PLANNING 2016 Windrock, TN - End of Summer Run

jkwebbie

I my opinion!! I think that any west coasters that read this will not even give it a thought at this point, no matter how many time I read these types of post they just seem rude! call it a northeastern thing or a masswhole thing but the showing of southern hospitality is very disappointing.

I couldn't agree more. My plan(s) at this point do not include a southern swing. It's easier for me to plan something in the MI, IN, OH, & PA area and it doesn't seem like the south wants anyone but themselves in this ride.

I know this isn't the feeling of everyone, but it is the feelings of enough at this point that I am no longer interested in being a part of it.

Not to be a middle man, but im thinking (hoping) that what jkwebbie was trying to say, is that a west coaster could do something similar to the trek yall made to the rubicon run. At least, thats how i read it. If thats not how it was meant, then im claiming my Michigan roots. Lol.

That's actually what I was saying. I know that Noroad made the trip all the way to the Rubicon and stopped on the way back at some pretty cool places (I stalk you on Instagram lol). But I didn't mean to sound like an asshole or anything. I'm just saying, that if I was going to take that long of a drive to come to Windrock like those guys would be taking, I would plan to hit some other places on the way back, especially when they would be passing by places like Moab and everything. I mean I would love to make a small JKX for everyone to do and show the west coast guys our places, but I personally think that would be a shit ton of traveling for them. If it was me, I would rather stay at a place like Windrock for a few days instead of bouncing around from state to state for a week and also have to drive home to the west coast. But that's just me

Not to be a middle man, but im thinking (hoping) that what jkwebbie was trying to say, is that a west coaster could do something similar to the trek yall made to the rubicon run. At least, thats how i read it. If thats not how it was meant, then im claiming my Michigan roots. Lol.

First, our trek west was a vastly different thing. There are many iconic destinations and trails out west. That isn't the case out here. Second, Eddie, Cindy, and the other west coast crew DID help us plan our trip and made it vastly more than we would've done it on our own. Some of it was in PMs and texts but a bunch was right in the thread and its one of the big reason we shared our journey. They were a part of it with us and that is one of the major things that made it so great.

I ask this.... Have you ever traveled into a area and on the last day learn from a local where you should've been spending your time? I have and it sucks. I want anyone traveling to get the most out of their time out here and have a great trip.

I want to return the favor to any willing to make the journey from west to (mid)east. I want to be a part of helping them with an epic week like what we had and show them a different type of terrain and wheeling than they are used to. I want their time and money traveling to be put to the best possible purpose and I feel a local's insight is the best means.

It doesn't sound like that is the desire for many on this run and that's okay... Y'all can have your thing, without me.

That's actually what I was saying. I know that Noroad made the trip all the way to the Rubicon and stopped on the way back at some pretty cool places (I stalk you on Instagram lol). But I didn't mean to sound like an asshole or anything. I'm just saying, that if I was going to take that long of a drive to come to Windrock like those guys would be taking, I would plan to hit some other places on the way back, especially when they would be passing by places like Moab and everything. I mean I would love to make a small JKX for everyone to do and show the west coast guys our places, but I personally think that would be a shit ton of traveling for them. If it was me, I would rather stay at a place like Windrock for a few days instead of bouncing around from state to state for a week and also have to drive home to the west coast. But that's just me

....Windrock is nice, but it's hardly justification for a cross county trip. "But that's just me"

First, our trek west was a vastly different thing. There are many iconic destinations and trails out west. That isn't the case out here. Second, Eddie, Cindy, and the other west coast crew DID help us plan our trip and made it vastly more than we would've done it on our own. Some of it was in PMs and texts but a bunch was right in the thread and its one of the big reason we shared our journey. They were a part of it with us and that is one of the major things that made it so great.

I ask this.... Have you ever traveled into a area and on the last day learn from a local where you should've been spending your time? I have and it sucks. I want anyone traveling to get the most out of their time out here and have a great trip.

I want to return the favor to any willing to make the journey from west to (mid)east. I want to be a part of helping them with an epic week like what we had and show them a different type of terrain and wheeling than they are used to. I want their time and money traveling to be put to the best possible purpose and I feel a local's insight is the best means.

It doesn't sound like that is the desire for many on this run and that's okay... Y'all can have your thing, without me.

I completely agree. And yes, having some locals assist in the planning is a key factor. I know you all had a ton of behind the scenes help putting that trip together and thats amazing. I was just trying to put a little water on the embers before any animosity cane about. Like we said at the very begging of this thread, i think that this End of summer run, and a potential multi-destination trip are going to have to be separate deals. Planning a trip, as you know, to include people driving cross country will require alot more than saying "hey lets all meet at X location on X day and go wheeling". And you may be right, some many want to just post a trip and let those out west fend for themselves, but i am not one of those people for sure. Id love for anyone out west to come check out what the east has to offer. Its a whole different ball game, and everyone should be invited...

Edit: sorry im not good at separating paragraphs. Lol

Last edited:
....there is no animosity on my part. I just think we may have different goals. Like I said, that's fine. I agree that this is better as two separate things and still plan to start another thread for the "tour". I just don't have enough information to do so yet. This really isn't something that needs to clutter up this thread any longer.

I should have more information after labor day and we can continue the discussion in that thread once it is created. :yup:

Yuppp
*take note- not an actual east coast event...
Ha! Ok, Mass is east coast.... how about east...of the mississippi? Lol
....there is no animosity on my part. I just think we may have different goals. Like I said, that's fine. I agree that this is better as two separate things and still plan to start another thread for the "tour". I just don't have enough information to do so yet. This really isn't something that needs to clutter up this thread any longer.

I should have more information after labor day and we can continue the discussion in that thread once it is created. :yup:
I like it. Boom goes the dynamite.

bsimon187

Like I stated earlier- I would be all for a week adventure hitting up some great parks in the Carolinas, tn, ky, and Al. We have some great parks out here. If we need to make a separate thread and start planning I am all for it.

For a weekend, one park is good enough, Windrock is a great park to do that at.

I will see about starting a thread for a bigger event unless someone else wants to take the lead on that.

Like I stated earlier- I would be all for a week adventure hitting up some great parks in the Carolinas, tn, ky, and Al. We have some great parks out here. If we need to make a separate thread and start planning I am all for it.

For a weekend, one park is good enough, Windrock is a great park to do that at.

I will see about starting a thread for a bigger event unless someone else wants to take the lead on that.

Yup. And im thinking Jay was gonna ride that horse, but i could be wrong.

Yup. And im thinking Jay was gonna ride that horse, but i could be wrong.

Yes, I will be putting together a multi-day, multi-stop, trip. This was an idea that I (prematurely) brought up in this thread after some conversations Andrew (noroad) and I had. I have not decided on the destinations, but it will not likely be in the south (at least not all of them).

It's a free country though, so anyone can plan a separate trip if they wish :yup:

bsimon187

Yes, I will be putting together a multi-day, multi-stop, trip. This was an idea that I (prematurely) brought up in this thread after some conversations Andrew (noroad) and I had. I have not decided on the destinations, but it will not likely be in the south (at least not all of them).

It's a free country though, so anyone can plan a separate trip if they wish :yup:

Sounds good.. Be glad to assist if I can in anyway.

thardy

Banned
Well things have gone slightly different than I had anticipated with this thread. My starting this thread was not intended to create divide within the forum. I simply wanted to get opinions from those that were able to attend at Uwharrie, and those that would be interested in joining this event in the future, to discuss things that were liked, disliked, or wanted to add to the event for next year.

As I stated in the original post of this thread, I labeled this event as East Coast simply due to the location in which it will take place. The event is open to any and all Wayalife members. I know that any members that wanted to make the long journey to this event, once details are worked out, are welcome and I (as well as some others) would be more than happy to assist in making it worthwhile. It would be awesome to be able to meet some of the members from all over.

To Andrew, Julie, Jay, and any others that took offense to anything some have posted in this thread, I can assure you that the way those post were taken do NOT reflect my intentions with the event as a whole. I would love for you all to want to attend the event next year. Please let me know if you, or any other member are in the SE and I would be happy to help you in anyway along your journey.

Event related: As of now I have a good game plan for three different options and working on all three to see what will work out best. Once I am able to nail down an actual plan I will start a thread with details and groups for the event.

For now, a shot of honey to all!!

My starting this thread was not intended to create divide within the forum.

Nor was it mine in posting the idea of the tour leading up to it.... Actually the intention was quite the opposite. (I know you know this, but I wanted others to read it too.)

thardy

Banned
Now, to get this thread back on track. As of right now, talks are on going with the venue for this run. Looking for date do's and don'ts. I'd really like to be able to back it up to allow for cooler weather, but I know that can really affect those with kids, and teachers, due to school being back in. SO, suggestions are welcome. Also, if there is anyone that would be coming in for this event, be it out west, or from anywhere else, please feel free to throw in your preferred timelines as well. Obviously I won't be able to make everyone happy, but I will do my best. :yup:

KYRubi

I'd be very interested in this trip next summer. I love wheeling in this area.

If you're going to do multiple sites and you are interested in what some of the trails look like in KY in the Red River Gorge, Natural Bridge area, or the new off road park, Hollerwood, that is supposed to open up this fall, you can check out these GoPro videos. The ones from Hollerwood are from the sponsership ride at the end of July this year. I must warn you though, my video skills are not up to par with the Wayalife videos.

Slade KY and Hollerwood

thardy

Banned
We have officially been penciled in at Windrock for August 25-28, 2016! Once I have ironed out the details I will start an official thread. The plan will be to have official rides taking place on both Friday and Saturday. Friday's rides will more than likely have varying start times to allow for people coming in on Friday to join.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
We have officially been penciled in at Windrock for August 25-28, 2016! Once I have ironed out the details I will start an official thread. The plan will be to have official rides taking place on both Friday and Saturday. Friday's rides will more than likely have varying start times to allow for people coming in on Friday to join.

Awesome! It is going onto my calendar. :yup:

Top Bottom