Ya, I know this is a dead horse, but I've still not decided

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I plan on running a BFG MT KM2 or similiar...basically a small 37"

My jeep is not my daily driver. It will see trails, rocks, street use, and maybe some dunes.

Budget is not a concern, practicality is. Money not spent on suspension can be spent elsewhere.

The only concern is possibly overall height of the vehicle. Since its not my daily, it will be kept in the garage. If I decide on a roof rack, Gobi, then I will have the header heightened to fit the jeep. :)

Okay, that helps a lot and with that said, you can probably run just about any lift out there and be pretty happy with it. At least, when you have nothing else to really compare what you have to, it's hard to know if you could of gotten better.

If budget is no concern, I might recommend that you give something like the EVO DTD and long arm kit. It'll be about as pricey as it gets but, you will have the best money can buy. Of all the lifts I have installed and tested and can even afford to get today, it is what I have chosen to run on both my JK's. It'll be way more than you need but again, if budget is no concern, why not?

If that seems to be a bit much for you, I would still consider getting the EVO bolt-on coil over kit and long arms as it really is the next best thing you can get. It is what I was running on my 2012 up until I upgraded it to the DTD. This is still probably more than what you need and maybe not even really practical for your purposes but, that would be my next recommendation.

Following that, I personally really like the EVO Enforcer kit if only because it just comes with what you need and most importantly, the softest riding coils you can get, period. Paired up with the King shocks they offer, it in some ways offers a better overall ride than the bolt on kit. This is probably a much more practical kit and if that's a priority, it's what I would consider.

Yes, all 3 recommendations have been for EVO but only because of what I have installed and tested over the last 7+ years and based on your lack of a budget concern. There really is nothing out there that's even close to being as good when it comes to coil overs but, when it comes to comes to a standard coil and shock lift, I'm sure you'll get differing opinions as ride quality is 100% subjective. If you like a ride that is a bit more firm, there are plenty of choices to choose from as well and I can help point you in that direction instead.

Last but not least, I run 40" tires on my white JK and I can get it into my standard 7'-0" garage without any problems.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I didn't read this whole thread so if I'm speaking out of turn please forgive me....

I have MC 3.5 coils and arms. I am fairly happy with the arms, but I don't think I would go with their coils again. The ride and handling is good (to me), but there are some other annoyances that I don't like. I think I would likely buy their arms again, but would run EVO coils. I have installed two sets and I like them more. They also fit the spring buckets better than the MC coils. Mine sometimes "knock" when flexing quickly from one side to another. Also, I like the OME shocks and they have really nice travel for a monotube, but will rust VERY quickly so plan on painting them or clear coating when new.

I have heard the coils "knock" or "clunk" even over speed bumps on the way to the mall. It's just the nature of them with the stack of coils at the top. it would probably bug me also.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I would also recommend dragon scales as skid plates. With the new increase in flex due to the powers bestowed upon your joints by magical unicorns you will need them. I can get them here and have them shipped via flying carpet. Let me know if your interested.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I have heard the coils "knock" or "clunk" even over speed bumps on the way to the mall. It's just the nature of them with the stack of touching coils at the top. it would probably bug me also.

I haven't had this, and honestly even the trail clunk is fairly intermittent. Just frequent enough to make me think I have broken something everytime it happens. Honestly, I thought a control arm or trackbar was loose, but after several checks I noticed the wear on the axle perch. I stuffed cardboard in there (temp test) and the issue was resolved.

I have also noticed the coils that are always compressed are starting to rust where the touch and while they don't make noise you can watch the spring vibrate at droop when they come apart. (I think they are starting to stick.)

One of the things I liked was the free length of the MC coils, but I can tell you mine were not as long as advertised. I am close to unseating my rear at full droop. BTW: there is no way to retain the top of the MC coils due to their design.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would also recommend dragon scales as skid plates. With the new increase in flex due to the powers bestowed upon your joints by magical unicorns you will need them. I can get them here and have them shipped via flying carpet. Let me know if your interested.

:cheesy: Okay, now that was funny!! :crazyeyes:

I haven't had this, and honestly even the trail clunk is fairly intermittent. Just frequent enough to make me think I have broken something everytime it happens. Honestly, I thought a control arm or trackbar was loose, but after several checks I noticed the wear on the axle perch. I stuffed cardboard in there (temp test) and the issue was resolved.

I have also noticed the coils that are always compressed are starting to rust where the touch and while they don't make noise you can watch the spring vibrate at droop when they come apart. (I think they are starting to stick.)

One of the things I liked was the free length of the MC coils, but I can tell you mine were not as long as advertised. I am close to unseating my rear at full droop. BTW: there is no way to retain the top of the MC coils due to their design.

I really do appreciate your honest review of what you have experienced so far. You have even gone so far as to cover things I wouldn't have thought about.

gripenfelter

Okay, that helps a lot and with that said, you can probably run just about any lift out there and be pretty happy with it. At least, when you have nothing else to really compare what you have to, it's hard to know if you could of gotten better.

If budget is no concern, I might recommend that you give something like the EVO DTD and long arm kit. It'll be about as pricey as it gets but, you will have the best money can buy. Of all the lifts I have installed and tested and can even afford to get today, it is what I have chosen to run on both my JK's. It'll be way more than you need but again, if budget is no concern, why not?

If that seems to be a bit much for you, I would still consider getting the EVO bolt-on coil over kit and long arms as it really is the next best thing you can get. It is what I was running on my 2012 up until I upgraded it to the DTD. This is still probably more than what you need and maybe not even really practical for your purposes but, that would be my next recommendation.

Following that, I personally really like the EVO Enforcer kit if only because it just comes with what you need and most importantly, the softest riding coils you can get, period. Paired up with the King shocks they offer, it in some ways offers a better overall ride than the bolt on kit. This is probably a much more practical kit and if that's a priority, it's what I would consider.

Yes, all 3 recommendations have been for EVO but only because of what I have installed and tested over the last 7+ years and based on your lack of a budget concern. There really is nothing out there that's even close to being as good when it comes to coil overs but, when it comes to comes to a standard coil and shock lift, I'm sure you'll get differing opinions as ride quality is 100% subjective. If you like a ride that is a bit more firm, there are plenty of choices to choose from as well and I can help point you in that direction instead.

Last but not least, I run 40" tires on my white JK and I can get it into my standard 7'-0" garage without any problems.

I have been looking at EVO, but their suspension kits seemed to lack that middle ground. For a newbie to Jeeps (not to suspensions) the information on their site is incomplete to me and hard to filter through.

I have been looking at their Evo Enforcer, but it seems a little to incomplete to me for the price (where's the adjustability?). It seems it would contain all 8 adjustable arms at least. Maybe that's my inexperience with jeeps. How do you center the axle with out an adjustable track bar at least. Seems it would be needed on the 4" side.

I love to find a kit from them in between the 4" DD Long Arm and the Enforcer 3". Something in the 3-3.5" range, with 8 adjustable arms (non long arm) with adjustable track bars, king shocks, flip kit possibly (if needed).

Coilovers may come eventually, but I feel like I need to be more seasoned before moving to that level.

Last edited:
I really do appreciate your honest review of what you have experienced so far. You have even gone so far as to cover things I wouldn't have thought about.

No problem.... As I have mentioned before I am an open book and I call things like I see them. I REALLY wanted this lift to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I have had some issues. (Remember my roll-bump issue with their rear trackbar and TB bracket?)

I don't want people to get the wrong opinion. I think my lift is nice, and it performs pretty well for both the wheeling and driving I do. But I would not say it is free from issue. Due to my man cave... I have installed and driven a bunch of lift and lift parts. All have some pros and cons, but in reality they all get the job done. Based on my experiences though (COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE), I would buy these components for a spring lift if I were to again.....

EVO Plush Ride Coils
MC or Currie Arms (I actually like the Currie a touch more but I'm still clinging to the idea of the sealed MC joint and zinc chromate finish for us in the rust belt)
Rancho RS9000XL shocks or splurge on Kings

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have been looking at EVO, but their suspension kits seemed to lack that middle ground. For a newbie to Jeeps (not to suspensions) the information on their site is incomplete to me and hard to filter through.

Yup, their website sucks and the info they provide is lacking. They also suck in the marketing department. For me, I can only share what I have learned and experienced over the years. As far as middle ground goes, I personally feel their Enforcer kit is the middle ground.

I have been looking at their Evo Enforcer, but it seems a little to incomplete to me for the price (where's the adjustability?). It seems it would contain all 8 adjustable arms at least. Maybe that's my inexperience with jeeps. How do you center the axle with out an adjustable track bar at least. Seems it would be needed on the 4" side.

The price you are look at is with the King shocks which are outstanding but, totally unnecessary. If you were to price out the kit again with just a good set of Rancho or Bilstein shocks, I think you will find that the price of the kit is significantly more affordable and in a lot of cases, competitive to a lot of the other kits out there. It's a shame that EVO doesn't make this more clear. As far as adjustability goes, how much do you think your axle shifts with even a 4" lift? Your control arms are like the hypotenuse of a triangle and just because you lift your Jeep up 4" doesn't mean that your axle will shift 4" as well. Fact of the matter is, even with 4" of lift, the amount of correction needed is only about 1/4". As far as axle centering goes, you would want to install their draglink flip/track bar relocation kit as that will not only recenter your axle but also correct your steering geometry and by virtue of it, provide better handling. An adjustable front track bar will only recenter your axle.

I love to find a kit from them in between the 4" DD Long Arm and the Enforcer 3". Something in the 3-3.5" range, with 8 adjustable arms (non long arm) with adjustable track bars, king shocks, flip kit possibly (if needed).

While have all new adjustable control arms is nice to have, the question you should be asking, is if they're really needed? I mean, if you have money to burn, I would highly recommend Currie arms as they come with Johnny Joints on both ends and are made extremely well. Adjustable track bars are not needed if you install a drag link flip/track bar relocation kit and the later will provide better handling. Even on both my JK's, I still run factory track bars on purpose and have a myriad of adjustable ones collecting dust in my garage.

gripenfelter

Yup, their website sucks and the info they provide is lacking. They also suck in the marketing department. For me, I can only share what I have learned and experienced over the years. As far as middle ground goes, I personally feel their Enforcer kit is the middle ground.

The price you are look at is with the King shocks which are outstanding but, totally unnecessary. If you were to price out the kit again with just a good set of Rancho or Bilstein shocks, I think you will find that the price of the kit is significantly more affordable and in a lot of cases, competitive to a lot of the other kits out there. It's a shame that EVO doesn't make this more clear. As far as adjustability goes, how much do you think your axle shifts with even a 4" lift? Your control arms are like the hypotenuse of a triangle and just because you lift your Jeep up 4" doesn't mean that your axle will shift 4" as well. Fact of the matter is, even with 4" of lift, the amount of correction needed is only about 1/4". As far as axle centering goes, you would want to install their draglink flip/track bar relocation kit as that will not only recenter your axle but also correct your steering geometry and by virtue of it, provide better handling. An adjustable front track bar will only recenter your axle.

While have all new adjustable control arms is nice to have, the question you should be asking, is if they're really needed? I mean, if you have money to burn, I would highly recommend Currie arms as they come with Johnny Joints on both ends and are made extremely well. Adjustable track bars are not needed if you install a drag link flip/track bar relocation kit and the later will provide better handling. Even on both my JK's, I still run factory track bars on purpose and have a myriad of adjustable ones collecting dust in my garage.

*Taking Notes...

Last concern is the strength of the factory control arms, both upper front and rears left with the Enforcer kit. I'm assuming EVO sees no need in replacing these? Do they assume that the Enforcer is for light wheeling and mall crawling? Seems that there is a huge jump price/complexity wise to the next level in their kits to provide the weekend trail warrior that ability to hit the moderate rocks. Again, excuse my inexperience here...I just want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck in strength, longevity, and capability.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
*Taking Notes...

Last concern is the strength of the factory control arms, both upper front and rears left with the Enforcer kit. I'm assuming EVO sees no need in replacing these? Do they assume that the Enforcer is for light wheeling and mall crawling? Seems that there is a huge jump price/complexity wise to the next level in their kits to provide the weekend trail warrior that ability to hit the moderate rocks. Again, excuse my inexperience here...I just want to make sure I get the best bang for the buck in strength, longevity, and capability.

The Enforcer kit is far from a "mall crawler". MTG has run his in Moab, on the Rubicon, through several long trips in Vegas, and on the 2012 JKX. Replacing the factory control arms is more of a function of needing extra length than needing extra strength. With the height of the Enforcer lift, there just isn't a need to spend the money on other control arms (besides the front lowers).

BChaffins

I would definitely be interested in the ORV parks once I get my JK lift and wheels where I want them. I'm still struggling on the lift kit. I don;t want to go too high and need a bunch of other items to get started. But I'd like a full set of springs and shocks.

Thanks

Being between Detroit and Flint myself, I went with the Rancho sport 2in. Cheap and decent install, with parts you can upgrade later if needed. I love the lift so far, springs are decent over a spacer and the shocks rock. I've gone most places in the hand (UP next year when I get 35's). As for tires, I'm waiting to see the new Toyo R/T. I have 1 buddy who has a JK and we hit ORV parks a few times a year if you're interested sometime.

Drunic

You don't need a lift to play, they play just fine on their own! We just put our lifts on this summer, last 2 years and 8 outings were stock and worked just fine for around here.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
On a somewhat related note, I follow ORE on Facebook, a few months ago Mel posted a video on after market control arms. I checked and its on june 25th. Really great video.. the comments are hilarious also..

BChaffins

I got some great feedback in this question. But *sigh*, I now have added Rancho or Evo to my list of maybe. I guess its mostly due to my technical nature or maybe just because I seem to always take the hard road but I'm just not drawn to spacers. I want springs and shocks as part of my lift project. What I do not want this time is needing to replace my drive shafts. I will be doing the install myself. I guess I just need to pick one and get started. I can always change it later.

The running joke with my wife is that this is my first JK. My first with her anyway. I did have a 69 CJ with w Buick V6 years ago in my previous life. I had a Rancho 4 '' lift on that one. She is already planning on getting this one when I decide that I need something more. I'm one of those lucky guys who's wife is my enabler. She like all the toys too.

MTG

Caught the Bug
*Taking Notes...

The Enforcer kit is far from a "mall crawler". MTG has run his in Moab, on the Rubicon, through several long trips in Vegas, and on the 2012 JKX. Replacing the factory control arms is more of a function of needing extra length than needing extra strength. With the height of the Enforcer lift, there just isn't a need to spend the money on other control arms (besides the front lowers).

But it does do really good at the mall. Just sayin' ;)

Honestly gripenfelter, if you want a great handling jeep both on and off road with little to think/worry about, go with the Enforcer. The biggest decision you'll need to make is which shocks to pair it with. I've yet to meet someone who went with this lift and was dissapointed. :thumb:

Edit: I have over 36,000 miles on the lift, with both 35s and 37s.

gripenfelter

But it does do really good at the mall. Just sayin' ;)

Honestly gripenfelter, if you want a great handling jeep both on and off road with little to think/worry about, go with the Enforcer. The biggest decision you'll need to make is which shocks to pair it with. I've yet to meet someone who went with this lift and was dissapointed. :thumb:

Edit: I have over 36,000 miles on the lift, with both 35s and 37s.

Nice! What shocks did you go with and have you added anything else?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Nice! What shocks did you go with and have you added anything else?

King 2.5s

But as Eddie said above, they are far from necessary. In fact, I installed a set of inexpensive Ranchos while I was getting my Kings serviced, and they rode great around town. The springs are what really make the difference and I do not think you'll find a better ride than the EVO plush rides.

You'll want the draglink flip kit and a new front DS.

Top Bottom