Ya, I know this is a dead horse, but I've still not decided

Mikead40

And it's the duroflex joints that I'm not real impressed with. I mean, yeah, they allow for a significant amount of rotation but, I can assure you that I have WAY MORE FLEX than your Jeep and I'm just using tried and tested Johnny Joints. I've had the opportunity to do a series of bench tests with uniballs, johnny joints and the duroflex joints and I really didn't like the way the rubber has to rotate inside the un-lubricated joint housing. Of course, we have already been seeing this with them...

View attachment 95498

View attachment 95499

Also, I think they have finally changed the design of their joint housings but only after people started to see this happen...

View attachment 95500

View attachment 95501

That's the problem with new companies trying to do new things. They may have great marketing but really, that's about all they have right now. This is not to say that they won't make improvement in the future but for me personally, I'll stick with what I know works and what Ultra 4 racers use.

Yea, believe me I'm not trying to be a metalcloak cheerleader. I try to be objective and to not be the guy that recommends something only because I spent a bunch of money on it. Also, my experience is limited to the small group that I go off roading with. I've only been doing this for about a year...That said, we recently took the control arms off a jk that had been running the MC control arms for about 2 years almost exclusively off road and the duroflex joints looked great ( that determination was made by someone that has been working on jeeps professionally for over a decade)
I have no doubt that you have more flex in your jeeps than I do - but is that due to other things you have in your build that I do not have - I.e. Coil overs? That's not a sarcastic question - I'm honestly trying to learn.
Either way, comparing my metalcloak control arms to stock - which is what I had before, I'm happy with them. I push them pretty hard, but again I haven't compared them to anything else on my JK - I was just sharing my personal experience.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, believe me I'm not trying to be a metalcloak cheerleader. I try to be objective and to not be the guy that recommends something only because I spent a bunch of money on it. Also, my experience is limited to the small group that I go off roading with. I've only been doing this for about a year...That said, we recently took the control arms off a jk that had been running the MC control arms for about 2 years almost exclusively off road and the duroflex joints looked great ( that determination was made by someone that has been working on jeeps professionally for over a decade)

And as I always like to say, everyone has their own idea of what "wheeling hard" is or how often is really "often". Certainly, I don't think my idea of either is the same as most people but, that's just my opinion.

I have no doubt that you have more flex in your jeeps than I do - but is that due to other things you have in your build that I do not have - I.e. Coil overs? That's not a sarcastic question - I'm honestly trying to learn.

For the most part, your shock length will ALWAYS be the limiting factor in the amount of flex you have. A well designed coil over system will allow for significant more flex than a standard coil and spring setup. IF the Johnny joints were the limiting factor of my flex, I can assure you that I wouldn't need limiting straps to prevent drive line bind. MetalCloak does a great job of marketing and I mean that sincerely but the fact of the matter is, most people really don't need Duroflex joints. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that factory arms with coil overs would offer more flex than any MetalCloak lift. Sure, you would blow them out sooner than later but, it is what it is.

Either way, comparing my metalcloak control arms to stock - which is what I had before, I'm happy with them. I push them pretty hard, but again I haven't compared them to anything else on my JK - I was just sharing my personal experience.

When you were running stock arms, were you running the same coils and shocks that you are now? If not, how can you really know that the MetalCloak arms work better?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
On assembly. How do you lube it afterwards? Take the whole thing apart again or, does their magic lube just work forever? :idontknow:

My time tested and widely used Johnny Joints that DO NOT limit my 14" of vertical travel have zerk fittings.

BTW, I have yet to find the need to rebuild ANY of my Johnny Joints of which I installed back in 2010. That's over 80,000 miles and all the trail runs I've done during that time.

Here's a shot of my Johnny Joints limiting my flex....
main.php

That S turn has to be so much easier in a four door coming down with lockers. Not so much for me. Lol

I have/had the metalcloak lite lift and did like it. Now I kept the arms and went to bolt on coilover and it's like a whole new jeep. It did ride good with just the lift but now it rides great. As for the joints mine only have about 8k miles on it so who really knows how long they will hold up. As with anything when its a fairly new product. If I were to go back and do it again I would have went straight to evo long arm and bolt on coilovers. Like Eddie said metalcloak does have very good marketing and they did talk me into spending my money with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mikead40

And as I always like to say, everyone has their own idea of what "wheeling hard" is or how often is really "often". Certainly, I don't think my idea of either is the same as most people but, that's just my opinion.

For the most part, your shock length will ALWAYS be the limiting factor in the amount of flex you have. A well designed coil over system will allow for significant more flex than a standard coil and spring setup. IF the Johnny joints were the limiting factor of my flex, I can assure you that I wouldn't need limiting straps to prevent drive line bind. MetalCloak does a great job of marketing and I mean that sincerely but the fact of the matter is, most people really don't need Duroflex joints. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that factory arms with coil overs would offer more flex than any MetalCloak lift. Sure, you would blow them out sooner than later but, it is what it is.

When you were running stock arms, were you running the same coils and shocks that you are now? If not, how can you really know that the MetalCloak arms work better?

Absolutely - the stuff you do/see is much more demanding than what I do on a regular basis. Not even close.
I am running the same shocks, but different springs (had RE springs before but the same procomp pro runner shocks). Between the control arm and springs, I'm now able to keep all of my wheels on the ground on trails&obstacles where I had previously had a wheel or wheels come off the ground and/or had to rely heavily on my lockers. That experience is where I guess my overall satisfaction with the metalcloak stuff comes from. Could I have gone with other upgrades and saved money yet had the same results? I guess. But either way, I'm having a blast, learning a lot and looking forward to more. Thanks for the input, and hopefully I didn't muddy the waters too much for the OP. Cheers!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have/had the metalcloak lite lift and did like it. Now I kept the arms and went to bolt on coilover and it's like a whole new jeep. It did ride good with just the lift but now it rides great. As for the joints mine only have about 8k miles on it so who really knows how long they will hold up. As with anything when its a fairly new product. If I were to go back and do it again I would have went straight to evo long arm and bolt on coilovers. Like Eddie said metalcloak does have very good marketing and they did talk me into spending my money with them.

In all fairness, I do believe that they, like any company, has a chance to figure things out and make them better. My only issue is with people who are eager to blindly praise what they run if only because that's what they choose to buy. I'd have a lot easier of time if more people could see things for what they are and be reasonable about their response like you - just be willing to acknowledge that new products are just that, new and untested and that you're just trying to see how they work out. I mean, what can one say to that other than "cool".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely - the stuff you do/see is much more demanding than what I do on a regular basis. Not even close.
I am running the same shocks, but different springs (had RE springs before but the same procomp pro runner shocks). Between the control arm and springs, I'm now able to keep all of my wheels on the ground on trails&obstacles where I had previously had a wheel or wheels come off the ground and/or had to rely heavily on my lockers. That experience is where I guess my overall satisfaction with the metalcloak stuff comes from. Could I have gone with other upgrades and saved money yet had the same results? I guess. But either way, I'm having a blast, learning a lot and looking forward to more. Thanks for the input, and hopefully I didn't muddy the waters too much for the OP. Cheers!

And really, that's all that matters. Getting out and having a good time. :yup:

tweetie7123

I'm a LOSER
And really, that's all that matters. Getting out and having a good time. :yup:

I no this is kinda off topic but what size bolt is it and how much torque dose it need and the best way to tighten it ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1407982975.930438.jpg
Do I need to drop the track bar ???

2013 jkr
And no I did not forget the u in jkr :) 2 door life

In all fairness, I do believe that they, like any company, has a chance to figure things out and make them better. My only issue is with people who are eager to blindly praise what they run if only because that's what they choose to buy. I'd have a lot easier of time if more people could see things for what they are and be reasonable about their response like you - just be willing to acknowledge that new products are just that, new and untested and that you're just trying to see how they work out. I mean, what can one say to that other than "cool".

When I first got the lift I was the same way and defended it, but now that I have moved on to bigger and better parts I do see that they are better. I'm not saying metalcloak parts aren't good because I did like them but the bolt on coilovers made a big difference on and offroad.

Drunic

Being between Detroit and Flint myself, I went with the Rancho sport 2in. Cheap and decent install, with parts you can upgrade later if needed. I love the lift so far, springs are decent over a spacer and the shocks rock. I've gone most places in the hand (UP next year when I get 35's). As for tires, I'm waiting to see the new Toyo R/T. I have 1 buddy who has a JK and we hit ORV parks a few times a year if you're interested sometime.

Tumbleweed

OP, you know there are rocks to play around on at The Mounds, St. Helen scramble area and Rocks & Valley???
There also may soon be a new ORV Park in Oakland County. I went on a test event this past Saturday, 8/9/14. Very nice if it comes to fruition.

You needn't limit yourself to what Michigan has to offer. Badlands in Attica, IN and various places in KY,TN & WV are options as well.

Drunic

So that's what the ORV survey I filled out 2 years ago was for, ORV park in SE MI, Hooray! :clap2: Yea there are a few rocks around here, more break over angle problems on hills if anything on a JKU.

Last edited:

gripenfelter

So this is a very interesting conversation for me.....

I'm about to drop some serious cash on a suspension and was going to be a MC game changer OME. Now I feel I'm back at square one. I'm looking for a robust 3.5" lift that will ride nicely on road, and be fully capable off. I want to make sure I have everything I need in a suspension as well. I'm a do it right the first time kinda guy and been researching this for awhile. I might have gotten caught up in the marketing.........

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

I'm about to drop some serious cash on a suspension and was going to be a MC game changer OME. Now I feel I'm back at square one. I'm looking for a robust 3.5" lift that will ride nicely on road, and be fully capable off. I want to make sure I have everything I need in a suspension as well. I'm a do it right the first time kinda guy and been researching this for awhile. I might have gotten caught up in the marketing.........

What you really should be asking yourself is first, what size tire are you planning on running? That will determine what size lift you'll want to get. Second, you should be asking yourself, how will your Jeep be used and what kind of wheeling do you do? That will determine what kind of components you will want to get and finally, you should be asking yourself what kind of budget do you have to work with? That will determine what you really need.

To say that you just want a 3.5" lift without taking all of the above into consideration is in my opinion, a mistake. There's a real benefit to getting just what you really need as there will always be more stuff that you really want.

gripenfelter

What you really should be asking yourself is first, what size tire are you planning on running? That will determine what size lift you'll want to get. Second, you should be asking yourself, how will your Jeep be used and what kind of wheeling do you do? That will determine what kind of components you will want to get and finally, you should be asking yourself what kind of budget do you have to work with? That will determine what you really need.

To say that you just want a 3.5" lift without taking all of the above into consideration is in my opinion, a mistake. There's a real benefit to getting just what you really need as there will always be more stuff that you really want.

I plan on running a BFG MT KM2 or similiar...basically a small 37"

My jeep is not my daily driver. It will see trails, rocks, street use, and maybe some dunes.

Budget is not a concern, practicality is. Money not spent on suspension can be spent elsewhere.

The only concern is possibly overall height of the vehicle. Since its not my daily, it will be kept in the garage. If I decide on a roof rack, Gobi, then I will have the header heightened to fit the jeep. :)

I didn't read this whole thread so if I'm speaking out of turn please forgive me....

I have MC 3.5 coils and arms. I am fairly happy with the arms, but I don't think I would go with their coils again. The ride and handling is good (to me), but there are some other annoyances that I don't like. I think I would likely buy their arms again, but would run EVO coils. I have installed two sets and I like them more. They also fit the spring buckets better than the MC coils. Mine sometimes "knock" when flexing quickly from one side to another. Also, I like the OME shocks and they have really nice travel for a monotube, but will rust VERY quickly so plan on painting them or clear coating when new.

Edit to add that if you are building a lite rig as I have tried, you can't fully stuff the rear due to the spring rate (or at least I can't). I have shock travel and clearance to go up another two inches in the rear but start to carry the tire before I get to the bump.

Last edited:

DA RUNT

My jeep has stock suspension right now, if I were to add these MC arms would I get a increase in flex? Please don't tell me I'm limited by my shock length..

I would also recommend dragon scales as skid plates. With the new increase in flex due to the powers bestowed upon your joints by magical unicorns you will need them. I can get them here and have them shipped via flying carpet. Let me know if your interested.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I would also recommend dragon scales as skid plates. With the new increase in flex due to the powers bestowed upon your joints by magical unicorns you will need them. I can get them here and have them shipped via flying carpet. Let me know if your interested.

That would be "game changing" to say the least. You take pay pal?

Top Bottom