Yosemite getting some new stuff

BeniaminV

The funny thing is a few weeks ago i told her that I need someone to hit my rear bumper so I can replace it with a steel one. Never in a million years would have thought SHE would hit it. Haha. Was hoping someone else would and I could get their insurance to pay for it. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The funny thing is a few weeks ago i told her that I need someone to hit my rear bumper so I can replace it with a steel one. Never in a million years would have thought SHE would hit it. Haha. Was hoping someone else would and I could get their insurance to pay for it. :-(

LOL!! I guess you should be careful what you wish for, you just might get it... but, not in the way you were hoping for :crazyeyes:

Draconianwinter

I have no clue. I keep hearing different things. I hear that the bumper must cover the front tires. Some people saying just partial some are saying there is no requirement for front bumper as long as there is a front bumper. Right now the front bumper I have on now partially covers the front tires. But I want to get a shorter one. This bumper is just because I needed one and it was cheap.

As for the rear bumper a Jeep guy in Wisconsin messaged me on Facebook saying he has a spare stock rear bumper from his rig just sitting in his garage. If I want it I can go pick it up from him. Will be doing that hopefully this weekend. He doesn't live far from my inlaws.

I have seem jeeps in Illinois running stubby bumpers on the front and none on the rear. But if you are concerned about the possible laws concerning them I s would just Google search or even speak with a patrol officer. But I have not seen where there was ever am issue other than most states requiring a front bumper being installed. As far as I can recall the only real issues are that all safety devices be installed and properly working. Things like the crash sensor and air bags of your vehicle came with them originally.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Done states do have varying tie coverage issues. Such as Arkansas rewrites tires to be covered so they are not visible beyond a certain amount of looking down at the top of the tire. Nevada requires mud flaps of your vehicle is a certain hight. Those are the only type of tie coverage laws I ask aware of, but laws can differ between states, so again if unsure ask a police officer or sheriff patrol

BeniaminV

I have seem jeeps in Illinois running stubby bumpers on the front and none on the rear. But if you are concerned about the possible laws concerning them I s would just Google search or even speak with a patrol officer. But I have not seen where there was ever am issue other than most states requiring a front bumper being installed. As far as I can recall the only real issues are that all safety devices be installed and properly working. Things like the crash sensor and air bags of your vehicle came with them originally.

I have seen the same things. But I hear of some people getting hassled by PD for some of the things.

Done states do have varying tie coverage issues. Such as Arkansas rewrites tires to be covered so they are not visible beyond a certain amount of looking down at the top of the tire. Nevada requires mud flaps of your vehicle is a certain hight. Those are the only type of tie coverage laws I ask aware of, but laws can differ between states, so again if unsure ask a police officer or sheriff patrol

Talking to individual officers won't help. Especially in a state like Illinois. Where the state itself can have one law. The county can have a different law contradicting the state law. And then the individual cities/towns will have laws that contradict all the others. You think I may be joking but I'm not a few years ago Illinois set a law allowing people to have window tint on the front driver and passenger side windows of no more than 35% tint. Chicago and some other towns surrounding Chicago decided "yea no we won't allow that." And what use to be a 50 dollar ticket in Chicago after the was legalized by the stated jumped to $275. I know this because before the law passed I had window tints one my car and received a ticket for 50 dollars. After the law passed my buddy got a ticket and it was 275. He went to court with state law in hand and told the judge the ticket was incorrectly issued. Judge told him that city of Chicago doesn't allow window tints. And made him pay the 275 plus court costs.

Hell the same thing is happening with gun laws here. State has no magazine capacity ban. Cook county has a 10 round magazine capacity limit. But Chicago which is a city within cook county within the state of Illinois has a 15 round magazine capacity limit. Now which laws would I have to follow? Yes state law supersedes county and city laws. But when in court it doesn't.

Same thing goes with bumper requirements. And yes it's that bad here with laws.

BeniaminV

IMG_0454.jpg

So I previously had a Rugged Ridge Multi Mount and well it broke. It's all plastic. So I decided to get the 67 Design phone mount pack 3. And holy crap what a difference. Holds my iPhone 7 plus. Kinda wish it was a little deeper due to that fact that I have a mophie case which the back of it is a little thicker. But even with that it still grips the phone great! Highly recommend!

I also tried to install some Rugged Ridge aluminum hood catch. Well install was ok. However the build quality was garbage. For one one of the screws broke inside. The one you're suppose to remove to get to the hex screw on the bottom. Also they didn't fit properly together. Really disappointed in it. Any recommendations on good Hood latches? Really not liking the hood flutter I get on the highway.

BeniaminV

Thank you. Will have to check all those out and see which ones I like. So far from Facebook Jeep groups and here the daystar is a clear winner lol. Will look into it more.

On another note. Someone donated a stock JK rear bumper to me to fix my damaged one. Tried installing it today and well unfortunately there is a screw that the bolt goes into the bumper and the ones on the donated one are missing. I was looking to see if I can remove the ones in my stock damaged one and place them on the donated one and unfortunately can't figure it out.

IMG_0456.jpg here is that screw in talking about that the bolt goes into. That is in my stock original bumper.

IMG_0457.jpg here is the donated bumper. As you can see that metal screw that the bolt goes into is missing :-/.

So my only option right now until I can buy a brand new bumper is to drill a hole in the back of the bumper. Heat up the damaged area and push out that dent. Then use black silicone to fill the hole up.

BeniaminV

Been a while since a posted anything in here. Nothing major done to Yosemite because well saving up for a house. But I did replace my rear bumper with a Smittybilt XRC Gen 2 rear bumper.

IMG_2111.jpg
IMG_2112.jpg
IMG_2114.JPG

I did not install the supplied LED rear lights in the bumper because it was getting late. And the instructions Smittybilt sends out are less than useless. Doesn’t tells you want bolts and washers to use however NOTHING is labeled. And the photos they provide. Yea good luck! I even went on YouTube to see if anyone did an install video of this bumper and the only one I found was the extreme terrain which was no help either. But I do like the bumper!

Top Bottom