Artec truss and gussets

2trackin

Mine is going on tonight. Or at least starting it tonight. Axle is out and on the bench. Prep work done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

2trackin

I'll do my best. It's being done in a friend's garage. His father is an engineer for machining equipment. Needless to say we have all we need to minimalise any bending.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
wow..had to get the hip waders and big shovel before getting to the end of the posts...lots of aggression..

I've often wondered why, when someone is successful in achieving something that counters popular opinion, lines on in the sand get drawn and aggression ensues.

I appreciate when someone has succeeded and describes how much work and thought went into it to make it a success. Majik you think more like I do, just because there is probably a high rate of failure doesn't mean everyone will fail and it's a learning process to try different things to mitigate failure, also taking into consideration the cost of failure. You have skills and access to tools many of us wish we had.

Pig, your axle got warped even though it was installed by a professional, even professionals have bad days, that doesn't mean someone with skills has no business attempting a task where they choose to accept the risks. Nowhere in any of the posts did I get the impression I could achieve this on my own even with the tools have or have access to. I think people are aware of their capabilities and how much risk they are willing to take. I get it, you tried, it failed and you're pissed.

All I see Majik doing is stating what he did to keep himself in check to minimize bending, no where did I get the idea that he was promoting anyone could do it with success every time. Even the professionals have a different way of doing things as it seems no one has come up with a 100% success rate proof way to accomplish the end goal. Seems the common warning when welding on axle housings is watch your heat, go slow, alternate and figure out a way to check your work as you go. I for one appreciate the attention to detail provided and the amount of thought.

I'm sure Eddie has had his share of high-end parts fail, I say Eddie because he wheels hard, has the opportunity to see more components in action and has used a wider range of options most of us never will.

Stuff fails.

As for 'pat on the back' why not, we congratulate those who get their new rides, achieve a trail or install the simple things, so why not when they succeed in something that's not the norm.

All this to say - just because there are failures, doesn't mean no one should try....and no need to attack those who do try. It's their money, risk and ultimately their decision. They are merely posting on here to share with others.

now go drink a beer and have a good laugh....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
wow..had to get the hip waders and big shovel before getting to the end of the posts...lots of aggression..

I've often wondered why, when someone is successful in achieving something that counters popular opinion, lines on in the sand get drawn and aggression ensues.

If you are referring to anything I might have said to majik, I think it should be noted that he has since sent me a PM to apologize for not making his comments more clear and specifically pointed out that they WERE NOT intended toward me. He also understood that my response to him was based on this misunderstanding.

I appreciate when someone has succeeded and describes how much work and thought went into it to make it a success. Majik you think more like I do, just because there is probably a high rate of failure doesn't mean everyone will fail and it's a learning process to try different things to mitigate failure, also taking into consideration the cost of failure. You have skills and access to tools many of us wish we had.

All I see Majik doing is stating what he did to keep himself in check to minimize bending, no where did I get the idea that he was promoting anyone could do it with success every time. Even the professionals have a different way of doing things as it seems no one has come up with a 100% success rate proof way to accomplish the end goal. Seems the common warning when welding on axle housings is watch your heat, go slow, alternate and figure out a way to check your work as you go. I for one appreciate the attention to detail provided and the amount of thought.

To be clear, Majik DOES have sleeves installed. That's all I was trying to point out. To the average Joe who might want to give this a try, I think it's important for them to know as much as it will make a difference. To suggest that it wouldn't is a mistake in my opinion.

I'm sure Eddie has had his share of high-end parts fail, I say Eddie because he wheels hard, has the opportunity to see more components in action and has used a wider range of options most of us never will

Stuff fails.

Indeed, it does. But, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about installing a new part to help prevent the bending of an axle. What I've been trying to share is the fact that doing so CAN, as in, it is possible to BEND an axle during installation. I would think that there are people that might want to know of this possibility. But hey, that's just me.

As for 'pat on the back' why not, we congratulate those who get their new rides, achieve a trail or install the simple things, so why not when they succeed in something that's not the norm.

So do it. Nobody's stopping you. Or, are you one of those politically correct types that think everyone should feel obligated to pat others on the back just to make everyone feel good about themselves? As far as success goes, I will remind you yet again that Majik had sleeves installed. While he was successful in getting his truss installed with minimal effect, I think it is important to note that sleeves will have made a difference. I still take issue at the fact that he discounted it's relevance as it may convey to the average Joe that they will have the same success without them. And who knows, maybe they will but, facts and accurate information are tools that I think everyone can benefit from especially if they plan on taking on a task like this.

All this to say - just because there are failures, doesn't mean no one should try....and no need to attack those who do try. It's their money, risk and ultimately their decision.

You're right, just because there are failures doesn't mean people shouldn't do whatever it is they want. Of course, in spite of what you choose to believe, posting up about failures or possible problems doesn't equal attacks on those who do try it. In the end, it is their money and their risk and ultimately their decision.

They are merely posting on here to share with others.

Newsflash, and so are guys like me. I'm just posting on here to share with others. This is after all, a FORUM. You know, a place where people discuss things and in my perfect world, a place where everyone DOESN'T agree with each other all of the time.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Pig, your axle got warped even though it was installed by a professional, even professionals have bad days, that doesn't mean someone with skills has no business attempting a task where they choose to accept the risks. Nowhere in any of the posts did I get the impression I could achieve this on my own even with the tools have or have access to. I think people are aware of their capabilities and how much risk they are willing to take. I get it, you tried, it failed and you're pissed.

Here's where you are wrong. I don't care about the factory axle. I know it has a very short shelf life and it would not last very long anyways. If the tubes don't bend, the locker will. I knew the risks of the truss. I had other reasons for installing it. It's not even the installers fault.

I have enough experience talking tech to jk owners, TJ owners etc, to know they do not know there personal mechanical abilities. I'm not saying you should not try new things. However some installs are not for the home installer. Let's face it, the JK owner is not the average jeeper. Most are new to the sport and can get over their heads without even knowing it.

I'm not sure the risk out weights the benefits. But hey, I hope everyone tries it, and proves me wrong.

I know plenty of shops that won't even touch this task, I guess they need to read the forums more.

jeeeep

Hooked
If you are referring to anything I might have said to majik, I think it should be noted that he has since sent me a PM to apologize for not making his comments more clear and specifically pointed out that they WERE NOT intended toward me. He also understood that my response to him was based on this misunderstanding.

Not referring to anyone - I was just generalizing...overall tone just seemed to go downhill in a hurry ...but that's just my opinion

To be clear, Majik DOES have sleeves installed. That's all I was trying to point out. To the average Joe who might want to give this a try, I think it's important for them to know as much as it will make a difference. To suggest that it wouldn't is a mistake in my opinion.

Yes, I understood he had sleeves installed and that 'may' have made a difference.

Indeed, it does. But, that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about installing a new part to help prevent the bending of an axle. What I've been trying to share is the fact that doing so CAN, as in, it is possible to BEND an axle during installation. I would think that there are people that might want to know of this possibility. But hey, that's just me.

I wasn't clear enough, I was referring to other components we add to our rigs in trying to improve something only to find out it made matters worse or didn't work as intended - of course an axle truss is high on the $$$$ of cost of replacement if it gets hosed

So do it. Nobody's stopping you. Or, are you one of those politically correct types that think everyone should feel obligated to pat others on the back just to make everyone feel good about themselves? As far as success goes, I will remind you yet again that Majik had sleeves installed. While he was successful in getting his truss installed with minimal effect, I think it is important to note that sleeves will have made a difference. I still take issue at the fact that he discounted it's relevance as it may convey to the average Joe that they will have the same success without them. And who knows, maybe they will but, facts and accurate information are tools that I think everyone can benefit from especially if they plan on taking on a task like this.

i'm far from pc lol, but why was it was even brought up to begin with??? anyway I was just making the general comment that if you (not personally you) feel like giving someone a "good job" do it

You're right, just because there are failures doesn't mean people shouldn't do whatever it is they want. Of course, in spite of what you choose to believe, posting up about failures or possible problems doesn't equal attacks on those who do try it. In the end, it is their money and their risk and ultimately their decision.

I agree, issues and failures should be addressed, that's why a lot of us are here before we attempt or make that next upgrade - to get viewpoints. All I was getting at was the emotional level this topic took on. again, just my observation and opinion

Newsflash, and so are guys like me. I'm just posting on here to share with others. This is after all, a FORUM. You know, a place where people discuss things and in my perfect world, a place where everyone DOESN'T agree with each other all of the time.

exactly why all of us are here, to read and share with others...it would be very boring if everyone agreed with everyone.

Last edited:

Majik

I'm glad to see that the tone of this has calmed a bit. My original post was never meant to point at Eddie, or anyone in particular. I think my error was posting my 'other' thoughts in the second paragraph of a post where I was replying to Eddie happily. (regarding trying it again on an axle without sleeves if I can find a scrap one) The second paragraph was not intended to be pointed directly at him, and I think that's what spawned verbal retaliation from others. I will however, stand by my position that there ARE several posters that really should take a second look at the tone of their posts before hitting 'send'. It's just courtesy. Warning a guy that is excited about his new mod of the potential problems he could run into is AWESOME and what a forum is for. Telling him that he's deluding himself or a douchebag for even considering doing it himself is quite another. That was my original point.

I hate good threads that turn into this and apologize for being the instigator of this little rant. I'll keep my future posts to a minimum.

Last edited:

JKbrick

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390000825.717123.jpg
Is that a solid steel rod sticking out the end of the axle? I've seen that done when the shop I go to changes pivot point bushings on heavy equipment to keep them in alignment with each other. I wondered if that wouldn't help possibly, not that I'm going to truss my axle, I already sleeved mine before I found out it is not a foolproof thing to do

Mustafa

Sweet im glad you did this, ill be doing it this spring before it hits Moab hopefully. We did a lot of welding to the AAM axles in my pull truck to help withstand the pressures it was subjected too without any issues . Im going to do the same set up you have the upper Gusset C braces Lca brackets and sleeves for the 375 bucks its worth every penny Imo. But again I do all my own work so im not paying a shop to do it either.

cis911

I picked some up for the d44. Plan to remove the the axle for best access to clean up and weld. I personally wont be doing the welding, although I have done alot myself. I just dont have the equipment, so a friend of mine will be doing it for me.
Has anyone else done these and have any helpful advice. Other than the obvious welding no no's.
For anyone that is unaware, this is what I bought. Well, just the truss and gussets, not the trackbar mount.
View attachment 64624
If you haven't done so yet, this would be a good time to upgrade your ball joints if they haven't gone bad yet. I had my bud weld lower control arm skids and gussets with the old ball joints on pressed the new synergy ones in and called it a day. I actually had this truss sitting in my garage and ended up selling it lol. Too many horror stories, plus all the professionals that I asked to weld my truss on weren't going to install it like the picture Eddie posted. I didn't want to risk it on my 2013 jkr. Oh if you are keeping the stock ball joints without removing them be careful not to damage them, I think if you YouTube evo gussets you will find a good video of Mel installing a set. Well I'm not sure if I was any help, have a kick ass day :beer:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Elusive

Mine went in today. Lots of work. Straight axle. Perhaps sleeves and proper welding are the key to this.
ma3uragy.jpg

e8evajes.jpg

Yanked it out and test fit to see where to grind
ubydapuz.jpg

I decided it was a good time to weld the sleeves in properly since my drill died when I put them I'm the first time. Then I tacked it all up
rugu5e5a.jpg

ataha7uq.jpg

I decided a little pre load couldn't hurt. And I reallllly took my time
Y
dy8a6ady.jpg

It's important to relieve stress on the cast welds. The proper way is nickel rod and pre/ post heat but this was good for me.
game3a8u.jpg

I knocked out rebuilding the control arms while waiting for the axle to cool. I also ate lunch and waited, went for paint and waited......
ugu8e5ys.jpg

Almost...
yhetateh.jpg

Didn't get it done. Only have the calipers and driveshaft left but I promised the wife date night. With the axle level the vaster and camber are the same and the straight edge looks good. I guess tomorrow will tell.

Elusive

The whole day. I was doing all the other things im between. I did take a 2 hour break and help my dad on his hot rod and I also took a little extra time drilling the holes for the sleeves. It probably could have been done faster but not less than 4 hours of you are careful

pvanweelden

The key is taking your time, if you pay someone to do it, they will try to do the whole thing in that set amount of time, and that will bend it. If you can do only a little bit at a time, then leave it, come back later and do some more, it will be ok. If you hope for your axle to stay straight, plan on taking all day or even 2 days to fully weld the truss on.

Mikes Offroad

Awesome job looks great, I did the same thing I had it o the bench for two days while I swapped a bunch of other parts on the Jeep. What welder did you use to burn it on?

Elusive

I have a 12 year old miller 175. It's a 220 MIG. The welds look kind of crappy because I have a hard time joining all the stiches together and making the bead look decent.

Mikes Offroad

I have been running 37's for almost three years, 2.5 of those were on a 44 with sleeved tubes. Haven't wheeled much with the new 44 and truss yet. Main reason it has been -52c with the wind for about 3 weeks. I havent bent anything yet (not a throttle down type of wheeler though).

Top Bottom