Tumbler Begins: '17 JKUR HR

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Skids installed! That wasn't too terrible of an install. I would've had an easier time with a lift but whatcha gonna do?? Hopefully tomorrow I can get my CB installled after a half day of work.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
So during the Rausch Creek run, we began noticing a rattling sound in the right front at roughly the mid point of the day right after lunch. When we got to a stopping point a little later a few of us quickly noticed the flex joint moving back and forth/left to right at the frame mount. Steve was kind enough to put an impact on it back in the parking lot to make sure we weren't gonna lose a bolt on the way home. Upon further inspection the retaining ring fell out and the joint would pretty much fall apart if the bolt weren't going through everything holding it in all in place. I'm hoping it's just a fluke and that it can all be reassembled, but to be safe I left a VM with JKS just to have it on record. Right now the flex joint is twisted and nothing is moving dramatically so when I get home I'm gonna pull the arm to try and put it back together and regrease the joint. Not a good JKS showing for my first run ever with this also being the first real action for these arms. Other than that though, I was impressed overall with the capabilities of the Wrangler. I have zero frame of reference, so everything I've been hearing about the Wrangler was fully realized this past Saturday. And experiencing from behind the wheel was exhilarating! Consider my cherry popped and me fully hooked! :D Even the stock Jeeps on this run were killing it and the few times they got hung up were clearance/height issues which are easily remedied.

Thanks again to EVERYONE there for an awesome day and not making this "newb" feel out of place at all. :thumb:

IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

*pics borrowed from the other thread.

Last edited:

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Glad you enjoyed your first run and hope to see you out for more! I had a similar experience with the snapring popping out if johnny joint on my old enforcer lift. Good luck getting the snapring back in as i was unsuccessful when it happened to me.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^ thanks! I'm gonna stop and get a couple tools on the way home to try and salvage the parts and reassemble it. It was nice meeting and talking with you out on the trails and hope to run into you again out there soon. :cool:

scull20

Just went through this thread. After seeing it all in detail, and seeing the rig in action this last weekend, it's awesome! Glad to hear the joint problem has a solution in sight. Hope to see ya out at Rausch again soon.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^^ thanks guys, I hope to make it out next time and get to know everyone a bit better.

Well here's some pics of the issue. I've already disassembled the joint cleaned it up, took a wire brush on the bench grinder to the flex ball and got it reassembled. Need to add some grease and reinstall. I'm hoping JKS will just send me a new washer and retainer ring. The bushings (?) inside the joint are in perfect condition. I think with what I've done tonight, that I can get through a week or two of daily driving until I can install a new washer, that was a bit tattered but I was still able to get the ring back in. I'll go out tomorrow and put the arm back in and take her for a spin.

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2484.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2487.jpg

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
I finally had an opportunity to install the EVO hinge last night. Overall I'm happier with it than Quadratec's version (Tactik branded) of the Rugged Ridge hinge. The install wasn't bad but took a good bit longer than the Tactik because there was more that required assembly. I think that the powder coating could use improvement as a couple spots on the body mounts were already chipped right out of the box. I think better packaging would help with that as well. The hinge is really robust and I like the built in mount for the CB antenna. I need a longer T-50 torx bit to get the outer bolts for the body mounts tighter. One thing I wish they had done is make the body mount larger to fill in the impression in the body since I can see some spots where there is no body color around the mounts. Usually the plastic trim on the factory hinges covers all that. I think I will do a tape job in the area and spray some plasti-dip around the hinge to clean that all up. I also removed my CB antenna for now and installed a rubber foot from Lowe's on the spring to keep dirt and water out of the threads. I'll bungee the antenna to the roll bar to keep handy for off road trip. I'm starting to put together a list of tools to purchase to keep on hand for those trips as well. I already purchased a couple of Bosch impact wrenches (18v 1/2" drive & 12v 3/8" drive). I know Milwaukee makes some kick ass power tools but I've got a ton of Bosch tools already for work and the 1/2" impact still produces 185 ft/lbs.

IMG_2695.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

IMG_2700.jpg

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2704.jpg

IMG_2706.jpg

Last edited:

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Next up is removal of my push button start switch to send it out to get modded and it will be returned with the all the modules to activate the PBS/PKE system that if discussed in past posts.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Ordered a roof Spiderweb Shade in grey along with the Delrin door hinge inserts, and Daystar hood latch straps (?) from Quadratec today. I hope to install everything Saturday. The Daystar parts just replace the rubber portion of the factory latch. I hope that will reduce the flutter on the highway. I don't mind the look of the factory ones so I didn't need anything too expensive.

IMG_1648.JPG

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
Thanks! I'm loving the twill top! Pulled the windows out yesterday and today and was loving every minute of it. I wanted to install the hinge inserts before too many seasons went by and I had issues removing the doors. I would like to buy tube doors before long and like Nalpam, I'm leaning towards the Ranchos.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ordered a roof Spiderweb Shade in grey along with the Delrin door hinge inserts, and Daystar hood latch straps (?) from Quadratec today. I hope to install everything Saturday. The Daystar parts just replace the rubber portion of the factory latch. I hope that will reduce the flutter on the highway. I don't mind the look of the factory ones so I didn't need anything too expensive.

View attachment 259117

You didn't get the qtech delrin liner did you?

BobNH

View attachment 259117
I put those Daystars on mine and never looked back. Daaaammmmmn scary on the highway before. I was told I could just remove the spring, but first not likely lol and second it had a lot of movement; I don't think the spring removal would have done it. Certainly not to my comfort.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

AZ Explorer

Caught the Bug

View attachment 259117

If you like the factory ones appearance wise, then you'll love these. I have never heard a negative thing about them, just that they do their job and for a lot better price than the other options.

Top Bottom