dealership was this at? I'm in the Atlanta area.

It was actually in Chattanooga, Crown Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram. They also messed up my seat badly when they were doing warranty work on the leather. The lumbar and side bolster was so messed up that you could hardly sit on the seat... I still had 4 free oil changes but decided it'd be best if I never went back.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
LOL!! You can understand where he's coming at all day long but the real question is, was a delivery even necessary? Smile, meet the potential client, see if you like them or not and if not, say something like "I really do appreciate you giving me the opportunity to represent you but unfortunately...." But hey, that's just me. :crazyeyes:

I tell people all the time that the lawyer/client relationship is as personal (if not more personal) than the doctor/patient relationship. I also tell them that I require a meeting (free of charge) to make sure it is a good "fit" and that they should not engage my services if for any reason they don't feel comfortable after the meeting or don't have 100% confidence in my ability to represent them. The way I deliver the message it is more of me wanting them to be comfortable with me...not the other way around. I wouldn't ever use the word "personality" though.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I tell people all the time that the lawyer/client relationship is as personal (if not more personal) than the doctor/patient relationship. I also tell them that I require a meeting (free of charge) to make sure it is a good "fit" and that they should not engage my services if for any reason they don't feel comfortable after the meeting or don't have 100% confidence in my ability to represent them. The way I deliver the message it is more of me wanting them to be comfortable with me...not the other way around.

LOL!! I have ZERO doubts that if it came from you, it wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eye. And, I totally get what you're saying from a lawyer point of view. In my opinion, accountants are nothing even close to a lawyer, doctor or even preacher - they're just someone who helps me file my taxes. When I had more time on my hands, I used TurboTax to do it myself :yup:

love2wheel

When my wife and I were looking for a wrangler we stopped in a local dealership. Test drove the jeep. Sat down to talk to the salesman and explained what payment and interest rate I was expecting. He gave us the vibe like no problem. He went to the finance guy and came back with a payment of over five hundred a month. Now this was my second time in here. The first time he told me three hundred. So when he came back with that monthly payment. Of course we were like no way in hell. He left. And the finance guy came in there and said.. so, you want a jeep huh. You know, jeeps are like gold. In high demand. It's a big boy payment. And that offer is the only offer. Let me tell you, It's a good thing my wife was there, and was in my way. We couldn't get out of there any faster. About ran her over. I wanted to punch him right in his smug little face. So I drove 45 minutes and picked one up for what we were asking.

Sent from my LGL31L using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom