Evo Rock Star Skids

Hey guys. I just did this install today and everything went smoothly until it came time to reinstall my control arms. I thought my axle would stay in the same spot since I had it on jack stands, but it looks like it rotated backwards about 1 1/2 inches because now I can't get either control arm back in. Has anyone else had this much movement and what did you do to get the arms back on? I have heard ratchet straps to rotate the axle while it is on stands just wondering if anyone else tried this?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Hey guys. I just did this install today and everything went smoothly until it came time to reinstall my control arms. I thought my axle would stay in the same spot since I had it on jack stands, but it looks like it rotated backwards about 1 1/2 inches because now I can't get either control arm back in. Has anyone else had this much movement and what did you do to get the arms back on? I have heard ratchet straps to rotate the axle while it is on stands just wondering if anyone else tried this?

Lower the axle one side at a time.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
You can try jacking up the diff at the pinion, that will rotate it. Be very careful it doesn't fall off jack stands obviously

A.J.

Did this today also. One side at a time. No problems. If you need to rotate the axle though try blocking the tires and pushing against them a bit. Works best if you have a buddy to help.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've had this happen, if you can't find someone to help you, take a strap and a couple of 2x4.s long enough to extend a little past the front of the pinion and about a foot past the back of the pumpkin and an extra floor jack.

Use the strap and tie the pinion to the stacked 2x4's, I also wrapped a strap around the axle tubes and 2x4's to make sure the 2x4's didn't shift as I was jacking them up.

I used 2x4 as wood is more forgiving and won't damage the diff cover or pinion.

Don't strap on the yoke! strap on the housing only

use the floor jack to jack up the end of the 2x4 on the pumpkin side, it doesn't take much to get the axle to rotate down, also be careful not to walk the axle off the jack stands as you begin to rotate it.

Here's a rough sketch

rear_axle.jpg

Perfect, I like visuals! I'll try that, just I will be jacking up on the driveshaft side because I need to rotate my axle forward and up.

jeeeep

Hooked
if you need to rotate it up just use a woodblock and your scissor jack, as you rotate it up it'll move it forward

chipper

Reviving an old thread. I am very interested in getting these skids. However, I'm also interested in getting longer travel shocks. I have the rancho 9k shocks now 329/330. And have room for the rock stars. But wanting to go with the rancho 331/332 for more shock travel. Not sure if they will fit with the rock stars. Gonna cycle Dirtfoots rig tomorrow to find out. Same lift as mine 3" enforcer.
Question is ... What's more important. Longer shock travel or more ground clearance??? Incase the 332 won't work with the rockstars.
I added this pic to show the difference in travel of the shocks.

Reviving an old thread. I am very interested in getting these skids. However, I'm also interested in getting longer travel shocks. I have the rancho 9k shocks now 329/330. And have room for the rock stars. But wanting to go with the rancho 331/332 for more shock travel. Not sure if they will fit with the rock stars. Gonna cycle Dirtfoots rig tomorrow to find out. Same lift as mine 3" enforcer.
Question is ... What's more important. Longer shock travel or more ground clearance??? Incase the 332 won't work with the rockstars.
I added this pic to show the difference in travel of the shocks.

Just to clarify, you will get more down travel out of the shocks you already have by mounting the rockstars. Ive got a 3" enforcer with 29/30 rancho 9ks. They were a tad short but the rockstars make them almost perfect.

chipper

Just to clarify, you will get more down travel out of the shocks you already have by mounting the rockstars. Ive got a 3" enforcer with 29/30 rancho 9ks. They were a tad short but the rockstars make them almost perfect.

That definitely makes sense. It should give me 1.5" I think. Just trying to take advantage of the rancho special with the longer shocks. If it would work. I think the 332 is only 1" longer. So if it would bottom out. I'd be better with the rockstars and 330.

That definitely makes sense. It should give me 1.5" I think. Just trying to take advantage of the rancho special with the longer shocks. If it would work. I think the 332 is only 1" longer. So if it would bottom out. I'd be better with the rockstars and 330.
Yea youll gain approx 1-1.5" of down travel due to the higher mount. Idk if the 332 would bottom, but it would be damn close if it didnt. Then youd have to add bump....and now your losing travel....

chipper

Yea youll gain approx 1-1.5" of down travel due to the higher mount. Idk if the 332 would bottom, but it would be damn close if it didnt. Then youd have to add bump....and now your losing travel....

Cool thanks. Gonna try to find out tomorrow on the 332. If it won't work I won't feel as bad now. Still gonna get the longer shocks for the front tho. Definitely don't wanna add any bump in the rear. Been wanting these rockstars for awhile now.

Cool thanks. Gonna try to find out tomorrow on the 332. If it won't work I won't feel as bad now. Still gonna get the longer shocks for the front tho. Definitely don't wanna add any bump in the rear. Been wanting these rockstars for awhile now.
Cool. Im anxious to hear how it goes. Youll love em. The difference it makes in not dragging rocks on the trail is night and day really...

swampdog

I've got a RK 2.5 that netted me almost 3 and have the Rancho 331/332, so I'm excited to hear how this works for you. I've got 3" of bump front and rear.

deezus

I installed mine this week and they went in very smooth. I have 4.25" shock distance and 4.5 inch distance on my bump stop. I'm running stock uppers in the rear and a 2.75" on the bottom. I have a 13 JKUR and fox reservoir shock non adjuster. What size bumpstop would I need? 4" would give me 1" difference. Thanks.

seansheds

Reviving this old thread because I'm about to pull the trigger on a 4" EVO enforcer and Rancho RS9000's for my 2014 JKU. I'm want to be sure which rear shocks I should order. I'll be ordering the longer 331's for the front but I'm not sure whether I should order the longer 332's for the rear or go down to the 330's since I'll be raising the rear mount with the rockstars. I'm afraid if I order the 332's I'll need to add bumpstop.

Is anyone running this setup that could confirm either the longer or shorter?

deezus

Reviving this old thread because I'm about to pull the trigger on a 4" EVO enforcer and Rancho RS9000's for my 2014 JKU. I'm want to be sure which rear shocks I should order. I'll be ordering the longer 331's for the front but I'm not sure whether I should order the longer 332's for the rear or go down to the 330's since I'll be raising the rear mount with the rockstars. I'm afraid if I order the 332's I'll need to add bumpstop.

Is anyone running this setup that could confirm either the longer or shorter?
Don't have those shocks, but I ended up installing some upper shock brackets for my kings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom